PDA

View Full Version here: : Self modding the 1100D

Rex
20-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Hi everyone, this afternoon I bit the bullet and self modded my 1100D. There is a wealth of info out there about this subject and it's actually not that hard to do. Especially with the later models such as mine, because you simply remove the second low pass filter and leave the first low pass filter intact. Apparently the first low pass filter does the same job as the Baader replacement glass and the second is the IR cut filter. The only down side of not replacing it is that autofocus is no longer accurate. This isn't a problem for me as my 1100D is used for astro photo's only. The other advantage of doing this is that now when I use my CLS-CCD clip filter which is all the time, my whitebalance is restored to almost normal. I know a lot of you probably already know this, but thought maybe there is someone out there like me that had this on the list to do, but waiting for it's turn on the budget. By not replacing the second filter it has cost me nothing but a few hours of my time. Now all I have to do is wait for the moon to go away so that I can try it out. Hoping to get some of the Rosette Neb next new moon.

nebulosity.
20-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Good job Rex :thumbsup: your going to be impressed with the performance after this.

Beware of pulling apart cameras, you'll quickly loose all fear of them and start hacking off the unused bits and adding cooling :lol:

Even worse is when you start scraping the bayer CFA off the sensor :rofl: you'll be hooked :thumbsup: the value of stuff starts getting compared to the number of 2nd hand DSLR's you could get. :D

Jo

Rex
20-10-2013, 10:52 PM
Thanks Jo. Funny you should say that, I am already researching cooling methods. That's the next project lol.