Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters

Old 29-04-2007, 10:15 PM
joe90

Experiences with 40mm eyepieces

Hi

I am looking at purchasing a low power eyepiece for my 10" f10 Meade.

University Optics have their 2" 40mm Konig and then there's the Meade super wide? but at about $600

Does anyone have any experiences with the Konig? or good experiebce with other brands?

I have some ABE orthos for the planets 5,7,9 mm and the standard 26mm that came with the Meade. But for deep sky, i.e messier objects I am thinking the 40mm 2" is the way to go?

Any one got any comments, suggestions?

Joe.
Old 30-04-2007, 08:05 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

With an f/10 SCT, you'll find that most 40mm eyepieces are pretty forgiving. I had a Celestron 8" a few years ago and the 40mm Plossl that came with it was fine (although it was 1.25" fitting).

I've been very pleasantly surprised by the 32mm GSO wide view eyepiece that came with my Dob, so I reckon these days you can't go far wrong with the longer focal length eps.

From what I've read, the Meade super wide may not be worth the money. The Konig gets reasonable reviews (for a budget eyepiece). Maybe place a wanted ad on Ice in Space and see what people have - you might get a bargain!

Morton