PDA

View Full Version here: : Icelandic postcards

Peter Ward
06-09-2013, 02:44 PM
I guess these images will probably only be of interest to those who have been, or might want to travel to Iceland...however I enjoyed the journey immensely :)

The link is here (http://www.atscope.com.au/BRO/officewindow/galleyICE1.html)

multiweb
06-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Pretty amazing place. Seeing people in the shot gives a sense of scale in the last one with the icebergs. These things are huge. #2 is my pick of the bunch. Just love the details in the vapour clouds. Not unlike SNR nebulosity. The astro-processing streak at work here? :lol:

iceman
06-09-2013, 02:59 PM
What an amazing place. Would love to go one day.

Nice shots!

Ric
06-09-2013, 03:03 PM
It's an amazing country Peter.

Wonderful images, thanks for sharing.

Peter Ward
06-09-2013, 03:15 PM
Indeed, glad you like them

Ta. While it's about as far from Sydney as you can get, I'd go back in a heartbeat...we only managed to see half of what we intended.

Thanks Marc. Yep, the second shot is my favorite as well... it took some effort as the spray from the falls was constantly raining down on the camera/lenses....thankfully the 5D is weather sealed!

multiweb
06-09-2013, 03:24 PM
I thought it was noise in the water fall on the far left until I realised they're actually single water droplets. What was your exposure time. Must have been challenging with the sun glaring up front to bring up the shadows?

Peter Ward
06-09-2013, 04:28 PM
The 16-35mm L is pretty sharp glass, I also shoot in RAW to help with highlights/shadows . 1/320th @ ISO 100.

gary
06-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Splendid shots!

Have some family members going there shortly. Obviously a lot to look forward to.

LewisM
06-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Just amazing.

Have to go - always wanted to, will do so. Maybe Greenland too.

Octane
06-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Beautiful, Peter.

I can't wait for Seljandfoss and Jokulsarlon. I have wanted to go there forever and a day. These images are making me excited for my own trip. :)

H

Peter Ward
06-09-2013, 08:47 PM
Thanks... we only found the weather to be trying....particularly at
Jokusarlon, where the winds were easily 45+ knots (I quickly learnt to park our hire-car into wind ! ), but I'm sure you'll have a fantastic experience ;)

Ta.:)

They'll have a great time! The locals are very friendly and helpful.

Octane
06-09-2013, 09:35 PM
Wind and weather don't bother me. I'm the idiot who gets drenched head to toe under waterfalls in wintertime to get the shot!

I'll also be taking heavy tripods (as well as the top of the line Manfrotto ball head, which is rated for 15 kg) so they should help with the wind (at least I hope!). :)

Look forward to more of your piccies.

H

Peter Ward
06-09-2013, 10:27 PM
Agreed cold/rain/snow- no problem.

The 90km/hour winds we experienced were problematic. In the open, even a "mild" +4c after 10 minutes hurt.

The one bit of kit that was worth its weight in gold was my CamRanger....after setting up the shot I could retreat to our 4WD and control the camera remotely with my i-pad ;)

ourkind
07-09-2013, 02:31 AM
Beautiful photographs Peter! The waterfalls and icebergs are amazing, what an amazing landscape. Thanks for suggesting the Camranger, I've just ordered one!

RickS
08-09-2013, 04:49 PM
Very nice, Peter. Brings back memories :thumbsup: In two trips, one late summer and one in winter, we only had truly horrible conditions once and that was on top of a glacier. We must have been lucky :)

Bassnut
08-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Just jaw dropping Peter :eyepop:. Very well captured indeed. Atmospheric.

Peter Ward
08-09-2013, 05:23 PM
Thanks Fred. It's a very beautiful country. I could have easily spent another week there, infact, intend to return (I'm hoping QF may once again offer extended London layovers :prey: )

For our stay, overcast conditions were the norm...often with passing showers. Unfortunately we only ever saw the northern lights through cloud....:sadeyes:

astronobob
08-09-2013, 07:46 PM
Wow, a landscape photog's dream ? Very well executed captures and subject matter Peter :thumbsup: Envious .