Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 06-07-2008, 08:26 PM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Which sky pollution filter work best with DSLR's for astrophoto - planetary nebs?

Guys, I'm interested in which filter would work best to cut out sky pollution glow for Canon 400D DSLR astro-photography of nebulae (generally planetary - like Eagle, Triffid or Helix)?

Living in light polluted North Ryde I was wondering if my next purchase should be a sky glow filter. I was pondering which one to attach to the connect for the Canon EOS.

I was guessing the 2" (to fit the Canon connector tube) Baader UHC-S Nebula filter that MyAstroShop sell for around $195. Can anyone please give advice or opinions?

http://www.myastroshop.com.au/produc...asp?id=MAS-127

At present my say 4 minute shots have noticeable city glow (using Lumicon OAG with a inbuilt focal reducer). Go out to 8 - 12 minute shots and the city glow washes out the fainter signal. The sweet spot at present is about 6 minutes - see triffid below (after a bit of photoshop level,s curves and Gaussian blur on the Neb itself) - so it makes fainter ones like the Helix really hard to grab.

Many thanks,

Matthew
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Trifid Nebulae 360 secs v01 small PS1.jpg)
161.4 KB109 views
Old 06-07-2008, 09:09 PM
turbo_pascale (Rob)

I'm a convert of the IDAS one by Heutech.

See thread below. Colour is consistent. The more you read the more you'll agree.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...highlight=IDAS
Old 13-07-2008, 08:33 AM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

After reading that post it summarises Astronomik and Hutech filters work best when you consider both contrast gain and minimal colour shift.

Next question - can these be attached to a Canon DSLR without having to major surgery because the Canon already has a UV/IR filter?

I presume you will get some value - because it is cutting sodium and mercury spectra?
Old 13-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Tandum (Robin)

I have an astronomik one in an EOS clip. It clips into the camera in front of the mirror. Downside is that it's only good for canon cameras, Upside, it is cheaper http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?...1157-850-11392

If buying again I'd go the hutech. I hear it doesn't screw up white balance as much.
Old 13-07-2008, 08:46 PM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Run that last point again - are you saying the Astronmik filter shifts colours discernibly?

Secondly do you use the camera normally during daylight shots with teh filter in - or must you remove it every time you wish to do a daylight shot?
Old 13-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Yes it shifts colours, everything looks blue. It can be corrected in PS but it's not easy. When my camera comes back from eric, I was going to try setting a custom white balance to fix it.

It needs to come out for daytime shots. It's not hard to remove, it simply clips in/out.

Here's some pics, raw and processed M5 and the filter itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (m5.jpg)
17.6 KB79 views
Click for full-size image (m5a.jpg)
129.4 KB80 views
Click for full-size image (CLS.jpg)
122.8 KB78 views

Last edited by Tandum; 13-07-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old 14-07-2008, 09:04 PM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

I see Eric panned the Lumicon UHC- filter (for colour shift) but what about the Lumicon Deep Sky filter - any points of view on this one (its specifically targets Sodium, Mecury and Neon glare?
Old 15-07-2008, 12:10 AM
turbo_pascale (Rob)

Get the IDAS filter.

Even on an unmodded camera, it helps heaps.

If you get the 2" filter, you can screw it anywhere in to the image train (I had mine screwed in to an OAG, but you can put it just about anywhere.

If you're keen and want to do REALLY wide fields, you can even get an adapter that will screw on to the front of a camera lens (I got one from Mogg Adapters)
Old 15-07-2008, 12:53 AM
Ian Robinson

I would like to see Lumicon mount their Ha , Hb, OIII , DS , UHC and comet band filters in that kind of cell as an option , I have written to them to that effect, would beat needing a 2" filter for prime focus imaging and a front filter for use with EF lens for wide field imaging.

A few more emails to the same effect from others , if you think it's a good idea would be helpful to get them to think about it.
Old 15-07-2008, 01:04 AM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by g__day View Post
I see Eric panned the Lumicon UHC- filter (for colour shift) but what about the Lumicon Deep Sky filter - any points of view on this one (its specifically targets Sodium, Mecury and Neon glare?
I'm surrounded by Na lamps (on the Pacific Hw about 2km away and a street lights (right in front of my house), and there are lots of Hg lamps around.

I would prefer a 2" DSF and a dropin DSF if Lumicon made them. All my filters are 1.25" (I've a full set of Lumicon bandpass filters) which are OK but too small.
I wonder how much Lumicon would charge to mount a (cut down) 2" DSF into a Hutech style front filter cell ?
and if you can buy the Hutech cells less the filter ?

My nasty letter to the nuty neighbour seems to have done the trick , I posted it on Friday , and his back light has been off at night since Tuesday .... or maybe the magistrate told him to cease when the other neighbour took him to court to stick an AVO onto him.
Old 21-07-2008, 10:50 AM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

I think I will go down the path of getting the Hutech IDAS LPS-P2-48 filter then.

So now I have to confirm how this gets inserted into the image train. As its a threaded 2" filter am I safe in assuming it will simply screw into a 2" Canon DSLR attachment adapter (or alternatively the 2" Canon DSLR adapter that came with my Lumicon OAG)?

I bought a 2" minus violet filter from Andrews on the weekend and tested it - it screwed onto both a normal 2" eye piece and the Canon DSLR adapter absolutely fine.

Will this work or do I need to order another piece of gear to mate it all together?
Old 21-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Tandum (Robin)

A 2" should screw into the camera adapter OK.

I got my camera back and a custom white balance fixed my discolouration isssues plus my new scope does not use 2" fittings at all so I'm glad I bought the eos clip instead. Will be getting a Ha oes clip as well when they come into stock at optcorp.