PDA

View Full Version here: : Star & Moon Atlases

Hans Tucker
27-04-2015, 10:41 PM
Hopefully this thread won't offend anyone.

I have started collecting Star Atlases. Yeah...weird I know. I finally got a copy of Piotr Brych Great Atlas of the Sky which is coming in from a seller in Germany. I heard a rumour that only 1000 of these atlases were printed. Not a cheap purchase but then it wasn't as expensive as I expected. I have also got a copy of Ronald Stoyan/Stephan Schurig Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas. I know that a few IIS members were collecting certain editions of Norton Star Atlas.

Are there any other limited print star/sky and Moon/Lunar atlases out there?

inline_online
28-04-2015, 04:12 PM
I don't think it is weird at all as I do the same.

I have:
1) Millennium Star Atlas
2) Great Atlas of the Sky by Byrch
3) Herald Bobroff Astroatlas

Next up will hopefully be the field edition of the Interstellarium Deep Sky Atlas. It looks fantastic.

All atlases listed above have seen extensive use outdoors. The MSA gets its own table and is covered by a beach towel when not being used for star hopping. Same with the Byrch atlas.

My wife gives me a hard time as she doesn't see the point of getting more atlases but she's not really into astronomy anyway. I'll keep collecting them. I can't explain it but there is something really special about the look and feel of a high quality star atlas. The day I got the MSA I read it for about 4 hours solid (plane from Sydney to Perth).

I've never used celestial software so can't compare its use to that of an atlas.

Hans Tucker
28-04-2015, 04:59 PM
Thanks Dan...I totally forgot about Millennium Star Atlas. There were a couple of copies for sale on Astromart but the sellers restricted their sales to CONUS only. This will be my next purchase me thinks.

The Interstellarium Deep Sky Atlas - Field Edition is excellent with only one drawback in my opinion. The pages are more towards A4 size rather than foldout A3....a minor gripe