PDA

View Full Version here: : Green Laser pointer in view?

ballaratdragons
09-08-2006, 11:18 PM
I have ordered a 10mw green laser pointer and laser mount from Bintel Melbourne and it has only just occured to me:

If I have the laser pointer (as a mounted finder) on an object, will the laser show up when I capture an image of that object?

They will both be pointing in the exact same place.

p.s. Sorry about the scarey Avatar :lol:

[1ponders]
09-08-2006, 11:20 PM
More than likely Ken.

OneOfOne
10-08-2006, 07:39 AM
Actually, I tried to take a shot with my digital camera on a tripod, pointing toward Crux with the laser pointing at Alpha Centauri, with an exposure of 30 seconds. The laser did come out, but wasn't as bright as I thought (mine is only 5mW though). My intention was to try taking an exposure of say 30 seconds while the scope slews from one point to another, but with the feint trail left without the scope moving, I think it would be difficult to get the result I was after.

So yes, you will see it! I guess that is why they are frowned on at dark sites, especially when people are imaging.

ballaratdragons
10-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Thanks Trevor.

Simple, i'll just turn it off when I have the object centred.

circumpolar
10-08-2006, 09:20 PM
Ken, how do you plan to turn the laser on/off?

I have a 10mW laser and have found that using a rubber 'O' ring to slide over the button is the best way to turn it on/off. I fear for people using a threaded screw as the on/off control. There is a risk of over tightening and breaking the button.

The only problem I have using the laser as a finder when mounted on my Dob is that the laser losses intensity when it gets cold! It goes from being a 10mW to a 2mW :mad2: . It must be that the battery is getting cold reducing the output power. After placing my hand arround it for a moment, it returns to normal :) .

ballaratdragons
10-08-2006, 10:19 PM
Dunno Matt, i'll have to work that one out when it arrives.

Yeah, batteries hate cold weather.

Astroman
10-08-2006, 10:33 PM
might have to wrap a dew heater around it :)

ballaratdragons
10-08-2006, 10:36 PM
Or just have a fire burning next to where I am set up. Atleast I'd be warm! :lol:

OneOfOne
11-08-2006, 07:56 AM
I have mine mounted inside a tube of PVC with one screw to hold it in and another to turn it on...I always make sure I am the one turning it on, don't trust anyone else for the reason you pointed out. And I have the same problem with power, some cold nights my 5 seems to drop to less than 1...it will barely scare off a noisy possum!