Old 13-02-2011, 12:07 AM
Nortilus (Josh)

Run Lucy, Run

Lucy may have run around faster and alot more it seems...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12412662
Old 13-02-2011, 07:52 AM
CraigS
Unpredictable

The Creationists will love this one !

I have a creationist documentary of a lecture by a legitimate scientist (PhD in Biology, I think), Dr David Menton, an anti-evolutionist, presenting his views that Australopithecus Afarensis was originally of the 'Ape' species (as opposed to the 'human' species .. because they see the two being completely separate and unrelated, of course).

Actually his lecture was quite humorous. In it he shows a recreation of how the original discoverer of the hip bone handed it over to some other guy who in turn, took to it with an angle-grinder to re-engineer it, in order to make the 'carrying angle' more human-like. (Our legs slope inwards, where an ape's are straight).

I think it was called "Lucy - She's no Lady".

Cheers

Last edited by CraigS; 13-02-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 13-02-2011, 08:31 AM
snas (Stuart)

The presence of an arch in the foot is the evidence that Lucy MUST be a human ancestor as only humans have an arch.
I truly fail to understand how a very well educated biologist can be anti-evolution, other than by being so blindly faithful to his religious faith.
Stuart
Old 13-02-2011, 08:40 AM
CraigS
Unpredictable

Quote:
Originally Posted by snas View Post
The presence of an arch in the foot is the evidence that Lucy MUST be a human ancestor as only humans have an arch.
Yes Stuart … I'm actually intrigued to find out what they come up with to explain it.

PS: Its usually: it came from a 'fossilised ancient human'.
Words like: "the possibility of it having been from a Homo erectus individual cannot be excluded".

Quote:
Originally Posted by snas
I truly fail to understand how a very well educated biologist can be anti-evolution, other than by being so blindly faithful to his religious faith.
Stuart
I think its all courtesy of the intensity of 'Bible Belt' (US mid-west). I'm not sure how to explain it in Australia, though.

Cheers

Last edited by CraigS; 13-02-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 13-02-2011, 12:52 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
I think its all courtesy of the intensity of 'Bible Belt' (US mid-west). I'm not sure how to explain it in Australia, though.
TOS warning time?

We've been importing US Bible Belt religion for many years, both with preachers and TV.

Queensland had a head start. It must be a Deep North (more tropical/equatorial sun?) thing.

Andrew
Old 13-02-2011, 02:27 PM
joe_smith

Quote:
Stuart
I don't think that's the real reason. Here is my personal take of it.
I'm more on the Intelligent design side as well. To say all creationists are driven only by there faith is just stereotyping them into one group. A lot of ID supporters have no problem with evolution, after all the facts for it happening is overwhelming, But what they have a problem with, and me as well, is the driving force behind it, For us the assumptions of the evidence of how evolution works, the the driving force behind Darwinian type of evolution is wrong. Don't forget there are way to many unanswered questions to say we have found the only and final answer to the questions of how evolution works, and say we have is not only wrong its a lie. There is just as much proof in the evidence to say life has had some type of design built from the start, that life has been designed to evolve along with the birth of the universe side by side, life was all ready in the grand plan so to say. There are some strong arguments for ID by some pretty smart scientists they are also looking at the same evidence and are coming up with a different theory that also fits with the evidence so by true scientific methods the theory's put forwarded by ID theorists cant be dismissed, but sadly its not only dismissed but ridiculed and then they are labelled as a stereotyped "creationist" There are a lot of good books on ID written by some very knowledgeable scientists so when a lot of them they say "hold on I think we have it wrong" we should look at their theories not ride them all off as "wackos" remember poor old Galileo he had to fight for his argument against the hard line world view of the time and he was right. Today ID supporters are up against the same hard line world view with one difference Galileo was a scientist working for the truth. Today a scientist works for a multi billion dollar industry where truth is what they say it is, and if you want a slice of the pie you play and support their version of what science is. Instead ridding them off, have a look at some of the evidence they put forward it might just surprise you, it took me a long time. I also didn't believe in ID but the more I looked into their arguments I found the other side didn't have it so right as they make out. As the famous saying goes "the truth is out there" Its a multi-path way for the search for the true evidence, don't get stuck on one that might end-up as a dead end. I follow any path that the evidence points to, it might end up wrong, but it also could be right.
Old 13-02-2011, 03:39 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

thread locked,
Breach Of TOS.

- Avoid topics about race, politics or religion. These can be very sensitive topics and it can be very easy to take things the wrong way, creating arguments.

While the original post was fine but often quickly break down by the rapid inclusion of religion into the discussion.
Closed Thread