Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy and Amateur Science
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-12-2010, 10:35 PM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

Zooniverse Planet Hunter

I'm enjoying the challenge of finding new exoplanets at http://www.planethunters.org/science#challenge from the data of Nasa's Kepler space craft looking into Cygnus.
Old 19-12-2010, 11:51 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

I had a go a earlier today found the first chart was completely messed up and didn't know where to start. I will try again but it wasn't smooth like the example gave. I don't want to make a mistake on the ID of potential transit or even missing any.
Old 20-12-2010, 06:32 AM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

I fully understand your concern however this is not an exact science. If it were they wouldn't have given humans ago. Zooinverse has factored inaccuracies into the equation but overall us human do much better than computers with pattern recognition.This is why Galaxy Zoo was such a great success. I think I am guilty of mistaking a regular variable for a exoplanet candidate within the first few I looked out. It just takes a little practice . I have found some cool irregular and regular variables though!!
Old 20-12-2010, 12:36 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Had a break and a sleep went again, found a confidence and about a few tries later found this massive Jupiter with a transit of only a few days. That particular one is easy but some are harder and left messages on some. I didn't do it this time but next time I will place keyword on the discussion which I think they use as flags.

Some of the irregular star are little bit harder but a cool finds even found a star that look suspisious and request more data combined on it.. I also managed to find patterns in some very noisy plots (Well they are actually calassified as quiet). It is a really cool site.
Old 20-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

It would be good if we could post a screen capture to share with our on line community