Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Closed Thread

Old 15-03-2012, 06:55 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

"Rent-a-queue" lines up outside Apple

I have often wondered about the queues outside Apple stores for launches, then I read this on the Sydney Morning Herald

"Former truck driver Steve Parkes has been camped outside the George Street outlet since Monday, after he was offered $950 by a jobs site to line-up wearing a T-shirt emblazoned with the company's logo. The 37-year-old, from Millers Point in inner Sydney, admitted he had no interest in the devices and was purely motivated by the cash."I admire them from afar, but I've got no great interest in Apple itself," Mr Parkes told AAP today

http://m.smh.com.au/digital-life/tab...315-1v6qw.html

If I was unemployed I wouldn't mind sitting on my bum for a week and getting paid for it

Last edited by tlgerdes; 15-03-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 15-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

It's not Apple that's paying for him to sit in the queue; it's a job agency -- he's getting paid to sit there with a shirt with their logo on it, advertising them. Passersby are giving him coffee and food.

From memory, the company that's paying for him to sit there is called Airtasker. It's a chore/job bidding web site.

Your subject title is misleading.

H
Old 15-03-2012, 07:09 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)

Sorry H, you may be right, the story is ambiguous about who's logo is on the man's shirt. I interpreted it as Apple's logo but it doesn't explicitly say. Change titled to reflect as such.

Anyway we should our in the post tomorrow.
Old 15-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

I saw his picture with his shirt the other day.

I got my name and web site engraved on mine, so, it's still in processing stage. Won't have it for at least a week, yet.

H
Old 15-03-2012, 11:52 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Come on people! We need a row of IIS T-shirts!
Old 16-03-2012, 05:01 AM
Analog6 (Odille)

So would I if they asked me! $950 would pay for me to drive to Cairns for the eclipse! Where do I sign up!

Mind you, I'd love an iPad.
Old 16-03-2012, 06:53 AM
tlgerdes (Trevor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
Come on people! We need a row of IIS T-shirts!
Well, if Mike was going to pay, I am sure we could spend $100k of his money and get 100 people lined up
Old 16-03-2012, 05:25 PM
rainwatcher (Peter)

You know what they say about fools and their money.
Old 16-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

So, owning an iPad makes one a fool?

H
Old 17-03-2012, 05:08 AM
rainwatcher (Peter)

No, but queing up at the shop door for hours and hours if not days to be the first to get the new one does.
Old 17-03-2012, 06:11 AM
leon

I agree Peter, it seems a bit silly to sit out in all weather to be the first to get one when one can purchase one the next day or week by walking into the outlet and have one in a few minutes.

Leon
Old 17-03-2012, 07:34 AM
Barrykgerdes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post

H
Yes

I save lts of $$$ by not having something that I can duplicate by existing systems

Barry
Old 17-03-2012, 07:36 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrykgerdes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post

H
Yes

I save lts of $$$ by not having something that I can duplicate by existing systems

Barry
You surprise me a little Barry. You insist on missing the point. Is it a measure of obstinate pride that makes you criticise what you, as such, may not need? I don't know if you're just trying to be funny, or what. I actually take umbrage to your silly remark. You cannot, I repeat, cannot, replicate the functionality of a tablet device with anything else. To say so indicates that you don't know what you're saying, or that you couldn't be bothered actually finding out. Thanks for calling owners who use them in both business and pleasure activities every day - very successfully - fools. Top bloke.

"So Barry, how do you find the new iPad I gave you for your birthday?": http://www.wimp.com/dadipad/

Last edited by Omaroo; 17-03-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old 17-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Peter and Leon,

I wouldn't do it myself, but, it's a bit like queuing for tickets to a concert for your favourite band.

People are driven and derive excitement in different ways, and, just because you wouldn't do something yourself, doesn't mean those that do, are fools. They see queuing up to be one of the first for a new computing device to be something worthwhile doing. While you or I might find it odd, the fact that it happens does not in any way make them fools.

At the end of the day, they're not hurting anyone.

Barry, if you prefer carrying a laptop around instead of a mobile device, fine. That doesn't make tablet owners fools. It's 2012.

H
Old 17-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Barrykgerdes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaroo View Post
You surprise me a little Barry. You insist on missing the point. Is it a measure of obstinate pride that makes you criticise what you, as such, may not need? I don't know if you're just trying to be funny, or what. I actually take umbrage to your silly remark. You cannot, I repeat, cannot, replicate the functionality of a tablet device with anything else. To say so indicates that you don't know what you're saying, or that you couldn't be bothered actually finding out. Thanks for calling owners who use them in both business and pleasure activities every day - very successfully - fools. Top bloke.

"So Barry, how do you find the new iPad I gave you for your birthday?": http://www.wimp.com/dadipad/
Sorry Chris if I upset you. I was only stiring the pot

An ipad is a lovely amusing toy that is fascinating to play with but it has no practical use for me. Make some suggestions that might use one for.

I have no need to be attached to a computer when I am mobile. I had mobile communication before most of you were born and don't need it these days. I do have simple mobile phone that is carried for emergencies. It cost me $30 per call last year, $5/month and used twice.

Barry
Old 17-03-2012, 08:29 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Great vid.
Old 17-03-2012, 08:36 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrykgerdes View Post
Sorry Chris if I upset you. I was only stiring the pot

An ipad is a lovely amusing toy that is fascinating to play with but it has no practical use for me. Make some suggestions that might use one for.

Barry
Apology accepted Barry. I don't take kindly to being called a fool at any time, but it's especially difficult to react correctly in response to a written medium like this, as I can't see if you're sitting there giggling when you write it. Sorry to be so sensitive - I've had a pretty tough week. My bad.

All good.

"Make some suggestions that might use one for."? Too many to list Barry. As a business tool offering unobtrusive comms requirements (built-in 3G), through client meeting after client meeting, it's invaluable to me. As a graphical touch-based interface to my synthesised musical pursuits, with hundreds of brilliant MIDI-enabled apps and synthesiser engines, it's invaluable to me. As a self-contained GPS mapping device out there in the bush with a large screen and touch controls (try using a mouse or touchpad and cursor when you're driving), to me it's again invaluable. As a device on which to collect and read a plethora of magazines I subscribe to, it's cheaper (by far) than the printed offering and doesn't take up any room. That's invaluable to me. As a device to flick through emails and posts on various forums whilre I'm relaxing, it's far better than my various laptops at doing that on a couch or in bed. I don't think I need to justify having one - people just get it after having one for a while.

Last edited by Omaroo; 17-03-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 17-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Barrykgerdes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaroo View Post
"Make some suggestions that might use one for."? Too many to list Barry. As a business tool offering unobtrusive comms requirements (built-in 3G), through client meeting after client meeting, it's invaluable to me. As a graphical interface to my synthesised musical pursuits, it's invaluable to me. As a mapping device out there in the bush, to me it's again invaluable. As a device on which to collect and read a plethora of magazines I subscribe to, it's cheaper (by far) than the printed offering and doesn't take up any room. That's invaluable to me. As a device to flick through emails and posts on various forums whilre I'm relaxing, it's far better than my various laptops at doing that on a couch or in bed. I don't think I need to justify having one - people just get it after having one for a while.
Gee I tried all those suggestions previously to get an ipad but the chancellor of the exchequer was not interested. So I did not get one!

Barry
Old 17-03-2012, 09:05 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Wow - that's a tough break Barry. I don't have that problem, so I feel for you.
Old 17-03-2012, 09:11 AM
TrevorW

You either love them or hate them, lets just keep it at that for the sake of congeniality

Closed Thread