ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:42 AM
Clarry (Clayton)
"L" plater

Beginner telescope

Hello people, my first glance at this forum has been a real pleasure.
For a while now I've had a beginners interest in astronomy and have been wanting to get a reasonable telescope to fulfill that interest but the prices have always scared me a bit. So I think I have decided to start at the very bottom of the pack with a budget unit and then if my interest hold out I'll consider upgrading in the future.
So with that in mind, I saw this el-cheapo telescope coming up at ALDI next week and I'm wondering if worth getting or will it be no better than my binoculars? After seeing the equipment you people own, I know it's probably a bit of a laugh, but as I said, it's somewhere to start.
Looking at the stats & features of this unit, can you tell me if I will see anything at all through it or will it just be a waste of time but thankfully very little money?
On the same note, this telescope from ebay, is it a better buy?
Any advise you can give is greatly appreciated.
Cheers.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:05 AM
nightsky
Aus Irish Bi Cen Flag

G'Day Clarry,
Welcome you have come to the right place for advice.What I did
when I got interested in Astronomy I joined a Astronomy club and went to a few viewing nights which the club held and a had a look thought a few telescope, to get a idea what scope's were good value,size for $ talked to a view blokes.Depending on where in Sydney you live IIS have a viewing night up here on the Central Coast on new moon each month.Other clubs in Sydney hold viewing nights as well.If you give us a idea what your interested in ie: Planets,deep sky objects etc, the members on this form will have a better idea as to what scope you should buy.Also "Don't" buy a scope yet until you talk to members on this site or any club you may join.Thats my advice but there are more experienced people here than me.Anyway whatever you decide good luck and clear skies
Cheers
Arthur
Old 06-11-2008, 06:45 AM
Davekyn (David)
Loves Staring Into Space!

Hi Clarry,
DON’T BUY IT...Maybe just my opinion, but I would say stay away from that scope. I am sure you can do much better than that! It’s just TOOOO Cheap. It’s one of the ones experienced astronomers will tell you not to touch.

Please read the following sticky...it’s is the BEST read I have seen on the internet anywere with regards to buying a beginner Telescope. Do yourself a favour and read this...you won’t be sorry!

General principles for choosing your first telescope:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.php?id=63,260,0,0,1,0

I am not sure what Binoculars you have used, but I got to tell you, that a good pair of 15X70 will probably beat that cheap scope from aldi hands down, in regards to getting started with the night sky. In fact I was so impressed with the pair I got that I bought a larger pair and now have a tripod on order for my new Binoculars. This was after I was using a 12” Dobsonian reflector...Bino’s definitely have their place along side a telescope & make an excellent choice for beginners.

As for scope...my favourite beginners one will always be a DobsonianJ You won't be sorry go down that path!

Just read the link above and you will have a much better idea as it will cover everything you need to think about as a beginner. Hope it helps.

Dave
Old 06-11-2008, 10:37 AM
stephenb (Stephen)

Hi Clarry, Welcome.

I would agree with Dave: Do not buy this telescope. Take the previous advice from Dave and Arthur. These types of telescopes have been traditionally called "department store telescopes". Worthless and you will be so frustrated with them they will put you off the hobby.

One option to think about is a good pair of binoculars, a tripod and a starchart and planisphere? With Summer approaching there will be lots of warm nights and bright 'binocular' objects to keep you going to months. This was you will not be overwhelmed with the night sky too much, and in a few months (also after doing a bit more research), you will have enough information on the best telescope for your needs.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Wavytone

DONT buy that scope.

1. start with binoculars and a planisphere.
2. go join a society and attend the open nights, usually 3rd quarter or new moon, often there are more scopes than people to look through them.

After all, why buy something you'll only use occasionally when someone else will let you use theirs ? Especially when its likely you'll get to use a really big one.

