Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters

Old 17-04-2007, 08:37 PM
stellarquest

Help required please-Barlow and Oxy3

Hi folks,Have just bought a new LB12' and have a need for a Barlow ( mag not yet defined, so open to sugestions ). Anyone able to say which will come to focus? And which will not? I have a WO that will not!Also now realise an Oxy3 is needed. So the question is which 1.25" should I buy and of course, why?? Usual viewing of the Tarantula and Orion etc.Thanks all in advance for any help.
Old 17-04-2007, 10:37 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

The Orion Deluxe 2" will come to focus in just about anything because it's very long (usually needs to sit an inch or more out of the focuser so there is plenty of in and out travel to spare). It is a great barlow (same as the old UO 2", see Dave's review in the IIS reviews section). The 1.25" version is quite long also. I suspect that should have no probs either. The internal baffle in these barlows works superbly for producing clean high contrast images. The 1.25" is an absolute bargain at under $100. Sirius Optics is one place I know that sells them.
Old 18-04-2007, 10:42 PM
JethroB76 (Jeff)

I have both a 12" LB and a 2" Orion deluxe and can confirm that not only is the orion a very nice barlow but that it does indeed come to focus in the LB. I need to have it sitting a little out of the focuser but not much, maybe 1/2 an inch.
It seems that the Orion Deluxes are not a regular stock item in most stores in Australia though
Old 19-04-2007, 06:17 AM
stellarquest

Thank you for confirming this. Looks like I will buy the Orion! And nice to hear from another happy LB12 owner too. Meade have created a revolution with this one!