PDA

View Full Version here: : Goodbye southern skies, hello northern skies

erick
28-05-2013, 01:10 PM
Hi everyone. I've been a bit quiet lately as various changes in my life have arisen. But it is now 99% definite -my wife and I are headed closer to the North Pole shortly.

I am taking up a position in Haifa, Israel for five or more years, leaving within months.

Goodbye southern skies, which will be sad. But I'll now get a chance to investigate the northern hemisphere skies. But not from Haifa - that part of Israel is wall-to-wall light pollution! However, three hours drive gets me to the Negev Desert, in the southern part of the country down towards the Red Sea. That is where the University of Tel Aviv has its major observatory and the light pollution maps look promising. Mind you, I wonder how to fight off marauding wild camels in the dark? I don't think dew will be a problem, rather it may be sudden sandstorms!

Now what to take with me? The SDM definitely. But what about everything else I have got and all the projects I had in mind? I cannot store it all for years?

There might be a "fire sale" shortly - keep your eyes open.

Cheers
Eric

gary
28-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Hi Eric,

Good luck with the move.

Best regards

Gary

Shano592
28-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Boy, you've sure got ants in your pants!

You only just arrived into civilisation from Victoria.

Hope you have a great experience in the Land of David.

As for your gear ... perhaps a long term loan to someone you trust ... (not me, for those of you playing at home - Eric and I have spoken just the one time at the Pony Club).

Rob_K
28-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Wow, that's big news Eric! Good luck with the move, gonna miss the red circle of death at star parties. ;) But, situation is nothing when it comes to communication so I'll look forward to your (northern) observing reports. :thumbsup:

Cheers -

barx1963
28-05-2013, 01:29 PM
I am thinking it's a long way from the Negev to Snake Valley mate! All sounds very exciting, a part of the world that is on my list to visit.

Best wishes for a safe move and look forward to some observing reports.

Malcolm

Ric
28-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Best of luck with the trip Eric.

It sounds like it will be quite an adventure with new skies to explore.

Cheers

Larryp
28-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Good luck with your adventure, Eric-it sounds great :thumbsup:

niko
28-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Safe travels to you and your wife Eric.

You'll be master of northern star hopping in no time!

Snake Valley won't be the same without you

bojan
28-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Hi Eric,
well, it's good.. But you will find that Southern hemisphere is more interesting than the Northern one - I know because I know :P
Bon voyage and come back!

LewisM
28-05-2013, 05:41 PM
There is an Israeli astro-imager (Harel I think his name is here) that occasionally visits here, and shoots in the Negev. May want to liaise with him?

mozzie
28-05-2013, 06:54 PM
well done erick..it must be a wonderful job to up and leave oz...all the best and clear skies in the north.

Deeno
28-05-2013, 07:15 PM
Wow!
Thats a big change.
All the best for the future and bon voyage

Paul Haese
29-05-2013, 09:22 AM
What a wonderful adventure you are about to embark upon. Best wishes for the time you are away and I look forward to talking face to face again and you telling us about the night skies you see. Good luck.

Ric
29-05-2013, 09:43 AM
I was just thinking Eric, at least polar alignment will be a lot easier. :D

astroron
29-05-2013, 11:30 AM
Best of fortune on your new Adventure Eric:)
I will look forward to your communications from the
Northern Hemisphere.:)
Cheers:thumbsup:

lacad01
29-05-2013, 11:37 AM
All the best with the move Eric. Will be great to hear some reports of your Northern observing once you've settled in :thumbsup:

niko
29-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Ric, fat lot of good that'll do him - he's strictly an eyeballer!

Eric, bring Polaris home with you to help us poor imagers!

Liz
29-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Wow, what a huge move Eric, but sounds exciting. All the best, and let us know how those clear desert skies go. :sunny:

erick
30-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Yes, I think I'll only take visual gear, the SDM and the C8, but I should take the wedge for the C8 so perhaps pointing at Polaris (+/- a few degrees, isn't it) will happen.

deanm
30-05-2013, 03:05 PM
Good luck (you'll need it - can be a pretty crazy place!).

I did a post-PhD stint at the Weizmann Institute (south-east of Tel Aviv) back in 1997 & remember stumbling (jet-lagged!) through an orange grove on my way to work, on day one (at 3 AM!) & seeing what I thought was a military helicopter at altitude with a search light beaming into the dark.

Turned out it was comet Hale-Bopp!

Haifa is an 'interesting' place. There are lots of 'interesting' places, although when we were there, my Israeli pal (who I'd gone to school with in Singapore 15 years prior), who was an IDF combat pilot, always packed his pistol when he took us for weekend visits.

We left only on the advice of the Oz consulate: they were evacuating their staff because of the Intifada.

