PDA

View Full Version here: : Lostock v's Sydney

Rod771
29-03-2015, 09:59 AM
After imaging this field from home, I was keen to shoot it at IISAC and compare the results. Ended up only getting 43 minutes but right from the first sub downloading I was encouraged by the amount of signal coming through. The cone was clearly visible which it wasn't in the subs taken from home. No gradients or ugly LP either. :)

Would have got more data if the next two weren't clouded out. :sadeyes:

First image - Taken from Lostock 43 x 60 sec subs.
Second image - Taken from Parklea , Sydney 176 x 60 sec subs

C11 Edge HD with Hyperstar lens , F2 , Canon 60Da

Lostock large image here (http://astrob.in/full/168202/0/)
Sydney large image here (http://astrob.in/full/159621/B/)

Conclusion, I need to go to more star parties :D

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Rod

strongmanmike
29-03-2015, 06:13 PM
Yep dark (and moonless) skies make suuuuch a difference, cool comparison Rod and a really nice image, with Hubble's variable neb in there too :thumbsup: Shame you only got one clear night at IISAC though :doh:...next year! :thumbsup:

Mike

multiweb
29-03-2015, 07:06 PM
Nice one. The cone in RGB is always a challenge so dark skies help a lot.

Ross G
29-03-2015, 09:01 PM
Great looking photos Rod.

A dark sky makes such a huge difference....better than a bigger scope or camera!

Having said that, your Sydney version looks very good.

Ross.

IanP
29-03-2015, 09:43 PM
Beautiful image Rod .. :thumbsup:
May I ask what sensor temperature BackyardEOS was displaying and what was the 60Da’s Iso :question:

RickS
29-03-2015, 09:48 PM
Nothing like seeing the theory in action, Rod :thumbsup:

Rod771
30-03-2015, 10:14 PM
Thanks Mike! Yeah Hubbles variable nebula made the cut this time, no need to crop as much when you have lovely data from dark skies. :) I hope there's a next year at Lostock. :prey: Mike mentioned doing something different ?

Cheers Marc! :)

Thanks Ross! Yeah I was please with the Sydney image just a tad more subs required.

Thanks Ian! The sensor temp was running between 24 and 27 degrees, the ambient temp was 21, fairly warm night with a bit of wind. The ISO was set at 800.

Cheers Rick! :) Pretty exciting eh! Reading it is one thing but seeing the results with your own data is a real eye opener. I never would have thought only 43 minutes would up stage almost 3 hours at F2.

Placidus
31-03-2015, 08:31 AM
Congratulations on doing some real science with the back to back comparison. I agree with Ross that while the dark site shot is excellent, the Sydney shot is no slouch either given the circumstances.

Rod771
31-03-2015, 08:51 PM
Thanks Mike and Trish! :) It was a fun experiment. I was happy with Sydney image, perhaps I get the same SNR in 1.5 hours if the neighbours turned their back porch light off! Why do they need it on at 3:00am? :shrug: