PDA

View Full Version here: : nsw blackouts help

Allan_L
22-04-2015, 09:23 AM
Power has been cut here for 30 hours now.
We are ok have gas cooktop and generator.
But checked a few neighbours and they were not doing so good.
Provided cooked breakfasts and hot water for cups of tea.
Will do dinners for some too if power stays out.

Amazing some people with bbqs didn't think to use them for cooking.

If you are in a blackout area please check on your neighbors.
Especially the elderly.

Keep safety everyone.

Sent from my phone please excuse errors.

AstralTraveller
22-04-2015, 09:42 AM
Good on ya. mate. :thumbsup:

OzStarGazer
22-04-2015, 11:21 AM
Well done, Allan!

glend
22-04-2015, 11:22 AM
Good work Allan. I am one of the few that still have power in my area, and yet am probably best equipped to be without. There is apparently little power on the peninsula here and the Bonnell Bay shopping centre is closed (imagine the food spoiling in Coles). I drove over to Morisett and found a crowd scene not unlike a disaster movie. Big queues at the petrol stations, the only food store open was Woolies and they had only emergency power (no store lights, no open chillers working); All the meat and other perishables had been stripped from the open coolers and thrown in trolleys that were just sitting in the back room with no cooling. Much of this stuff is sploit and will have to be thrown away. The customers were streaming into Woolies expecting things to be as normal and got a real shock. All the bread was gone, they can't bake anymore, and have not had a logistics delivery.

I have run a couple of long extension cords across the street to help out the elderly couple who live there, at least they can run their fridge again.
Don't have to worry about the cords across the road because the fallen tree makes sure no one will run over it.

OzStarGazer
22-04-2015, 11:36 AM
Well done to you too, Glen!

PCH
22-04-2015, 02:01 PM
It's really nice to hear of folks helping other folks in these times of need.

Well done to all of you :)

sharpiel
22-04-2015, 08:52 PM
40 hours no power here now. Not expecting it up tomoz (thursday) either.

Pretty tough trying to run an animal shelter and rehabilitation hospital without electricity. Thankful for gas stove...be great to have light after 17:30 though.

Need to invest in a generator for next time...

GTB_an_Owl
22-04-2015, 10:38 PM
our power went out about 6am Tuesday and came back on Wednesday at 7-10 pm
no major wind or rain damage thankfully

geoff

Allan_L
23-04-2015, 12:41 PM
power still out here, approaching 60 hours off the grid.
Still running power (generator), food, and hot water to several neighbours.

alan meehan
23-04-2015, 04:35 PM
Power was out here as well for 36 hrs ,checked with our elderly neighbours and they were alright ,unfortunately we had a lot of major
damage thanks to a council tree on the footpath

PCH
23-04-2015, 05:41 PM
How can the wind be strong enough to blow down that tree, - yet leave the colorbond fence standing a few meters away?

Strange!

hobbit
23-04-2015, 06:19 PM
Tree may already be weakened

glend
23-04-2015, 06:33 PM
At ground level all sorts of things disturb flow but above the ground the full force of the wind can hit the tree which has a large surface area exposed to the wind. This is typical of turbulent flow. Rain also loosens the earth and root hold around the tree. Large trees become a lever when the wind presses againt it and exerts force on the roots. We had a large tree toppled by the wind on my street and it fell on a cubby house and a colour bond fence which up to that point had not been damaged.

sharpiel
23-04-2015, 09:46 PM
4 days no power now for us. And no communication from AusGrid regarding expected duration of continued outage.

I know they're doing their best. It's just frustrating having no one communicating anything to us.

Strong winds expected again this weekend. The novelty has defitely turned to vast inconvenience and irritation.

Dealy
23-04-2015, 11:32 PM
No power here since Monday either. We've lost everything in the fridge and freezer. The dogs are having a great time eating our defrosted meat.

Glen you can't run a cord up to our place can you?

Ausgrid apparently have said it may be next week before all power is restored. It could be worse though. At least we still have water and sewer, unlike some places.

Allan_L
24-04-2015, 05:51 AM
It's good to hear someone is benefiting from this situation. :P

Bunnings are getting more generators in regularly I hear.
But going quickly too.
All the best.
Stay safe.

glend
24-04-2015, 12:59 PM
I was driving to Bunnings at Morisset this morning and saw a guy with a big trailer stacked with generators setting up shop at the main roundabout coming into town. By the time I returned about a third of them were gone and he had a queue. They cannot have been cheap and looked like typical ebay ones. Sadly his queue looked like elderly people.
I know that some people in the area are being told they will not get power back until Wednesday of next week, so I can understand the desperation.

Free enterprise or free exploiation?

wasyoungonce
24-04-2015, 01:38 PM
Well done Alan, good to hear of community spirit.

I guess there has been a run on BBQ gas?

Allan_L
24-04-2015, 09:36 PM
After 90 hours of darkness, we have finally been restored to normal living standards.
All neighbours survived too.

Best wishes for speedy recovery for those still suffering.

Allan_L
24-04-2015, 09:39 PM
HaHa! Just watch the rush to return generators etc. to Bunnings now, with mysterious undefinable faults.

Dealy
24-04-2015, 11:17 PM
Power is now back on at our place - yeehaa

Not before the damage was done though.

We have a Rinnai instantaneous gas hot water service. Well we were desperate for a shower so I hooked up my cheap generator originally purchased from a rather large hardware chain several years ago. We managed to get about 5 mins of hot water before the HWS died. Not just the fuse but a black burnt out board.

Just priced a new one - $1200 plus installation.

Bummer

Moral of the story - don't use cheap generators on anything that has electronic components

RB
25-04-2015, 12:37 PM
We're still without power here since Monday.
So what's that, five days and counting?
Doesn't look like it will be back on any time soon.
Phone and Internet restored just this morning.

Hope everyone pulled through ok.

RB