Thanks Terry, Ken! This was 8 x 2min, Canon 400D @ 200mm, ISO 1600, F/5.6. That is the flat-out limit of what I can do (camera wide-open, maximum feasible exposure time), other than more subs of course. I did have a bit of a play with VSpec and got the three spikes but it wasn't very pretty. Ken, I'll have to find time and have a good read of your book, as well as the VSpec manual.
This was really just a bit of an experiment, to see whether with very limited gear I could detect the signature Balmer line emissions of a fairly bright nova. To that extent, I'm happy with the result. It kind of fits (no, not FITS
) with the known & potential RN monitoring I'm doing, along with a pretty basic nova search. Pity I didn't have T Pyx on my list, dammit!
But great work by Michael Linnolt, shows that the system can work.