ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-05-2012, 01:38 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

flex baht masks - how do you fix to scope?

Previously I stuck some velcro loop strips on the hood of my scope, velcro hooks on the mask, and that did the trick. But that was with the rigid acrylic masks by IIS's ozstockman. And must admit sometimes the velcro stuck a little too well, and have bumped and messed up the alignment of scope because it got caught.

For my TMB I got a Kendrick one, it's plastic and quite flexible. It also has 3 tabs coming off it with slotted holes. I've sticky taped some pins in 2 of them and just drape it over end of scope and the pins stop it sliding off. But it seems a bit ghetto to me. There must be a more elegant way to do it.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? And how do you fix your mask to your scope?
Old 13-05-2012, 01:54 AM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

yep there is a elegant way troy software focusing FWHM. Far more accurate than your best guess.! (no im not talking automated focusing!)
Old 13-05-2012, 04:10 AM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

Mine just has two plastic bolts sticking through in the right spot so you just place it on gently and lift it off just as easy, the curve of the OTA holds it in place. It'd probably blow off in a strong wind but I don't think it's an issue likely to arise0
Old 13-05-2012, 07:48 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

My attachement is a hightech specifically designed electrical tape slip held in place under a (night vision frendly) black sock. I also wear a red beannie and red scarf on the field and hold my anti-dew rags on the scope with red pegs.
Old 13-05-2012, 11:51 AM
thefrogulox (Al)

Hey Troy,

Sorry that this doesn't answer your question specifically, but I use one made by ozstockman for my TMB 92ss.

The outside diameter of the mask is 118.6mm and it fits directly inside the dew shield on that little ledge that's about 2cm inside from the front of the dew shield.

Works perfectly for me. Never falls out, and is easy to remove unless you are wearing gloves!
Old 18-05-2012, 04:09 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmitchell82 View Post
yep there is a elegant way troy software focusing FWHM. Far more accurate than your best guess.! (no im not talking automated focusing!)
Thanks mate. Been there, done that. Baht mask works best for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB80 View Post
Mine just has two plastic bolts sticking through in the right spot so you just place it on gently and lift it off just as easy, the curve of the OTA holds it in place. It'd probably blow off in a strong wind but I don't think it's an issue likely to arise0
Sounds like you're doing the same as me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
My attachement is a hightech specifically designed electrical tape slip held in place under a (night vision frendly) black sock. I also wear a red beannie and red scarf on the field and hold my anti-dew rags on the scope with red pegs.
you lost me at "black sock". What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrogulox View Post
Hey Troy,

Sorry that this doesn't answer your question specifically, but I use one made by ozstockman for my TMB 92ss.

The outside diameter of the mask is 118.6mm and it fits directly inside the dew shield on that little ledge that's about 2cm inside from the front of the dew shield.

Works perfectly for me. Never falls out, and is easy to remove unless you are wearing gloves!
Thanks mate. That sounds like a great solution. Maybe I can cut down the outside of this one so it fits inside instead. Hmm.
Old 20-05-2012, 12:17 AM
TrevorW

I use blue tack
Old 20-05-2012, 06:47 AM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmitchell82 View Post
Then there is the GoldFocus System which gives you the best from both worlds.

http://www.goldastro.com/goldfocus/index.php
Old 20-05-2012, 06:54 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Right, but how do you connect that Gold Focus mask to you scope? The tabs you see on it are similar to the ones on my baht mask.

I use Bahtinov Grabber which is free software that seems to do similar with my baht mask. http://www.njnoordhoek.com/?p=660
Old 20-05-2012, 07:07 AM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Plastic standoffs that when fitted slide on the inside of your scope. There is also the outside option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (inside.jpg)
160.2 KB12 views
Click for full-size image (outside.jpg)
166.0 KB7 views
Old 20-05-2012, 07:35 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Aah. Similar to what I'm currently doing.