PDA

View Full Version here: : A Pleasant Evening

Astro_Bot
13-02-2014, 03:12 PM
Well, after nearly three months of fluffy white stuff dominating the sky, SE Queensland finally had some clear weather with (almost) cloudless nights on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Tuesday, I devoted to a little more practice with DSLR planetary photography ... and, once again, I am in a better position to appreciate the fantastic results achieved by others while mine remain pitiful!

Wednesday, I setup for a peaceful* evening at the eyepiece despite the moon. Seeing was poor early on but cleared up after 10pm when the conditions notably cooled. I checked out the double star 145 CMa as recommended by the 2014 Astronomy guidebook - not so hard to spot - and a few other double stars. Then I concentrated on a few favourites since it had been so long:

- The Orion Nebula, where 6 stars of the Trapezium were visible
- Omega Centauri and other globulars
- The Moon (of course)
- Mars (just)
- Jupiter, watching a lazy GRS transit and the occultation of Ganymede - I can comfortably watch Jupiter for hours!

What can I say? It's better than television. :)

* I say peaceful, but I set up at the front of my house due to being totally "treed in" on the other three sides. This means that I get occasional interruptions from car headlights and all manner of passers by - you'd be surprised how many people walk their dogs late at night. Also, when the weather is balmy and people leave their windows open, I get to hear every domestic dispute within a half-block radius.

MortonH
13-02-2014, 06:52 PM
I had a similar night last week. Very nice :D

AG Hybrid
14-02-2014, 10:35 AM
Grats on the clear night. If I remember you haven't had one in a while.