You'll have *many* stories to share in years ahead...! And be prepared for F15s & F16s overflying overhead at 200 feet on Shabbat (on their way to a 'routine task').

And pedestrian crossings in Jerusalem have no 'cross request' buttons: use of such would offend Orthodox types on the Sabbath (must not "make fire").

Yoffi!

Dean

erick
30-05-2013, 10:12 PM
Thanks Dean. I have been to Israel a number of times but only for some weeks visit before this opportunity. An elevator on "Shabbat service" is an interesting sight. Love Israeli breakfasts in the hotel.

h0ughy
30-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Best of luck for the new digs - but the net is not far away so look forward to hearing from you from you when you are there

erick
31-05-2013, 01:58 PM
Thanks David, I intend to stay in touch over IIS.

Now the fun begins - I'm about to test out my travel insurance - having to cancel a major European trip in Oct/Nov which is already booked and paid for! :help:

erick
26-07-2013, 01:05 AM
No, travel insurance didn't work - oh well.

Shipment has gone. I got enthusiastic and shipped the SDM, the C8 (with stand and wedge), a four inch refractor, my 20x80 binos and a Televue Telepod mount (fitted with Argo Navis). Plus plenty of eyepieces and accessories. Well, five years is a long time! Even then, quite a deal of equipment has gone into storage (four 8" Newtonians included!)

We fly out on Monday. I am sure looking forward to the current 30+ deg temperatures at destination! (given we have shipped all warm clothes apart from a light vest each. And I have had a "summer" haircut some days ago!)

I'll try to check in with you all soon after we get settled.

All the best everyone
Eric

GrahamL
26-07-2013, 07:17 AM
Best wishes Eric,

mental4astro
26-07-2013, 07:48 AM
I wish you and your wife a safe and happy time, Eric.

Shame your SDM is migrating too... :rolleyes: :lol:

erick
10-08-2013, 11:13 PM
Hello, I'm here. It's hot and humid! Normal for August.

Not many stars to see in these light pollution-soaked skies, but I can see sights I haven't seen much before.

Still settling in and awaiting my internet attachment - currently "hot-spotting" via my Galaxy S2.

I'll update in the future. My scopes are probably still crossing the equator in the shipping container. Hopefully not sinking to the bottom of the Indian Ocean :sadeyes:

Rodstar
11-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Hope all goes well Eric.

What a privilege to have the opportunity to live in the country so central to world history. Stay safe; I imagine there would some places best to stay clear of.

If you get the chance to visit some of the Biblical sites, it would be great to see some pictures on IIS!

RB
11-08-2013, 07:22 PM
Eric I missed this thread.
Wow you don't know how envious I am, Israel is my favourite OS destination.
Oh how I miss those Israeli breakfasts!

Please keep us updated and as Rod said post some pics of your travels around the country.

Stay safe and enjoy.

RB

erick
11-09-2013, 04:29 AM
In 30 min, the Israeli wharfies should start unloading the container ship which has carried my container from trans-shipment in Singapore. Hopefully a customs official in a good frame of mind waves it through, then a trip by truck up the coast with possible delivery Sunday (first day of the working week). We cannot wait - fingers and toes crossed that the contents survived the long trip. :help:

Hopefully also take possession of a car in the next week. The car I had wanted (Mazda 3 hatch) and measured up in Australia to be sure it would fit my scope - sadly, no stock will be in the country before my time period runs out to buy it tax-free. So I've had to take a different make (Toyota - the Auris, which is effectively a Corolla hatch). I'll make my scope fit! :D

Been studying the maps, the national parks guides and Google Street View which is pretty comprehensive in Israel. Have identified lots of potential viewing locations ranging from 30 min to 3 hours away. And some very interesting country and history to be seen on my only whole day off - Saturday. Friday will probably become observing night - but that is Shabbat (the Sabbath day) - could be problematic in some places.

All quite an adventure for a boy from coastal Queensland. :P

erick
22-09-2013, 05:18 AM
Shipment arrived last Monday. All carried up two flights of stairs. managed to get to the telescopes today. Looking good - no evidence of any problems so far.

Unpacked the SDM. Several layers of tough bubble wrap, then a cardboard layer then a few more layers of bubble wrap. It is looking fine. I had strapped the mirror box to the rocker box. I packed the mirror separately in the GSO supplied box and I'm sure it is fine. Upper tube assembly also looks good in its custom box (to which I added additional packing).

I zeroed the temperature and humidity gauges before packing. Today it read maximum temperature 40.8 deg C and maximum humidity 70%. From inside several layers of packing. So far all the electronics that I shipped is working well - TV, DVD players and 5.1 sound system are working well, as are the washing machine, dryer, microwave etc.

Now I need a car - hopefully it will be available early this week before the next round of holidays in Israel. I've been here 6 weeks - this will be the fourth holiday day or days since I arrived.

deanm
22-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Eric - when you get a car, *never* drive through a religious neighbourhood during Shabbat.

