Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-11-2017, 01:09 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

SkyWatcher off white - colour match??

My ol' HEQ5 is beginning to show it's age and needs a touch up job....
Anyone established the best colour match for the SW "white"?????
Old 24-11-2017, 07:39 AM
garymck (Gary)

Easy enough to get a colour match done at a paint store. The only issue with some whites is that the match may require buying up to 4 litres - this is due to the need to apportion the tints in the right ratios. Usually though you can get away with buying a one litre. The automated matching systems can usually get pretty close, but if you can find an old hand who matches by eye you can get close to 100%. Be aware though that even the best match may look different under different lights - a phenomenon known as metamerism.

Best if you repaint the whole mount rather than patch touch up....

chers
Gary
Old 24-11-2017, 08:33 AM
doppler (Rick)

The cheapest way would be to go to an auto accessories store and see if you can find a match with a car touch up spay can, around $13. You should try and find out what sort of paint is used first, to avoid any incompatibilities, but you could test it on a counterweight to see how it goes.
Old 24-11-2017, 08:52 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Gary is spot on, though I have found Bunnings will do a sample pot in acrylic or enamel - I had a sample pot of Tak Green PRECISELY matched in enamel, and it cost me $10.

Then you need to spray it - a brush vs spry (factory) sticks out like danglies on a dog. DO NOT HAND PAINT! I have air brushes and sprayers, so that is easy for me, but if you don't, it would be best to invest in a DIY spray top (available at Supercheap auto for about $20 - fill the glass reservoir, attach the compressed can spray unit on top, spray).

Or, if you can find a good auto-colour guy, have him make up a rattle can for you. Local guy here made me up a precise AstroPhysics Corvette white can, matched to the UV fading of a 30 year old scope. Supercheap will also make you one up, but you'd need the paint code.

I think repainting an HEQ5 is a great idea - the plastic parts (esp. the front cover) look so different to the cast metal white that redoing it entirely evens it all out. Otherwise, it's cream and white hodgepodge.
Old 24-11-2017, 08:56 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

PS; for a computer spectrum scanned colour match, you need to give them a FLAT sample - which would mean on an HEQ5 taking in perhaps the puck head, or the whole mount, scanning the flat sides. You won't get a good match from a curved surface or i=rregular surface due to the intrusion of light from the sides (they CAN put a cloth around the scanner to minimise that, but I've never seen a close enough match). Also best to use a non-textured surface, which is gonna be hard with the "hammertone" white.

My best suggestion - go to Masters and buy Hammertone White (a pommy paint manufacturer - the only one I ever found in QLD), or try Appliance White from Bunnings or elsewhere (epoxy best)