Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 23-06-2007, 07:00 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Camera Adaptor for Pentax XW eyepieces

Hi all,

I have several Pentax XW eyepieces. The eyeguard screws off the end and reveals some threads which are designed to take a camera adaptor for eyepiece projection photography. I wish to source one of these adaptors. Can someone provide me with a supplier or part number or a link please. Cost isn't an issue, I just want one.

CS-John B
Old 23-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi John

Have a look at these guys, Scopetronix, although I have read posts on sci.astro.amateur that they are either out of, or went out of, or are struggling with the business. Several warnings were issued about ordering from them, but things may have improved? Maybe send an exploratory e-mail to see what response you get?

Navigate to the digi scoping section and maybe try the Wizard too.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 23-06-2007, 07:39 PM
monoxide

http://www.scopetronix.com/mvdslr.htm

not sure if this is what you are after, there is a link half way down the page to 'step rings' the 43mm one sounds like the one your after
Old 23-06-2007, 08:16 PM
StarLane
Futurist

Hi John,

What you need is a Baader M43/T-2 adapter ring which will enable you to attach a T-ring to the thread of the XW's.
I originally bought this for my Hyperion EP's but have been using it recently with my XW30. I got it from York Optical, around $25 from memory. The thread on the EP and the T-ring thread is slightly different by 1mm, that's why this adapter is needed. It says on the box Hyperion T Adapter M43/T-2. Hope this help.

Cheers.
Old 23-06-2007, 08:58 PM
StarLane
Futurist

Here is a link to the adapter on the York Optical web-site. Part number/stock number is 2958080.

http://www.astronomyonline.com.au/De...bid=52&cid=162

Once you have the adapter, you will need a T-ring for your Canon, if you don't already have one. They are about $35.
Screw the adapter onto the XW thread first, then screw on the T-ring, then attach your camera and start shooting.
Old 24-06-2007, 05:32 AM
gbeal

John
what is the thread? I get my Baader rings etc from Bob Luffel at Alpine Astro, excellent service. I have a Baader/Tak 43/T2 adapter you can try if you like. It has female M43 on one side and female M42 on the other. Try Bobs site though.
Gary
Old 24-06-2007, 01:35 PM
OneOfOne (Trevor)
Meteor & fossil collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Hi John

Have a look at these guys, Scopetronix, although I have read posts on sci.astro.amateur that they are either out of, or went out of, or are struggling with the business. Several warnings were issued about ordering from them, but things may have improved? Maybe send an exploratory e-mail to see what response you get?

Navigate to the digi scoping section and maybe try the Wizard too.

Cheers

Dennis
I ordered some stuff from them last year....still waiting! Not charged to the Visa though...whew!
Old 24-06-2007, 01:39 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Hi John

I've heard/read various thing about their business (in business or not in business)...

At least for a while OPT in the US had some stock of scopetronix products but I have no idea if it is what you are looking for or not...that might be an alternative
Old 24-06-2007, 06:05 PM
gbeal

John,
cloudy evenings are great for tinkering, and so I removed the rubber eyeguard from my XW7 (only have the XW7, and XW14).
It doesn't "unscrew" like you suggest, it is merely held by a groove on the rubber.
Anyway, if I screw right in the adjustable eyeguard it does reveal a very short thread when fully retracted. This thread is indeed 43mm, and to try it I attached part of a Takahashi eyepiece adaptor which has the 43mm thread, it screwed on perfectly.
OK, the thread on mine is 43mm, but it is a male 43mm. The adaptor I wrote about earlier is a male to male, and will not work for what you want.
Try here http://www.alpineastro.com/eyepiece_...ope%20Adapters but at this stage I think we are stumped. Maybe write to Bob anyway and ask. Failing that, do what I would do, and get one spun up on a lathe.
Gary
Old 24-06-2007, 10:23 PM
StarLane
Futurist

I have used the Baader M43/T-2 adapter with my XW30. It works perfectly.
No need to spin one up on a lathe.
It`s a 43mm x 0.75mm thread. The adapter is available from York Optical, Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney, no need to purchase over seas either.
My Astro Shop also stock them.
Old 25-06-2007, 04:38 AM
gbeal

Then either I am doing this wrong, or my XW7 is different to everyone elses, mine is new from Japan last week. Glad you can make ot work though.
Old 19-01-2009, 08:00 AM
samw523

just dredging up an old thread here for my first post

ive been a member her for a couple of years now but never posted before...

i have a pentax xw30 eyepiece and the Baader/Tak 43/T2 adapter to connect to my olympus OM1 w/t-ring. I have recently taken several moon shots through my GSO 12" dob which have turned out fairly poor (fuzzy/ blurry some detail) compared to moon shots taken at prime focus (quite sharp and plenty of detail).

conditions were fairly similar and i took several shots through the xw30 over several nights of varying degrees of seeing - with none of them coming close to the shots ive taken at prime focus

just wondering if anybody else has taken photos through the xw30 and if so how did the photos turn out? better or worse than prime focus?

i have a couple of theories but i will wait and see what others have experienced before posting

noting that focal length of prime focus through my scope is 1500mm and with the xw30 in the system it changes it to about 1650mm (equivalent) - in other words if im getting poor results with the xw30 then i will revert to prime focus as its not worth the slight increase in magnification.

cheers
Old 19-01-2009, 04:48 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Hi,

The problem is that your scope doesn't track. Using eyepiece projection you are increasing the focal length of the scope significantly over prime focus. This greatly magnifies the fact that the scope is not tracking and the earth is rotating. Using the 30mm XW on a tracking mount would likely fix the problem

Cheers,
John B
Old 20-01-2009, 09:28 AM
samw523

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausastronomer View Post
Hi,

The problem is that your scope doesn't track. Using eyepiece projection you are increasing the focal length of the scope significantly over prime focus. This greatly magnifies the fact that the scope is not tracking and the earth is rotating. Using the 30mm XW on a tracking mount would likely fix the problem

Cheers,
John B
interesting.....

my scope with the eyepiece has 50x magnification - and at prime focus it has approx 42x

i get clear shots at 42x - prime focus
blurry shots at 50x - with eyepiece projection

note my exposures are only 1/250 to 1/1000 of a seccond so im not so sure that i would need a tracking mount to take decent photos (of the moon)

my theory is that because i need an extention tube and then the xw30 and then the camera that it was so much weight that it distorts the image on the film so that only part of it is in focus and the rest is out of focus

hmm who knows

i will just concentrate on prime focus shots for now
Old 05-08-2011, 01:55 PM
ubique (Hugh)

I just bought an Hyperion T Adapter M43/T-2 from My Astro Shop because I read on here it would fit the Pentax XW eyepieces. IT DOESN'T so if anyone really knows what adapter fits these eyepieces to enable a T mount camera to fit I would appreciate it.
Hugh
Old 11-08-2011, 10:43 AM
skies2clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubique View Post
I just bought an Hyperion T Adapter M43/T-2 from My Astro Shop because I read on here it would fit the Pentax XW eyepieces. IT DOESN'T so if anyone really knows what adapter fits these eyepieces to enable a T mount camera to fit I would appreciate it.
Hugh
It should work. I have a Baader Hyperion T-Adapter M43/T-2 part number 2958080 and it sure does fit all my XW's. The 43mm thread is a female thread that screws over the top of the XW once the top rubber section is uncrewed from the XW.
The other side of the adapter is a male T2 thread.

Maybe yours is defective/incorrect/accidently wrongly packaged/who knows for sure, but this is the correct adapter you need,

Clear skies