PDA

View Full Version here: : Deer oh Deer.

tilbrook@rbe.ne
24-04-2015, 05:04 PM
All joking a side!!

Fallow deer are becoming a real problem on roads around Clare.

I hit one in my Mini coming home this afternoon , and I'm lucky that it only clipped the right hand front guard and top left of the windscreen pushing it in.

Fairly hair raising when something bigger than your car jumps in front of it!!:scared:
My wife nearly hit one two weeks ago and last year I narrowly missed a large buck and 3 doe's in the work van.

Justin.

cometcatcher
24-04-2015, 08:20 PM
I imagine that would be scary! I'm afraid of venturing far from the city as lots of roos commit suicide in front of cars around these parts.

tilbrook@rbe.ne
25-04-2015, 04:59 PM
Hi Kevin!

Yep, I try and drive long distances only during the day, cuts down the odds, but deer don't see to care what time of day it is.

Refitted the windscreen on the mini, dents will have to wait.

Thanks,

Justin.

Astroman
26-04-2015, 09:35 AM
Who would have thought Deer being a problem... Very Lucky Justin especially with all those corners around the area. Almost came face to face with a couple of very large Kangaroo's around near Tarlee at the intersection of the Horrocks and Barrier Hwy's. Scared the daylights out of me.

tilbrook@rbe.ne
26-04-2015, 10:07 AM
Yep, feel very lucky!!

Deer used to be confined to the ranges around North Bungeree station but gradually moved south over the last 30 years.
Glad you missed the Roo's!!

Cheers,

Justin.

LewisM
26-04-2015, 10:15 AM
I had a close encounter with a behemoth male Roo a while back. Driving from the family property near Monto back to town, one bounded out of the bush - straight at my right side. I literally could smell his breath before SOMEHOW he managed to change direction 90°. I could have extended my arm out the window and touched him.

Never seen even ONE deer in 20 years driving to and from Kingaroy via Blackbutt etc. NOT ONE.

Ric
26-04-2015, 10:17 AM
Haven't met a Deer and don't really want to on a motorbike. As a rural rider I get a lot Roo's around my way which can be a real worry.

One thing I find is that my loud pipes on the bike really do drive them away from the road.

That old saying "Loud pipes saves lives" is really quite true for me.

GrahamL
26-04-2015, 06:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iv0PrlXcxM

ouch ,,though the rockface on the other side would of prolly hurts more :)

big_dav_2001
26-04-2015, 07:34 PM
I recently had a bit of a close call with a large mob of Roo's...

I was the middle car in a convoy of three vehicles traveling along a dirt road not far from Nowra, a group of at least 15 skippys came bouncing out of the bush to the side of the road... The car ahead of me (Toyota Prado) took out two and was un-drivable, the car behind (Hilux) took out at least one, and suffered a fair bit of damage. Somehow, I managed to avoid all of them and got out of it unscathed... Ironically, I was driving my ex-military Landrover Perentie at the time, and was probably the only one out of the three which could have taken a hit (if I had to) and got out with next to no damage...

On the plus side, not being one to let anything go to waste, a bit of bush butchery and we all had full freezers and bellies for a while... Hehe

Davin

Baddad
27-04-2015, 01:01 PM
Some years ago I helped round up deer in a large enclosure. The deer were to be transported. 60 head.
One of the stags negotiated a fence to what it thought was freedom. The fence was 2.6M high. It was hard to believe that the stag got over the chain wire fence.

The owner tracked the stag down. Chased it in a ute until it tired.
The deer can really move fast and are not an easy animal to herd into transports, but we did it. (Never again for me. LOL):)

tilbrook@rbe.ne
27-04-2015, 01:38 PM
It's fortunate for me that they can jump high, as the deer only clipped the Mini.

If I was in the work van probably would have come through the windscreen.

Cheers,

Justin.

jenchris
27-04-2015, 04:40 PM
[QUOTE *and last year I narrowly missed a large buck and 3 doe's in the work van.[/QUOTE]
What were they doing in your van?

tilbrook@rbe.ne
27-04-2015, 05:37 PM
What were they doing in your van?[/QUOTE]

Well I'd run out of doe but I was just passing the buck.:D:D:D

Sorry about that.:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Justin.

ZeroID
27-04-2015, 06:38 PM
Well I'd run out of doe but I was just passing the buck.:D:D:D

Sorry about that.:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Justin.[/QUOTE]

Oh for crying out loud ...... :lol:

Boom Boom !!

jenchris
27-04-2015, 08:10 PM
Basil Brush you ain't lol.
Reminds me of an old boyfriend who needed to relieve himself.
Decided the deer fence was a good quiet spot.
He nearly passed out when the jolt hit him.

AussieTrooper
30-04-2015, 08:37 PM
Venison is quite tasty. I highly recommend it. There's plenty about, and they are feral animals that compete with native wildlife for food, so go get 'em! (But get a slow cooker first.)