We accidentally did once, in Jerusalem, and got stoned (& not in a pleasant way!) - even with an Oz flag in the rear window to attempt to atone for any unintended transgressions.

They collect stones the day before (to avoid performing 'work' on Shabbat) & apparently it's okay to throw them at people violating the Sabbath because this is punishment, doing G*d's work...!

Dean

(& you can afford a car?!! We bought a 20-year old VW for Au$3000, and the gearbox blew after 100 km!)

erick
30-11-2013, 09:57 AM
Finally, the SDM saw northern skies tonight. I found a place 30 min from Haifa. Still not good - too much passing traffic and local hoons/boy-racers. Was visited by the local constabulary after a couple of hours - someone would have called in "suspicious behaviour" - but they were quickly satisfied. Also dark at that spot meant an SQM reading of 19.8!

Started the night with much cloud. Took me quite a while to work out the bright stars in the gaps. Wonder if I should have done a head stand to work it out - but I got it sorted and the Argo Navis didn't miss a beat after that. SDM is in good shape after all the travels. Restored the Primary to the mirror cell and it needed a bit of collimation. But all good. Clouds cleared after a couple of hours. Readily resolved E and F stars in the Trapezium while it was only some 15 deg up from the horizon. Happy with that.

Polaris is nothing exciting, is it. But I didn't know it was a double.

However, most exciting - check the pic - sorry the phone camera would not focus. The scope is pointed at M31, which I have never seen much above the horizon in Australia! I'm looking forward to darker skies for it alone. I did try to pull NGC 253 out of the murky and rather bright southerly sky, but couldn't do it.

Temperature got down to 12 deg by 10:30pm (Sunset 4:30pm at the moment) - pretty cold for here, given the temperature didn't drop below 25 deg overnight two nights ago!

So far, so good. :)

gary
30-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Hi Eric,

It's been a long journey but great to hear that you were finally able to get the
SDM out for first northern light.

Perhaps between doing burn-outs, one of the local hoons thought you looked
up to mischief? Dobbed in for owning a Dob so to speak.

Great to hear that your Argo Navis was able to help resolve what otherwise looks
all topsy-turvy at those latitudes. I am aware of a few others installed there in Israel
so nice to know yours will be in good company.

Though your SQM reading of 19.8 is probably less of an indication of the quality
of the observing skies at your spot but more of an indication of how far
civilization has advanced since the invention of agriculture in the
Middle East 10,000 years ago, nevertheless you faired better than back here in
Sydney where it was overcast and rain last night.

Look forward to your future reports.

Best Regards

Gary Kopff
Wildcard Innovations Pty Ltd

erick
06-04-2014, 04:29 AM
I've now checked out what the light pollution map shows to be the darkest location in northern Israel. Took a group of 11 newbies there and set up with binoculars, the C8 and the SDM.

Better than previous, but still not good. SQM came down to 20.6 at 2am. No nearby lights apart from red aircraft warning lights on several nearby towers. But we were up at some height and looking around the horizon I could probably see several hundred thousand houses, shops etc. within 15 km radius. Clouds came over occasionally and they were lit from below - white.

I finally was able to take a good look at that part of the sky which I've never been able to spend time observing before. And everything I do know is upside down here! Pleasingly, the Argo Navis still finds everything - it's not confused :D

But I had many excited people observing through a telescope for the first time: 3 day old Moon; Jupiter, Mars, Saturn after midnight, Orion nebula and a handful of galaxies and a few globulars. We finished off the night as Alberio rose for a final nice view.

The seeing was quite reasonable, I was holding 300x much of the night in the SDM with a 5mm eyepiece. But only at higher scope elevations - the air here is full of haze from dust, I estimate 19 days out of 20. E & F stars nicely separated in the Trapezium. A number of Saturn's small moons quite sharp. Also dark enough so that most of the first-time observers were seeing all three galaxies of the Leo Triplet when they reached the meridian (NGC 3628 was the challenge of course).

The most enthusiastic of them agreed we have to head for the Negev Desert - that's the next goal.

Best wishes from the Northern hemisphere. Eric

erick
29-10-2014, 06:34 AM
I made it there last weekend. A scouting trip but with a bit of acting like a tourist as well.

Set up my 20x80s (Argo Navis-directed of course :) ) to have a first look at the skies. The photo is close to where I set up, but back about 20m from that 300m drop cliff down into the Ramon Crater. Spectacular place and amazing country.

I could see the dome of one of Tel Aviv University's observatories just over the hill behind me to the West.

A fair light dome from little (5,700 population) Mitspe Ramon to the East, but pretty good skies overhead and to the South and West. SQM meter down to 21.1 around 11pm.

