PDA

View Full Version here: : Unsafe site

raymo
22-04-2015, 11:59 AM
I'm getting a big red bordered warning purporting to be from Microsoft
that states that IIS is an unsafe site. Anyone know what's going on here?
raymo

AstralTraveller
22-04-2015, 12:34 PM
Yep, visit any of the imaging sections and you'll soon be spending money like water. ;)

Otherwise it's a hoax of some kind. It's not happening to me so I suspect your computer. Any other sites affected?

OzStarGazer
22-04-2015, 01:00 PM
Sometimes you get messages warning you that you computer is infected or that a site is unsafe when they want you to buy their software. But I don't know for sure of course, as I don't know what else the message says or if it says anything else.

bobbyf
22-04-2015, 01:03 PM
I've just had this too Raymo.
Not sure if it's to do with me looking at the site at work, or if it would do the same from home.
Cheers
Bob

OzStarGazer
22-04-2015, 01:08 PM
I have Kaspersky, which is pretty good, and didn't get any warning.
However, I also have an adblock program. Maybe the warning is related to a particular ad or site it refers to?
PS: Nope, I just tried another browser with the ads and nothing happens.

raymo
22-04-2015, 01:20 PM
It says that IIS is an unsafe site as it is used for phishing. It is not trying
to sell me anything, and comes up every time I move from one thread to another, which is a b-------- nuisance. Maybe I'll have to try a system restore to get rid of it.
It now says "go to my homepage instead", so it is obviously a con job.
raymo

barx1963
22-04-2015, 02:29 PM
Just happened to me on my work computer. I will try and get a screen shot if it happens again

Malcolm

barx1963
22-04-2015, 02:40 PM
Here is a print of the screen. Appear to be from MS Smart screen

Malcolm

Regulus
22-04-2015, 04:15 PM
I was getting the same from a site in England I have visited many times. It started just 2 days ago to warn me that the retail website was a known virus site!!!

OzStarGazer
22-04-2015, 04:22 PM
It has been "reported" as unsafe - but by whom?
Can anyone report a site as unsafe?
If this is the case, it could even be a banned spammer who has reported the site as unsafe (as retaliation).

Edit: If you go to Safety in IE, you will see that there is indeed a link to report a site as unsafe. I am not sure if the warning appears immediately after a site is reported or only after their technicians have looked into it. I do have the safety settings on in IE by the way, but get absolutely no warning.

raymo
22-04-2015, 05:40 PM
Went out for a couple of hours; booted up upon return, and it seems to have disappeared.
raymo

OzStarGazer
22-04-2015, 07:12 PM
Good. Maybe it had been reported, but when they checked it they saw we are not a phishing site.

Sundog
23-04-2015, 11:38 PM
StarGazer, you misunderstand. The popup is probably a scam. See the pdf the barx1963 has uploaded (post #8). It has a link "go to homepage instead".

They want you to click the link! Beware!

brian nordstrom
23-04-2015, 11:42 PM
:shrug:yes I got it yesterday , but not today ,, [
I use AVG premium and it did not warn me as well , it is usually right on this type of thing .
Brian.
QUOTE=raymo;1169463]I'm getting a big red bordered warning purporting to be from Microsoft
that states that IIS is an unsafe site. Anyone know what's going on here?
raymo[/QUOTE]