PDA

View Full Version here: : Freak

Sonia
19-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Heya all,
Im getting called a freak with my friends. They think im strange because i like to see whats up there. I get weird looks and its now depressing me. Its starting to get to me.

Has anyone had this problem?? What did you do??

asimov
19-05-2006, 07:36 PM
I figured the friends I had that thought I was weird were not true friends after all. I thought THEY were weird for not taking an interest in their surroundings and used to let them know quiet bluntly until they felt stupid.

If they can't take you as you are, I say stuff 'em!

mickoking
19-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Sonia,

I doesn't matter how people judge you, their opinions are not valid. If you are happy with your self and with what you do thats what counts, dig it ;)

leon
19-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Hi Sonia

I'm classed as the village idiot sometimes while out side in the cold while they are warm in bed, but they are the ones missing out on what we see out there.
But they sure as hell want to look at the pictures.......Hypocrites.
Dont let it worry you.....and :) :)

dugnsuz
19-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Look if you don't small-talk about reality TV, Soaps, Brad and Angelina or the Divinci Code then people will always think you're a freak!!

What did I do?
... I rented Mr & Mrs Smith! As conversational material.

No, Give over!!!

Water/Duck's back - you get the idea!

Enjoy your differences - they are gifts.
Cheers
Doug

matt
19-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Don't worry Sonia.

It's just a phase they, and you, are going through.

They're just being narrow-minded and you're understandably worried about what they think of you.

You'll grow out of that... maybe they won't:rofl:

If they were true friends they'd want you to do whatever makes you happy.

We like ya:thumbsup:

Miaplacidus
19-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Hi Sonia,

There are lots of responses people on this forum could make, but really it depends on you, what sort of person you are, and about what is important to you. Personally, I'm happy to embrace my own "freakishness" or "to get in touch with my inner geek", whatever. Still, the truth is that most people crave some social validation for the stuff that they do, even hobbies, and for a lot of us that comes from friends. I guess it is easy to say that TRUE friends will accept you, warts and all, but in reality it isn't always that easy. (Mind you, it is a nice put-down to be able to say "I'd have to think less of myself if I enjoyed your good opinion of me".) Anyway, have you joined an astro club? There's enough real freaks in them to make you start feeling comparatively normal pretty quickly. Besides, they'll appreciate whatever astronomical freakishness you choose to retain.

Don't worry, be happy.

Keep looking up (if that's what you want to do).

Cheers,

Brian.

[1ponders]
19-05-2006, 08:01 PM
"What other people think of me is none of my business" It's what you think of you that is important.

Do you enjoy what you are doing? Of course you do. Have you considered they may be envious that you have something to be passionate about that doesn't involve clothes, boys, partying and drinking (I'm assuming here as I have an 18 year old daughter (God I'm old :sad:...but I don't feel it...often :P )) Do they have people on the other side of the planet (a planet that you probably know far more about than they do and understand how fragile it is) that they can talk about their passion with? I don't think so.

It's called tall poppy syndrome Sonia. If you dare to stand out above the crowd there are people who are always ready to try to cut them down. Even you friends. It's fear, based on insecurity. We, everyone, get to face these challenges. It's how you respond to them that can often determine the sort of person you will become. Strong, confident and not afraid of a challenge, or stuck doing the same thing day in day out.

Friends accept their friends, without judgement. My mates think I'm a raving loony, but in a loving way :lol:

mickoking
19-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Don't let other peoples (un informed) opinions change the things that make you the good person you are :) You have nothing on me, I'm a western Buddhist, that gets a few tounges wagging at times :D

fringe_dweller
19-05-2006, 09:24 PM
one of us, one of us, one of us...
yep - welcome to the world of AA :)
Thats why we seek out like minded freaks like on this forum :D
This place is fairly freaksville, hey I am a musician as well (just about to lean heavily back that way) we get loads of crap too, specially when your older, so I get double/triple doses of freakiness. In the words of a famous aussie muso - 'people can be so unkind'.
.. and don't forget the old and true saying 'if you die with just one true friend - you've done very well'
So put on your favourite music up loud as possible (preferably 'rock and roll' and blow the evil ghosts/spirits away, they hate loud rock music - just like the chinese use firecrackers for,
reasons to be cheerful
viva the freaks!
one of us, one of us, one of us

Gargoyle_Steve
19-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Just drop hints about how it's WAY too cool for them, and about how only people with smarts can really appreciate what astronomy has to offer. After that if they then do NOT start to show an interest and want to have a look with you it just proves, to them and to you, that they are neither as cool nor as smart as you are!

acropolite
19-05-2006, 10:27 PM
Don't worry about it Sonia, if they call you names like that they're not real friends. If more people looked up and learned to question the world around them the world would probably be a much better place.:tasdevil:

alan meehan
19-05-2006, 10:43 PM
HI SONIA
CLOUDS DEPRESS ME .JOIN A ASTRO CLUB.MAYBE SHOW YOUR FRIENDS WHATS ABOVE THEIR HEADS.:mad2:

gaa_ian
19-05-2006, 10:43 PM
Sonia ... Your passion for astronomy has got you this far into astronomy, despite the other pressures I am sure you have in your life .... don't let anyone else "Steal your dreams".
As others have said, they just don't understand your passion, so it is easier to deliver a putdown to you rather than try to understand.
You should PM "Silvinator" on IIS, she has gone on to study Astronomy & has had a feature article in one of our national astro Mags, applauding her passion & dedication to astronomy & she has a supportive boyfriend !

wraithe
20-05-2006, 01:04 AM
Hey your only a freak, damm wish i could say i only had one title...they call me a freak and a geek and when that dont work they try other nasties...
Just smile, and when they don't know where to look, you can have the last laugh..
:D

dugnsuz
20-05-2006, 01:29 AM
TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF SONIA.
I KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO BE AN AMATEUR ASTRONOMER IN THE UK!!
IF IT'S NOT THE CRAPPY WEATHER, IT'S YOUR FRIENDS!!
I LIVED IN SCOTLAND FOR 30 YEARS BEFORE MOVING TO OZ.
LUCKILY, MY FRIENDS WERE FREAKS LIKE ME WHO LOVED TO LOOK THROUGH MY TELESCOPE (AND BELIEVE ME THEY WERE "FREAKS").

