PDA

View Full Version here: : LX200R reviews?

matt
19-09-2006, 07:04 AM
Anyone got any links to reviews/literature on these RC scopes, other than the Meade guff which I've seen?

Am thinking ahead to the next 12-18 months and a possible new scope purchase:D

Dennis
19-09-2006, 07:49 AM
Hi Matt

Cloudy Nights "CN Reports"

http://www.cloudynights.com/documents/meadercx1.pdf
http://www.cloudynights.com/documents/MEADES12part2.pdf

Cheers

Dennis

EDIT: Just realized - these links are for the RC400.

Omaroo
19-09-2006, 07:53 AM
Why not ask Ric? He has one and might give you some of his impressions.

casstony
19-09-2006, 09:31 AM
Lots of discussion in the cloudynights forums regarding the LX200R's, including photo's. IIRC there were problems with mechanical construction of some ota's but Meade was sorting out these teething problems.

Tony

Ric
19-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Hi Matt,
I noticed that you are a member of the Canberra Astronomical Society.
I'll be there on Thursday for the AGM so if your going we can have a chat and I may be able to answer some questions for you.
I have owned mine since May and overall I find it a great telescope and I cannot fault it, I find the optics are brilliant when comparing to my Celestron C8 "orange tube" but in all fairness there is a 30 year difference in the optics so that is a bit like chalk and cheese.

cheers

:astron:

Shawn
23-09-2006, 06:38 AM
Matt, I have a 14" if there is anything specific you would like to know..

matt
24-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Thanks guys.

Good chatting with you Ric.

I'm considering the purchase of a 10" LX200R at some point in the future.

I'm going to use it for astrophotography, but am hoping the RC design offers noticeable improvement over the SCT for visual work as well?

I'm happy, for the time being, with my C9.25 but it's not quite the visual instrument I'd hoped it'd be. Not that I'm complaining or am unaware every scope has it's pluses and minuses.

But if I can upgrade to something which gives me an improvement in one area (in this case, visual), while holding the status quo in another (astropix), that's an improvement all the same:D

I don't want much more aperture than 10" coz I don't want the associated increase in weight and loss of portability. I'll most likely just buy the OTA and mount it on my EQ6.

Thanks again

davidpretorius
24-09-2006, 02:33 PM
keep us updated matt, they are fine scope, I think 1ponders got one or striker???

sejanus
26-09-2006, 04:26 PM
I'm also looking at one of these. let me know how you go? :)

Striker
26-09-2006, 04:50 PM
I'm definetly happy with my 10"LX200R on the Losmandy G11.

Only issue...no flat field or focal reducer made for this scope as yet for large chipped camera...fine for small chipped ccds and webcams.

I have seen some posts regarding collimation problems.....on mine I have collimated it once and have not touched it since.

matt
26-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Hi Tony.

Glad you joined in on this thread. Was hoping you'd offer comment:)

I'm not sure how much visual work you do, but could you offer some comment in that department?

Stars are sharp? Planetary detail? Inside-outside focus star test etc etc

Thanks

Striker
26-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Thats funny Matt...Striker doing visual work...your asking me who has 2 Meade eyepieces that have not come within 2 meters of any off my scope's for the last 6 months and they were only used to start my drift aligning.

I can clearly see the difference in sharpness compared to my C11 but the C11 is still a nice scope.

Another area I feel the Meade has it over the Celestron is mirror flop...my mirror used to flop all over the place when focusing via the sct focus knob but the meade has much less movement in this area....I noticed this immediately between owning the 10" LX200 and the 10" LX200R compared to the Celestron C11.

As far as build quality....I cant see any difference between them both....there both well made.

I liked them both.....its funny that over here the Celestron has the better name but it's the opposite in the states.....it's all Meade...but you still cant go past the great following of the 9.25 which you already have.

Matt....sorry I cant help on the visual side...it really does not interest me......blame my light polution...sorry

matt
27-09-2006, 07:22 AM
:lol: That's what I thought, Tony.

But thanks for all the other info you've offered. It's good to know about that improved mirror flop situation. I love owning an SCT for a variety of reasons, but that's one of the genuine irritations.

Cheers:thumbsup: