Old 04-06-2007, 06:27 PM
nmo

Which 8 - 10mm eyepiece?

I have tried to find information comparing the following eyepieces but have been unable to so I hope I'm not double posting.

I own a 12” Meade Lightbridge and have the eyepiece that came with it (Meade series 4000 wide angle 26mm) a 2” 2x barlow and a couple of cheap plossl's (20mm and 10mm)

I have 2 questions

-1- What is more important, AFOV or Eye relief?
-2- Which of the below would be the best choice or is there a better choice?

As you can see I'm looking at the cheaper end of the market and wouldn't want to consider anything that was 2 much more expensive. However I don't want to waste money either so if this range won't show a noticeable improvement in any area then I'll just stick with what I've got

I'm looking for an eyepiece for planets and a higher magnification for some DSO's

Possible 8 – 10 mm eyepieces

Orion ED 2 9.5mm 55 Degree 20mm eye relief $127 Telescope shed
Vixen LV 9mm 50 Degree 20mm eye relief $179 myastroshop
Tele Vue Plossl 08mm 50 Degree 6mm eye relief $129 Bintel
Meade S4000 S Plössl 9.7mm 52 Degree 4mm eye relief $89 Bintel
Meade S5000 Plössl 9mm 60 Degree 6.8mm eye relief $145 Bintel

Thank's

NMO
Old 04-06-2007, 07:00 PM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

This thread may help.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=17587

Check out the TMB's as well or Pentax XF http://www.frontieroptics.com.au/
Old 04-06-2007, 09:35 PM
astronut (John)
2'sCompany3's a StarParty

Hi NMO,
You will be recommended a lot of different (and very good ) e/p's by the IIS members.
I have a LB12" and I use the Siebert Optics "Ultra series" e/p's.
Sieberts sell different levels of quality, but the Ultras are the premium level. They come in 1 1/4" or 2" sizes.
I bought mine straight from Harry Siebert in the states.
Their appearance is very plain, the lenses are mounted in aluminium cells this is a great asset when trying to balance the scope.
They all have 20mm e/r and a 70DAFOV.
The images through them are mind blowing. I have the 17mm, 9mm + the Telecentric 2X Barlow(this is very similar to the Televue Powermates)
With the current exchange rate you will get them at a good price.
Del is about 10days. The reason for this is because Harry will make the lens for you when you place your order. He is also very happy to help you before and after purchase. www.siebertoptics.com
Old 05-06-2007, 07:56 AM
OneOfOne (Trevor)
Meteor & fossil collector

It is hard to say which is the more important FOV or ER. Without appearing to make a silly comment I would have to say "both"! I used to use a set of Celestron mid range plossls, but now I only use the Pentax and Stratus eyepieces.

The eye relief will make it much easier to see something, especially if you need glasses (or if anyone looking through needs them). Also people who are not used to scopes will find longer relief much easier, this is particularly handy if you are showing objects to small kids or their mums and dads.

Field of view will be very handy on scopes that do not track as the object will remain in view for longer so you won't have to keep moving as often, this would be very handy if you are showing other people and need to keep it in view for a while. With a focal length of 8 to 10 the objects will move fairly quickly.

I actually bought my Stratus 8 "for the public" to get FOV and ER but it cost around $200 as I recall. If you happen to be in "the same place" as me some time, borrow it for a look.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:02 AM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Dave's recomm on the money. 9mm Burgess/TMB or 8.5mm Pentax XF. These are by far the best bang for buck EPs around that F.L. The XF is truly a premium performer.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:03 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Have a look at this thread if I had the readies now there would be many fewer on offer now.

To see the difference just go to the MyAstroShop site.

Go for it!!
Old 05-06-2007, 05:06 PM
nmo

Thanks for the advice, much more to think about as I had expected.

The advice on this site is great!!!
Old 08-06-2007, 10:13 PM
StarLane
Futurist

Hi NMO,

You have a nice scope there, so make the most of it and buy some good EP`s. The best of the ones you have listed would be the LV 9mm IMO.
The fact that your scope does not track, you should consider a wider field EP so you don`t need to re-position so often. At high magnifications the subject moves out of view quite fast, as you may know. You should consider at least 60 degrees.
I have three Burgess/TMB planetary EP`s and I love em. Very reasonable price and great eye relief. I like a combo of semi wide fields (60-70) and good eye relief for comfortable viewing over long viewing sessions. Look at the 8 or 9mm @ 60 degrees, $149 from memory.
I also have two Baader Hyperions (similar to Stratus). These are also good value, 68 degrees and 20mm ER. Checkout the 8mm at $215.
I have a 30mm Pentax XW and have tried a 10mm XW which I have now ordered and it`s arriving soon. Judging by the great sharpness, contrast and throughput the Pentax EP`s have, I reckon the XF series would also be a good choice, 60 degrees and excellent ER, good value for the price, also $215. They make an 8.5 and 12mm. But, the XW 10mm is better than all of them around this focal length IMO.

Remember this quote I read some time ago, (I hope I can remember what it said, it is something along these lines),
"A $5000 scope with a $50 EP will give you $50 views. A $5000 scope with a $500 EP will give you million dollar views".
Remember the eyepiece is half the telescope, and, an optical system is only as good as it`s weakest link. If you can afford it, go for the better EP`s in the beginning to avoid disappointment, you have them forever and will not have to upgrade.