IceInSpace Calendar Competition!
Submitted: Thursday, 19th April 2012 by Mike Salway
Winners are now announced!
Find out which images won the competition and will now make up your IceInSpace Astronomy Calendar 2013!
Big news for the extended IceInSpace Community!
IceInSpace is teaming up with Astrovisuals to create the Astrovisuals and IceInSpace Astronomy Calendar for 2013.
And the best news of all; the calendar will be made up of images captured by and chosen by the IceInSpace community!
Click to Enlarge
Have your image in the IceInSpace Astronomy Calendar 2013
IceInSpace has been re-selling the Astrovisuals Astronomy Calendar for several years now, and it's always been a popular product with IceInSpace members.
For 2013, we're going one step further. We're co-branding the product as the IceInSpace Astronomy Calendar, and all of the images in the calendar will be submitted by IceInSpace members - and you get to choose the images that appear in the calendar!
Keep reading below for information on how to submit your images or how to vote.
How it Works
- Submit your images during the submission timetable
- Images will be submitted into one or more of the following categories:
- Nebula or Star Cluster
- Milky Way or Constellation wide field
- Moon (close up, disc or montage), or Moon/Jupiter occultation/conjunction
- Planet or Solar (close up or montage)
- Planet/Moon Conjunction or Landscape Astrophotography
- Star Trails
- Solar Eclipse
- IceInSpace and Astrovisuals will narrow down the submissions and select our favourite 5 images from each category
- The IceInSpace Community will vote for their favourite image (from our top 5) in each category.
- IceInSpace will choose one of the winning images to be the cover image, and the remaining winning images with the highest number of votes in each category will be used for the 12 months of the calendar.
- The winner of the cover photo will receive $250 as well as 10 free calendars. Winning images for the 12 months will each receive 10 free calendars for you and your family and friends!
- All winners will also receive 5 IceInSpace Eclipse Shades and 10 IceInSpace Stickers.
Submitting your Images
Submitting your images is easy! Dig through your astrophotography albums and galleries and upload your favourite images using our web form.
- Images must be submitted between the 1st and 31st May 2012 (image submission is now closed).
- Photographer must be an IceInSpace Member (register here)
- Images submitted for voting must be at least 1200px on its longest side, and no greater than 2mb in size (if you win a category, you will be asked for a larger size)
- Images should be in landscape format to suit a calendar
- Each photographer can submit up to 5 images.
- You may submit each image in any category you choose.
- Submitting your images is FREE!
Image submission is now closed. If you submitted images, review your entries here.
Please see below for how to vote for your favourite images across all categories!
Voting for your Favourites
When image submission is over, Astrovisuals and IceInSpace will narrow down the submissions and select our favourite 5 images from each category.
The images will be presented anonymously (without photographer or telescope/camera details) on a voting page where the extended IceInSpace Community can vote for their favourite image in each category. Voting will take place between approx 10th June and 10th July 2012.
Just by voting you can win a prize too! One lucky voter will receive 5 free IceInSpace Astronomy Calendars, 5 IceInSpace Eclipse Glasses and 10 IceInSpace Stickers, valued at $130!
All you have to do is vote for one image in each category, fill in your details and you're in the draw! You can only submit your vote once.
Voting has now closed!
The winner of the voting competition is Jeff Smithard. Jeff was pulled out of the virtual barrel and wins $130 worth of prizes including 5 copies of the IceInSpace Astronomy Calendar 2013. Congratulations and thanks for taking part in the competition!
The images with the highest number of votes in each category will be the winners, and IceInSpace will choose the cover image from the winners.
We had a record number of people voting for their favourite images. After over 950 votes, the winning images have now been chosen by you!
The winning images are now announced and you can see the final makeup of your IceInSpace Astronomy Calendar 2013!
View the winning images!
The calendar will be available for sale in early August from the IceInSpace Shop.
Rules and Fine Print
- Please read the rules carefully, and be sure to ask any questions on the forum if anything is unclear. A thread discussing the competition is found here on the IceInSpace Forum.
- Image submission is open to registered IceInSpace Forum members including the moderators. The moderators are volunteers and have had no involvement in organising this competition, so they are eligible to enter. The administrators (mojo and myself) are not eligible to enter.
- Image voting is open to the public (you do not need to be a member of the IceInSpace Forum), however you may only vote once. You must vote for one image in each category.
- The competition will be launched on Tuesday the 1st May 2012 at 9am AEST. The competition will close at 5pm AEST on 20th of June 2012. Winners will be announced on or around the 15th July 2012.
- Image Submission:
- All images must be submitted using the online entry form between the 1st and 31st May 2012. Entries received after the closing date will not be eligible.
- Each photographer may submit up to 5 images.
- Photographer must be a member of the IceInSpace Forum (register here).
- By submitting your images to the competition, you accept the following conditions:
- You will retain copyright of the photo as the original photographer.
- Your images will be clearly marked Image © Joe Blow
- No other use will be made of the images without your permission.
- We have the right to adjust your image, but final image will be sent to you for approval.
- If there aren't enough images submitted in a category, we reserve the right to exclude that category from the competition. Images in that category will be moved to anothe category.
- The winning cover image will receive a once-off payment of $250
- All winning images will receive 10 free IceInSpace Calendars, 5 IceInSpace Eclipse Glasses and 10 IceInSpace Stickers.
- The winning voter will receive 5 free IceInSpace Calendars, 5 IceInSpace Eclipse Glasses and 10 IceInSpace Stickers.
- Prizes will be posted out to the winners once the calendars have been printed and are available for sale (approx 10th August).
- On (or around) the 21st of June 2012, all voters will be placed into a hat and a winner will be drawn at random.
- IceInSpace and Astrovisuals will determine which winning image is used in which month of the calendar
- The winners will be contacted to via email or forum PM to send high-resolution versions of their images (minimum 200dpi in A4 landscape format), and may have their names displayed on the IceInSpace website or in newsletters or other marketing. Make sure your profile is setup to receive PM's and ensure your email address is valid so that you can be contacted!
- The prizes cannot be converted to cash.
- The judges decision is final and no correspondance will be entered into.