3. pick up something secondhand either here or from one of the astronomical societies - several advertise secondhand stuff for sale from members.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:42 PM
acropolite (Phil)

I agree completely with the others, particularly about meeting with others and having a look through their equipment. I'd also suggest that you have a think about how much you want to (or are prepared to) spend before making any decision.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Clarry (Clayton)
"L" plater

Thanks folks, I guess you've convinced me not to buy a cheap telescope. I actually did read the Beginners Guide before posting this topic. The idea of spending a night with an enthusiast club is appealing, especially as there is one quite close to me (Green Point Observatory), but I'm a chef and as such at work most nights so it makes it hard. This is why I thought a cheap scope might be my best way to experience astronomy before taking the big plunge on a $1000.00 plus unit. However I can see you're point, a poor quality piece of equipment may put me off the idea altogether. Guess I'll keep working on my options and see what transpires. Cheers.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Davekyn (David)
Loves Staring Into Space!

Sorry Clarry,
The last thing I or anyone would want to do is put you off the idea. Allow me to make a suggestion that is far from a $1000.00, yet get you off to a great start.

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm
90X900 Skywatcher Ahcro Refractor AZ3 Mount $299.00 including postage!

I started with a 60mm Tasco & can guarantee you will do much better with the $299.00 scope I have recommended above. I own a AZ3 Mount and can tell you it will do the job fine with that scope in regards to observing. That type of mount is going to be much better suited to a beginner and will allow you quick and easy viewing sessions.

Also as a beginner you will be more inclined to pick out the brighter objects in the sky, which will include mostly the moon/planets & Bright stars. The longer focal ratio will be great for such objects...you will easily split double stars as well (pick out stars that orbit each other...I loved doing that with my little tasco)

Although this will not be fantastic for DSO’s (Deep space) you can widen the field of view by using different eye peices. As for chromatic aberration, you would not care less as a beginner...you can use filters if its that bad, but I would not bother to begin with.

The thing is...you don’t need to spend a $1000.00 at all...so please don’t be put off. I wish I could of bought such a scope at only $299.00 especially with free postage.

If you want to focus on DSO’s then I would recommend that GS-680 8” Dobsonian:
click on (Guan Sheng ) to locate that scope at bottom of the page.

In fact you may very well find that not only could you go deeper, that it’s performance on planets & Lunar, more than enough...it will set you back $399.00 however you will have to get a few eyepieces. Still though, well under $1000.00

What’s the light pollution like where you live? Anyways...I just did not want to leave you high & dry...The 1st scope for $299.00 including postage would be the cheapest way out, & one I would feel comfortable recommending. In fact I may very well buy one of those for a friend of mine, beginning to show an interest in the hobby.

Hope work is going well for you...Later...
Dave J
Old 07-11-2008, 01:18 AM
Clarry (Clayton)
"L" plater

Thanks Dave, don't worry, I'm not put off. The reason I came to this forum was for the sort of informed advise that you and others have given. Both the options you have suggested sound interesting & within my budget. The Dobsonian in particular wets my appetite. Well Xmas is coming so perhaps I can convince my wife that I should buy my own present this year.
It was a clear sky tonight & my 7x50 binoculars gave me a great view of the moon & Jupiter in the western sky. Hopefully in the not too distant future & will get an even better view with one of the beasts you have outlined.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:04 AM
stephenb (Stephen)

Clarry, perhaps you can convince Father Christmas to pop two invaluable resources under the tree.

1. A planisphere like this one here
2. Atlas of the Southern Sky at all good book shops

These will be an asset to you for a long time
Old 07-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Clarry (Clayton)
"L" plater

You never know Stephen, I've been a very good boy all year long. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:27 AM
GrahamL
pro lumen

Those gs 8 " end of line for $399 andrews are selling are probably as cheap as where going to see for some time in this great entry sized dob.

Atlas of the southern night ..sky was given to me by a relative last year
and I think its a great publication .. theres a lot of books on the shelf in most bookstores on astronomy.. but while offering a great intro to the night sky they don't go much further than the absoulute basics ..this book is very well thought out ..
(cept for the constellation headers being in red )
It covers all the basics and drops some fairly accessable and differant DSO into the mix .
Old 09-11-2008, 05:42 PM
boundless

I can't believe you guys are telling us newbies that a pair of binoculars is better than the Aldi telescope. I think you are playing us for fools.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:46 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi boundless. Are you missing a " " on your post or are you serious?
Old 09-11-2008, 06:13 PM
boundless

