Old 21-04-2011, 06:58 AM
CraigS
Unpredictable

One Dimension !

Here's one about extra dimensions
Primordial weirdness: Did the early universe have 1 dimension?
Quote:
Did the early universe have just one spatial dimension? That's the mind-boggling concept at the heart of a theory that University at Buffalo physicist Dejan Stojkovic and colleagues proposed in 2010.

The core idea is that the dimensionality of space depends on the size of the space we're observing, with smaller spaces associated with fewer dimensions. That means that a fourth dimension will open up … if it hasn't already .. as the universe continues to expand.

The theory also suggests that space has fewer dimensions at very high energies of the kind associated with the early, post-big bang universe.
.. but this guy, (a professor of Physics), seems to have a solution.:
Quote:
"We have to take into account the possibility that something is systematically wrong with our ideas," he continued.
Quote:
"We need something radical and new, and this is something radical and new."
The core idea is that the dimensionality of space depends on the size of the space we're observing, with smaller spaces associated with fewer dimensions. That means that a fourth dimension will open up -- if it hasn't already -- as the universe continues to expand.
The theory also suggests that space has fewer dimensions at very high energies of the kind associated with the early, post-big bang universe.
I think I've heard that before … somewhere … sometime …

Cheers

Last edited by CraigS; 21-04-2011 at 07:24 AM.
Old 21-04-2011, 09:03 AM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

So, what's their point (get it......point!!!).

The only time the universe would've had fewer dimensions would be right at the very start of the BB process....essentially it would have zero dimensions. The moment it started to expand, it would have to become an extremely small 3D (+ time) object. The reason being the smaller the number of dimensions, the fewer the number of process that occur which can drive the expansion along and produce what we see. Many processes won't occur at all, such as nuclear fusion etc. If the universe acted in the way they believe, we wouldn't be here today to discuss the matter...literally.
Old 21-04-2011, 10:44 AM
CraigS
Unpredictable

Yep Carl;
(You probably didn't catch my initial post .. I decided to 'tone it down' as I thought I was being too critical of these guys. But now, I can see that perhaps, I wasn't )

Seems to me, that in order to reveal what exists in smaller dimensions, we need to achieve greater resolution in those smaller spaces. With greater resolution, comes more detail which in effect, results in more 'dimensions' appearing.

At the other end of the scale, my brain drops out. I can't even imagine it. It seems to me that without more dimensions becoming apparent, we won't have the 'filters' to gain the perspectives of this bigger picture. (A bit like needing 3D glasses in order to get the 'popping-out' perspective).

These guys are suggesting the completely opposite.

They say it has been observed:
Quote:
.. that the main energy flux of cosmic ray particles with energies exceeding 1 teraelectron volt -- the kind of high energy associated with the very early universe -- are aligned along a two-dimensional plane.
.. so couldn't that also be explained by other reasons ?

Quote:
"We have to take into account the possibility that something is systematically wrong with our ideas," he continued. "We need something radical and new, and this is something radical and new."
Perhaps they might have to take into account that something might be systematically wrong with their ideas.

Cheers
Old 22-04-2011, 09:04 AM
avandonk
avandonk

Does this mean if my six pack which is now approaching a couple of slabs will miraculously go to another dimension?

Nothing wrong with gedunken experiments or what if, but keep it in perspective.

A singularity has zero dimensions! Or is that a naked singularity?

Bert