Old 12-07-2007, 02:32 PM
NQLD_Newby
Clear Skys and Open Road

Galaxsee 4.5 f/5

Hey guys/gals
I recently (approximately a month ago) received a tasco galaxsee 4.5 f/5 as a pressie. I see PeteMo has done a review on this exact scope and I have experienced similar concerns as pete about the ep quality. Being new at this and still very much in the learning stage, I have a question about which eye piece I should go out and buy.

I know and understand the calculations regarding maximum usable magnification etc. Given that my interest is mainly star clusters nebula etc, I am presuming (given everything that I have read so far) that I need reasonably low magnification with wide AFOV EP's. Given that this scope has a FL of only 500mm the eye piece I use will be considerably lower number compared to some of the longer focal length scopes to achieve the same magnification. I have found the 10mm EP supplied with the scope to be perfect for Omega Centarus. Although it looks like a cloud ball rather than seperate stars, size wise and filling the FOV this EP is the right size.

This brings me to my question. given my explanation above would a 10mm eye piece be well suited for looking at most DSO's (well those that are bright enough anyway) or would another size be more suited. The other problem is, in Townsville there is absolutely no telescope shops to get advice or even try out EP's etc. everything has to be mail ordered.

Oh another question, I have been reading a lot about collimation. Do I need a collimation tool and if so, how often should I do it.

thanks people, hope some of you can shed some light on the subject for me.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

A 10mm plossl should be fine for most dso viewing. Your scope is an f5, so the 10mm will give you a 2mm exit pupil, which is ideal.

If you dont have one , its worth considering a 25 or 30mm plossl for wide field viewing.
Old 13-07-2007, 08:10 AM
NQLD_Newby
Clear Skys and Open Road

Thanks Starkler, I guess being new it is always good to get some confirmation before spending the hard earned cash.
Old 13-07-2007, 08:17 AM
duncan
Duncan

Definitely get yourself a Cheshire collimator.
Cheers,
Duncan
Old 15-07-2007, 09:39 PM
toetoe (Peter)
Always Trying

G'day Rex
Get yourself a decent plossl e/p as well as a good barlow as the one which came with the unit isn't worth worrying about. I have had a ball with my little fella and i am sure you will also.
Old 15-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Rob_K

Totally agree with Peter - good eyepiece & barlow are a must. Just a different scope then! Nearly all your viewing will be at low power, with occasional higher for planets, moon. My 4.5" is f8 (focal length 900mm), so my 21mm EP gives about 43x magnification, which I find just right for most viewing. High magnification at our aperture usually costs too much light on deep space objects. Don't get too caught up in collimation, as our small scopes are a little more forgiving in this area I understand. I do collimate with a Cheshire, but I think the minor adjustments I (rarely) do make no perceptible difference to the views. Somebody with more knowledge than me about this may like to comment.

Great advantage of our 'littlies' is ease of use - I have mine set up all the time, and can whip it outside in one hand whenever the whim grabs me! Quick cooling too. A real joy to use, and at low power they're nowhere as bad as some "Bazooka" owners would tell us! LOL

Cheers -
Old 16-07-2007, 07:53 AM
NQLD_Newby
Clear Skys and Open Road

Well thanks Pete, Rob and Duncan for the input. I too leave mine set up all the time, I have been lucky enough to have clear skies every night since I got it, (think my misses is regretting her purchase, LOL). We live on 20acres on the outskirts of town so is a lot darker than being stuck in the suburbs as well. As for upgrading, I am gong to, but am having such a ball with this scope, and want to play for a good while so that I explore all the different avenues and know exactly what I want when I do. Thaks again for your input.
Old 16-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Harpspitfire

i have a different opinion on the EP quality, i had alot of 10mm's some time ago and compared them- i cant remember all off hand, but they were a GTO plossl, parks gold (ultima clone), orion sirius plossl , skywatcher model,and something else, the EP,s with my tasco were a 20mm and 10mm MA- believe it not they came in 2nd place after the Park's Gold for focus and clarity- i sold the others including orion's sirius plossl on astromart and kept the Parks 10mm and 'cheap' tasco's!!
Old 22-07-2007, 08:40 PM
taminga16 (Greg)

Tasco Galaxsee

Tasco Galaxsee my second 'scope, a point on ep's I am using GSO 15, 20 & 25mm plossol ep's with good results. just be mindful of not over driving them, as Rob has said. Regards Greg.
Old 23-07-2007, 08:41 AM
NQLD_Newby
Clear Skys and Open Road

Thanks Harpspitfire something to ponder, and thanks Greg, as mentioned there are no shops up here that stock anything, so trying before you buy is not possible. This site is so great, because you can get opinions from people with similar scopes etc and base your purchase decisions on a whole lot more than a guess. Thanks again everyone, for your help.