Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 12-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Hagar (Doug)

Holiday nearing and end

This holiday has just flown with just a week of this stage to go then the long drive home.

I have travelled the South Australian coast line and boy what a different coast line to that which I have become use to. The coastline from Wyalla around to Ceduna is very different with huge sand dunes, huge cliffs and almost desert land scape.

Again IIS has played a big part in the holiday with visits to many IIS members along the way. We started with dinner with Pete and Hannah Miller and Paul and Cate Haese in Adelaide then up to the North of Adelaide to drop off my Tak 120 to Gray Meyers.
Next step was to Port Lincoln and afternoon tea with Lester at his lovely house overlooking Port Lincoln coast line (What a view).
A few stops down the coast and in to Streaky Bay and meet up with Rich Bowden (Richardo). We had a great night chewing the fat at Rich's house and are all going out for dinner tonight.
Along the way my wife has enjoyed meeting all these people and my black Lab Bella has met new friends as well. In fact Rich's dog Moses and Bella hit it off very well, almost as if they had grown up together.

Friday spells the end of this part of the trip and the start of the big drive home, then off to Snake Valley followed by a couple of days Tuna fishing at Portland.

I think I need to retire, not enough time to fit everything in.

Thanks to all of you for meeting up and making this holiday another to remember.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:04 PM
GeoffW1 (Geoff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
This holiday has just flown with just a week of this stage to go then the long drive home.

Friday spells the end of this part of the trip and the start of the big drive home, then off to Snake Valley followed by a couple of days Tuna fishing at Portland.

My sympathies to you, on hearing how hard life is

I'm retired myself (entirely self-funded, so there, all you right-wingers ), and I don't know now where I ever found the time to work towards it

Cheers
Old 12-03-2012, 06:57 PM
mozzie (Peter)

sounds great doug...how's the new van going ?????

have you been on the road long....
Old 12-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

good on ya Douggie hope you enjoy the rest of your trip you lucky bugger see you soon
Old 12-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Sounds like it's been a classic road trip holiday.

I've always enjoyed those types of holidays
Old 13-03-2012, 07:03 AM
Barrykgerdes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post

Thanks to all of you for meeting up and making this holiday another to remember.
Like Geoff says

When you retire you will soon start to wonder where you ever got the time to work.

Retirement is great if you have funds but you will find you will need 48 hr days to fit everything in.

Barry
Old 19-03-2012, 10:48 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Doug and Helen have just left here and are on the last 500k leg home of their long journey.

In 4 days time Doug has to drive all the way back here again for Camp, then off to Portland after that

I here a song coming on: ♪ "ask the Leyland Brothers" ♫
Old 19-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Hagar (Doug)

It's been quite a memorable trip meeting up with Rich (Richardo), Lester and a couple of the Adelaide boys. Seen some really great countryside, unusual and a bit different from home in that it is as dry as a stick where home is near under water.

A few concerning things along the way with people all along that beautiful coast line raping and pillaging the fishery, taking thousands of fish and I mean litterally thousands of King George Whiting and Squid and filling freezers before heading back to there homes in Adelaide etc.

All up thougha very enjoyable time but a long way from here with3 days of 8hr driving to get home from Streaky bay. We did make a stop of a coyuple of nights at Wallaroo on the Yorke peninsular, a very beautiful spot which we will return to some time soon.

Thanks again everyone, I hope we weren't to much trouble.
Old 19-03-2012, 10:32 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Man, you must be well and truly Knackered...
Old 19-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Yes you better rest up for the weekend Douggie wooohooo
See you on Friday