BUT IT CAN BE A SOLITARY OBSESSION SOMETIMES.
I HOPE YOU CAN SHOW YOUR FRIENDS THAT THERE IS A GOOD REASON TO LOOK UP.
SORRY FOR SHOUTING, BUT MY SON IS PLAYING RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE REAL LOUD...SHUT THE ********!!!:mad2:

That's better :)
Cheers
Doug:thumbsup:

asimov
20-05-2006, 01:38 AM
LMAO Doug...Thats why they invented ear plugs..ya know??:rofl:

Be thankful it isn't Marilyn Manson he's thrashing ;)

Adrian-H
20-05-2006, 01:53 AM
im guessing that you are still young. id have to say unfortnetly, most young people these days, are not interested in educational hobbies, and rather, dismiss them and dismiss the people that have these hobbies, best not listen to them, be yourself, and if they dislike you for it, they are not really your friends, they are just tools with role models for there esteem, with no self esteem!, when people grow older, they usally find that people that where once there friends, who the hell are they now? or better yet, who are you now? a better person? i would think so by the looks of it,

dont let anyone get you down, you are in control of your feelings.. and people who are weak, they love to effect people with there actions, because they have no control over there own feelings.

hell, i am a freak too though, yay for freaks, join the darkside sonia its good for you!

here, you are a speical person, you obserb, aknowledge of what is going on. in this world most of the population, well.. they live in a denial... and well, they are not exactly friendly, towards earths cause.

astro_nutt
20-05-2006, 11:12 AM
Hi Sonia, I'm sure your "friends" will get over the shock, or grow up!!..Astronomy is many things besides a science and means diffrent things to diffrent people...because it is not "fashonable" like seeing a group of people on exhibition 24/7 and the such!!..You are undertaking an adventue, to discover and learn more about our Universe which we all share. And doing so without harming, degrading or competeing with anyone. Why would someone be cruel to you for that?? My circle of friends were curious at first but were amazed after they could see the features on the Moon, Nebulae's, etc...I even do shows at the local Primary School!!..Even where I work, I get asked to explain an article from a newspaper, etc...So be proud of the fact that you have the willingness and fortitude to venture into the greatest unknown!!...as for those who continue to riddicule..that's just a sign of their petty insecurity...ignore them!!!
Cheers to you!!

janoskiss
20-05-2006, 11:35 AM
Hi Sonia, I'd just ignore people like that. If they don't like astronomy, that's too bad for them.

When you are looking up and exploring the night sky, all you are doing is having a look at where you live. It's natural human curiosity. I find that a lot of people are fascinated and very grateful when I show them something spectacular (e.g., Saturn, Jupiter, Omega cent).

It's just a sign of immaturity that your friends pick on you for not being a conformist drone. Pay no attention to them. I bet they still want to look through your telescope, right? ;)

Starkler
20-05-2006, 11:46 AM
I dont agree with any thoughts expressed above that promote seeing your thoughts or interests as superior to those of anyone else. They are simply different. Thats just a self deception to make one feel superior and better about themselves at the expense of the others belittling you and is just as smallminded IMO.

As we travel through life we pass through phases. We grow, and the priorities in life change as we age and mature. Friendships grow, change or become outgrown as our priorities and outlook on life change. Some of the friendships we had in high school can very suddenly seem irrelevant as we pass into adulthood.

My advice Sonia is to simply seek out people who share common interests and values, those who appreciate the things that make Sonia, Sonia :)

mickoking
20-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Well put Geoff, good call.

ving
20-05-2006, 04:05 PM
I have a teenage daughter... I know what this is all about, but she is only 15 I'd have thought you friends would have grown out of it by now. Teenagers (particularly girls) can be really cruel, even "friends" something i'll never understand. It's al about being seen to be popular. they all listen to the same music, watch the same TV shows and like to brag that they tell thier parents off all the time (which they probably dont).
If you dont fit the steroetype then you are an outsider... Ah, I could tell kyou a story or 2!

boys... being one that was an outsider i can tell you they arent anywhere near as cruel.

now as to what you should do... well i seeked out fellow geeks/freak. I never took offence to the names and replied "its better than being yet another clone". do you want to be like them? and also think of it this way, by the time you are in your mid 20s to 30s you wont care what others think anyhow (trust me on this). my whole family calls me geek/freak... it worries me not, not even a little bit, and that family! nothings closer than that!.

chin up :) give it a few year and it wont make the slightest difference.

wraithe
20-05-2006, 04:14 PM
you just made me think ving....
my poor daughter is 18, and look what she is lumbered with...
a mum into motorbikes(and fixing them, no man touchs my bike), computers and love astro-physics.. my son is proud but for a while my daughter did not want to know me..Now she is following the same way and wants to learn.. Her friends use to pick on her and no one would stop it..(i wont advocate this), but she decided to fight back and in some ways the others just kept quiet or kept away...now she would be the gentlest person around but very independant..and the boys come to her to tune there cars...so really i think she is happy being a freak/geek like me now...and a very wild one at that...

ving
20-05-2006, 04:27 PM
gawd i hate that... I am always making ppl think :P
my daughter is starting to get in touch with her geeky side now too. she is taking more pride in her work. :)

as I once told her, the richest person in the world is a geek/freak.