Compared to northern Israel that is plagued with poor visibility mainly due to dust, visibility was very good here.

Looks like a promising location for a few visits a year. Just a longish (3 hour) drive on extremely busy and fast highways to contend with.

Best wishes from north of the equator :hi:
Eric

RB
29-10-2014, 08:15 AM
That looks stunning.
Thanks for the update Eric, glad you're able to find a great spot to observe from.
Keep us informed and take plenty of pics.
Stay safe.

RB

erick
22-05-2015, 05:27 AM
I'm persisting :D Here we are - New Moon Friday night in May in about the darkest spot in Northern Israel. And look! I found a slab on which to set up. :thumbsup:

Just a few (thousands, unfortunately) of folks nearby, as the second photo shows.

SQM meter got down to 20.3 overnight. Only about a third of the sky was noticeably dark. Light domes crept up into most of the rest and washed it out somewhat.

I was showing a number of new observers what could be seen. Had one Northern Hemisphere amateur with me.

It turned out to be a brilliant evening, even with quite a heavy dew forming. Weather was excellent. Dust levels were acceptable. Seeing was amazingly good - I started with Jupiter and the GRS was very well defined - I've never had great success observing it. Also a very sharp shadow transit under way. Later the moon, probably Io, appeared as a pimple on the limb and cleanly lifted off! Later in the night the good seeing was repeated on Saturn - banding and polar variation clearly visible. Cassini division clear all the way round the front - just brilliant. We were working at 300 magnification (with a 5mm eyepiece) and I started adding barlow. x2 gave a better view. x3 didn't improve the view but it didn't fall apart and become unusable. Goodness - 900 magnification - I cannot remember getting there before now. The planet fairly whipping across the field of view but I was successfully hand tracking with the SDM - a simply marvellous telescope.

However the sky quality didn't give galaxy and globular cluster views that thrilled me - but the first time observers were excited. I also worked through the brighter nebulae and for some, my trusty DGM NPB filter provided a much nicer view.

I had also inserted a user catalog in the Argo Navis with selected double stars - a sort of "Goldilocks" collection - not too dim, not too close together, not too far apart, not too different in magnitude and, where possible, with colour variations (look up 24 Coma Berenices). That worked a treat and interested the observers.

One last thing to try. Omega Centauri rose to 10 deg elevation to the south and I was pleased when I could get a general view of it through the mush and dust in the air. Then I could swing the scope to M13. The Northern Hemisphere amateur agreed that yep, OC was significantly bigger.

http://www.astrosurf.com/comolli/d159.htm

My friends trickled away during the night for the hour drive home. I watched a lovely crescent Moon rise, then the Sun rise to shine into the depths (>200m below sea level!) of the Jordan Valley. Waited an hour or so to get most of the dew off the scope, then packed up and drove home - a happy camper! :)

astroron
22-05-2015, 10:52 AM
Thanks Eric,great to see you enjoying the northern sky's even though the conditions were not what you were used to down under.
Cheers:thumbsup:

deanm
22-05-2015, 09:19 PM
Eric - have you been to Masada yet?

There's a cable car nowadays, but it's still something of a
'coming of age' event to to do the climb (or descent) on foot.

All IDF 'Nashos' get to do it.

I did the descent, & it nearly bloody well killed me (& I was fit & only 34..)

Dean

erick
26-05-2015, 04:33 AM
Probably be the end of my "age" if I attempted it Dean :sadeyes:

No, haven't visited as yet but will some day. And probably take the cable car.

Can be a dangerous place - a young lady died quite recently in extremely hot conditions:

http://forward.com/news/breaking-news/308476/florida-state-student-falls-to-death-at-scorching-masada/

erick
24-02-2019, 03:04 PM
Back in Oz to stay - retired :thumbsup:

jwoody
24-02-2019, 03:52 PM
Welcome back and congratulations on retirement.
Enjoy!

gary
24-02-2019, 04:25 PM
Hi Eric,

Congratulations on retirement and good to hear you are back home safely.

Best Regards

Gary Kopff
Wildcard Innovations Pty Ltd

Rob_K
24-02-2019, 06:49 PM
Good on you Eric, welcome back! :thumbsup:

Cheers -

astroron
24-02-2019, 08:56 PM
Welcome back Eric.:)
Enjoy your retirement
:thumbsup:

bojan
25-02-2019, 08:34 AM
Lucky you...

See you in Snake Walley soon :-)

xelasnave
26-02-2019, 10:29 AM
Welcome back Eric.
Now that you are retired you hopefully get in more astronomy.
Good luck keep active.
Alex

Shano592
26-02-2019, 11:45 AM
Welcome back home, sir!

erick
26-02-2019, 08:56 PM
Thank you everyone - hope to see you around the astrocamps and club activities. Still getting life organised to give me the freedom I'll need.