Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Excessive Thermal / Readout / USB noise - any ideas?

Hi All,

I have a quandary.....I'm hoping someone has seen before or can suggest something.

My normal capture laptop (Compaq NC6220C) is sick and keeps locking up with Stellarium running and randomly when capturing due to, I think, a stress crack in the motherboard which has to be kept under pressure by holding the case and pressing down.....

SO: I have put all my capture programs on to my work laptop (Hp EliteBook 8530P) with 128GB SSD Hard drive, Intel core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM Dual CPU....

BUT, when I capture from the DSLR, using the same cables, camera, powersupply, etc, I get monsterous amounts of USB or thermal noise on the subs, even to the point of the bottom right hand corner looks like it has amp glow....??? Darks dont seem to be able to get rid of it either, which is quite strange....

I have tried every USB port for the DSLR connection, as well as removing the power jack and running on the Laptop's 10 hour extender battery and swapping cables etc, but its still there.

I suspect the laptop's USB2 ports are disgustingly noisy but dont know what I can do to alleviate the situation.

QUITE frustrating when you have a kick ass super speedy laptop thats stable, but makes your images look like a sunburned Englishman at Bondi on the first day of his holiday.....

I have posted a Fornax galaxy cluster sub (reduced to 200kb) as well as a single reduced 47TUC unguided 25 sec sub from the other night so you can see what I mean. Also, there is an Omega Cent sub (300secs at ISO800 at 13C, from the original Lappy, showing very little noise.....)

Also, considering the ambient temp was only 7 deg C, the camera was hovering around 13-16C, maybe something else was causing the camera to heat up like a woman reading Fifty Shades of Grey?

Any ideas on what I can do? Quite frustrating, as I was loving seeing the Fornax cluster on the screen and took 15 x 3 mins shots at ISO 800, which are all quite rubbish now....

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Fornax-Cluster-Noise.jpg)
198.8 KB30 views
Click for full-size image (47TUC-noise.jpg)
181.5 KB31 views
Click for full-size image (Omega-No-Noise.jpg)
193.9 KB29 views

Last edited by Screwdriverone; 28-08-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 29-08-2012, 12:38 PM
jamiep (Jamie)

you could try disabling the wireless/bluetooth in the ultrabook - they usually have antennas in the screen for wireless which may be in turn coupling onto just about any cable with average shielding nearby.

The way these things are made is quite insane - everything is almost poured into the chassis, batteries (usually non removable) are in several spots to fit in the available space, and things overlap everywhere ...

Jamie

ed - sorry - I read 'elitebook' as 'ultrabook' - but the same advise applies - try disabling the wireless.

Last edited by jamiep; 29-08-2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Re read and added edit...
Old 29-08-2012, 01:45 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)

Hmmm, thanks Jamie,

Worth a shot as I had the wireless on at the time, but wasnt using it.....

I know the fan for the CPU was pouring out heat beside the USB port I initially used, but I tried the others on the other side of the Lappy, but didnt think of the wireless....maybe its super noisy on this one where the older NC6220 wasnt...

I am going to build a cold box anyway for the DSLR, IF I can find somewhere to find some copper sheet locally, I have all the other bits such as the CPU cooler and peltier....but I think this is thermal or radio noise like you said.

Cheers

Chris
Old 31-08-2012, 06:00 PM
coldlegs (Stephen)
Chopped its rear end off!

Chris
Try some clipon emi ferrites. Might do some good.
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=LF1294
Cheers
Stephen
Old 02-09-2012, 08:55 AM
Screwdriverone (Chris)

Thanks Stephen,

A good idea, might give those a go, see if it helps.

Cheers

Chris