PDA

View Full Version here: : EQ mount, tripod legs & balance weights

33South
11-09-2006, 02:35 PM
I noticed in most cases the weights are over a tripod leg when in the 'home' position - as per the image in Garyh's EQ5 for sale.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16760&d=1157945792

In mine the weights are between two of legs i.e. the head is rotated 180º as compared to the photo, its possible to change but I would think that once balanced there would'nt any difference, even though it somehow looks more stable when over one of the legs.

So I was just wondering if there is any benefits that would make it worth the effort to change mine? :confuse3:

Thanks.

EzyStyles
11-09-2006, 04:29 PM
same as my EQ6. the counterweights in home position are between 2 of my mount legs. i guess this is normal. since you are using an Eq6, i don't think you can rotate the legs. there is a locking mechanism inplace when you attach the mount to the tripod.

[1ponders]
11-09-2006, 04:31 PM
I don't think it really matters. The only benefit I can see having the counterweight over the leg in the home position is to use the leg to help for a rough eyeball line up of the SCP

asimov
11-09-2006, 04:58 PM
With the weight bar over one leg then 1 leg is taking the 'strain'. In between 2 at least the weight is distributed between 2 legs.

Just a theory.

Lee
11-09-2006, 06:59 PM
On my G-11, the holes on the tripod head are such that the equatorial head will always line up with the CW over a leg. Considering the tripod looks like you could use it as a vehicle stand, I don't think it matters.....

33South
12-09-2006, 08:44 AM
Thanks guys, it shall remain as is.

The square locking pin just screws in the top plate, I know, mine was loose. Theres a hole on the other side so I imagine you can just move the pin which would effectively force the head to be rotated when mounted.