PDA

View Full Version here: : The most detailed map of Australian population density ever

glenc
22-12-2014, 06:58 PM
This might help you get away from it all
http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/ng-interactive/2014/dec/22/the-most-detailed-map-of-australian-population-density-ever

pluto
22-12-2014, 07:05 PM
That's really interesting, thanks for posting :)

Robh
22-12-2014, 08:18 PM
Hi Glen,

Interesting visual representation!
There must be a lower limit. Otherwise, all of central Australia would be yellow.
In the reference, they list it as no population.

Regards, Rob

mithrandir
22-12-2014, 09:46 PM
Generally speaking ABS does not release figures for census data where the numbers in a collector's district are small enough that it might identify individuals. Such collector's districts are aggregated until they will be anonymous. This may be leading to areas being shown as zero population when there are in fact a small number of persons.

blink138
22-12-2014, 10:26 PM
it is interesting but i want to know where EXACTLY are those blackbits!
no towns or landmarks listed
pat

michaellxv
22-12-2014, 10:38 PM
On the other hand, overseas readers would look and wonder at all that apparently empty land. Even Tassie has empty spaces ;)

I'm just glad there are no red spots anywhere near me. :thumbsup:

AstralTraveller
23-12-2014, 10:29 AM
Which ones? Around Sydney you can easily pick out the nat parks and wilderness areas. I can also see the great empty area of the Vic high country where I will spend my holidays. Yeah!

Topography, including rivers and dams, is shown so working things out isn't too hard if you know the area a bit.