The Sun Now
IceInSpace Calendar Competition 2016!
Submitted: Wednesday, 29th April 2015 by Mike Salway
Winners are now announced!
Find out which images won the competition and will now make up your IceInSpace Astronomy Calendar 2016!
Calendars will be available at the IceInSpace Shop soon!
Voting is now open!
Vote for your favourites here, and just by voting you go into the draw to win a prize pack worth $100!
It's on again! Last year's Astronomy Calendar Competition was a huge success, with over 220 entries, 70 fantastic photographers, over 1000 votes cast and over 2500 calendars sold (400 via IceInSpace!), so we're running the competition again for 2016.
The IceInSpace Astronomy Calendar for 2016 will again be made up of images captured by and chosen by the IceInSpace community!
Click to Enlarge
Your image in the IceInSpace Astronomy Calendar 2016!
Keep reading below for information on how to submit your images or how to vote.
How it Works
- Submit up to 6 images during the submission timetable
- Images will be submitted into one or more of the following categories:
- Nebula or Starry Nebula
- Star Cluster, including Globular or Open Cluster
- Nightscapes - People and Sky
- Nightscapes - General
- Nightscapes - Star Trails
- Widefield Sky
- Moon, including Lunar Eclipse
- Sun, including Solar Eclipse
- IceInSpace will then select three finalists from each category
- The IceInSpace community will then vote for their favourite image (from our top three) in each category.
- IceInSpace will then choose one of the winning images to be the cover image, and the remaining 12 winning images will be used for the months of the calendar.
- The photographer of the winning cover photo will receive $250. Other winners can choose to receive either $100 cash OR 10 free calendars (value $200).
- All finalists will appear in the 'Astronomy Calendar' iPad app and receive a free copy of the App for the year their photo appears.
Submitting your Images
Submitting your images is easy! Dig through your astrophotography albums and galleries and upload your favourite images using our web form.
- Images must be submitted between 9am on the 5th May and 5pm on the 5th June 2015.
- Photographer must be an IceInSpace Member (register here)
- Images submitted for voting must be between 1200px and 2000px on its longest side, and no greater than 2mb in size (if you win a category, you will be asked for a larger size)
- Images should be in landscape format to suit calendar pages
- Each photographer can submit up to six images.
- You may submit each image in any category you choose.
- Submitting your images is FREE!
Submit your images.
Please see below for how to vote for your favourite images across all categories!
Voting for your Favourites
When image submission is over, Astrovisuals and IceInSpace will narrow down the submissions and select our favourite three images in 13 categories.
The images will be presented anonymously (without photographer or telescope/camera details) on a voting page where the extended IceInSpace Community can vote for their favourite image in each category. Voting will take place between approx 20th June and 15th July 2015.
Just by voting you can win a prize too! One lucky voter will receive 5 free IceInSpace Astronomy Calendars, valued at $100!
All you have to do is vote for one image in each category, fill in your details and you're in the draw! You can only submit your vote once.
Vote for your favourite images!
The images with the highest number of votes in each category will be the winners, and IceInSpace will choose the cover image from the winners.
Winners Announced Here!
The calendar will be available for sale in September 2015 from the IceInSpace Shop.
Rules and Fine Print
- Please read the rules carefully, and be sure to ask any questions on the forum if anything is unclear. A thread discussing the competition is found here on the IceInSpace Forum.
- Image submission is open to registered IceInSpace Forum members including the moderators. The moderators are volunteers and have had no involvement in organising this competition, so they are eligible to enter. The administrators (mojo and iceman) are not eligible to enter.
- Image voting is open to the public (you do not need to be a member of the IceInSpace Forum), however you may only vote once. You must vote for one image in each category.
- The competition will be launched on Tuesday the 5th May 2015 at 9am AEST. The competition will close at 5pm AEST on 15th of July 2015. Winners will be announced on or around the 25th July 2015.
- Image Submission:
- All images must be submitted using the online entry form between 9am on the 5th May and 5pm on the 5th June 2015. Entries received after the closing date will not be eligible.
- Each photographer may submit up to 6 images.
- Photographer must be a member of the IceInSpace Forum (register here).
- Images are used under the following terms:
- You agree for your photo to be published in the calendar
- You will retain copyright of the photo as the original photographer.
- Your images will be clearly marked Image © Joe Blow
- Your image may appear in the 'Astronomy Calendar' iPad app with appropriate credit
- No other use will be made of the images without your permission.
- We have the right to adjust your image, but final image will be sent to you for approval.
- All finalists who submit images will receive a free copy of the 'Astronomy Calendar' iPad app
- If there aren't enough images submitted in a category, we reserve the right to exclude that category from the competition. Images in that category will be moved to another category. We also reserve the right to divide categories where necessary.
- The winning cover image will receive a once-off payment of $250
- All other winning images will choose between either $100 cash OR 10 free calendars (value $200).
- All finalists (photographers who make it to the voting stage) will receive a free copy of the 'Astronomy Calendar' iPad app for the year that their image appears.
- The winning voter will receive 5 free IceInSpace Calendars.
- Prizes will be posted out to the winners once the calendars have been printed and are available for sale (approx early September 2015).
- On (or around) the 17th of July 2015, all voters will be placed into a hat and a winner will be drawn at random.
- IceInSpace and Astrovisuals will determine which winning image is used in which month of the calendar
- The winners will be contacted to via email or forum PM to send high-resolution versions of their images (minimum 200dpi in A4 landscape format), and may have their names displayed on the IceInSpace website or in newsletters or other marketing. Make sure your profile is setup to receive PM's and ensure your email address is valid so that you can be contacted!
- The prizes cannot be converted to cash.
- The judges decision is final and no correspondance will be entered into.
- All dates and times are in AEST.