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
Hi boundless. Are you missing a " " on your post or are you serious?
Of course I am serious. Please explain how a pair of binoculars could do a better job than a telescope??!!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:25 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

a cheap telescope will have a crap mount, which makes it near impossible to centre on the object you want...the finder will help you"find" very little. he ep's will not resolve objects correctly and the little eye relief will make viewing uncomfortbale.

after some 45 mins of frustration, you will throw the whole scope in the bin & wished you had spent a relaxing 44 mins gazing up at the wonders of the cosmos with the easy on the eyes binoculars... you will be pleased with the objects you managed to find & will be wanting more.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:47 PM
boundless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannat View Post
gazing up at the wonders of the cosmos with the easy on the eyes binoculars... you will be pleased with the objects you managed to find & will be wanting more.
Hi

What binoculars would I need in order to see something good? What magnification and cost would I be looking at?

Cheers
Old 09-11-2008, 06:48 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

OK, happy to. I have seen and played with one or two telescopes like these. For this price, many aspects of it have to be cheap and of low functionality. Usually the mounts are not very stable. The scope might sit steady when stationary (and no breeze), but if one tries to move it to track the moving stars (as the earth rotates), it's hard to keep the object of interest in the field of view. The focusser mechanisms are also routinely of a quality where the draw tube wobbles excessively making it difficult to focus on an object. Then if one touches the eyepiece with the eye while viewing, the focusser moves.

The eyepieces are usually made with plastic lenses so aberations, reflections, light loss are usually geat. The edge of the field may be very distorted and quite distracting to the observer.

For someone who is not experienced looking at the sky, a telescope can prove difficult. Firstly, the view will be inverted in some way compared with what one sees by eye. So it can be difficult recognising what is seen through the eyepiece in order to find the desired target. If the telescope is this cheap, the finderscope provided is usually almost unusable - difficult to see much through it and difficult to align with the view through the eyepiece.

I would suggest that one needs to spend around $400 on a telescope before one will be happier using that, than using a moderate quality astronomical binoculars worth around $120.

Still, perhaps someone will buy one of these Aldi scopes for us and give us a review?

What one gets with even moderate level astronomical binoculars is:- the use of two eyes which can be more comfortable for eyes and brain; capturing light through two apertures; the sky is the same orientation through the eyepieces as it is to the eye; good glass lenses and prisms; good multicoatings which increase light transmission and reduce reflections; good internal baffles and/or non-reflective paint reducing reflections. It is probably best to add a reasonable tripod ($100) to get the best use for stargazing. Also, they are readily used for terrestrial viewing as well.

What you do lose is magnification - but for most beginner objects, lower magnification is OK. Also looking higher in the sky is difficult, other than lying back and hand-holding the binoculars. If someone is serious, my experience is that they quickly progress to a quality entry level telescope, but, interestingly, they keep their binoculars and continue to use them.

There are a few thoughts from me. Others will have views as well and I'm sure we'll hear them.

Cheers
Eric

Last edited by erick; 09-11-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:54 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

OK, I was slow typing my epistle!

Have a search around this site:-

www.aoe.com.au

I suggest that you read their articles.

Many of us like their AOE12x60s for $109. You would need to add a tripod mount - the metal one for $19 is best. Then a Velbon tripod from a camera store (look for a cheap place and buy one for around $100-120). After that, maybe a stool to sit on, plus a Planisphere, plus copy of the latest Australian Sky and Telescope, plus redlight torch. And you are well under way.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:58 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

i would say 10x50 binoculars are a good size, they show a good deal and are comfortable for short looks without tripod.

two choices now - buy chinese or european/japan

chinese option - cost $100 or less.. two suppliers are aoe.com.au & andrewscom.com.au

europe/japan - quality & quality control superior.. but comes at a cost... now looking from $200-400

i went the chinese option and am happy with them.

one last thing - if you have old eyes you want to consider the exit pupil, which is the size of glass in mm divided by magnification ie 50/10 = 5mm exit pupil. younger people can tolerate larger pupil distances

With the binos you will want a skychart or planisphere. for monthly star chart i use skymaps.com & download sth hemisphere chart - it also gives a list of naked eye/bino objects to pickout