ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Tigion
StarGazer

Help with AstroMaster 130 EQ-MD and celestron eyepiece and filter kit 1.25

Hello i brought the astromaster but got given the celestron eyepiece and filter kit 1.25 and the celestron collimation eyepiece my question is on how you use the eye peices and barlow eg. whats the diffrence when using a 20 mm eyepiece that came with scope to the 32 eyepeice that came with the kit and why do some of the eyepeices show image upside down?
Old 04-10-2011, 06:22 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

The various eyepieces have a focal length, the shorter the number, the greater the power or magnification that you get. So a 20mm eyepiece will show objects larger than the 32mm.
To calculate the power divide the focal length of the scope (650mm I think) by the focal length of the eyepiece, so the 32 mm give 650/32= 20x or for the 20 we get 650/20=32.5x
Beware that high power is nor always better and for these types of scope they really struggle at powers much above 100x unless the seeing is very very good.
The Barlow is used to increase the power. If it is a 2x barlow is doubles the power, so using the barlow and the 20mm will give you 65x.
As regards the upside down images, I believe these scopes are set up with elements in the focuser that create an erect image. Normal Newtonions always show images ipside down and reversed. Which eps are giving you upside down images?

Malcolm
Old 05-10-2011, 01:56 AM
Tigion
StarGazer

ty for the reply helped out with our veiwing tonight kids where in awe when they seen the craters on the moon then they freaked out when they seen jupiter and its moons lol and its the 32mm that shows it upside down