ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2017, 11:48 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Another plan

I am thinking, given that I will be back and forth between here and Sydney, that maybe I should consider basically setting up a new portably small set up.
I think an eq5, an espirit 80mm and a finder scope size guide scope (I notice there is a 60mm with rings) and my soon to be moddded DSLR.
The eq5 does not seem to be belt drive??? However with the fl of the 80mm I assume such a rig would track OK.

And if I was to go for a cooled mono later on all should be OK

Pre observatory I could lay a concrete pad with markers for tripod legs.
I could leave the rig set up for the dark week here and just cover it with a tarp...unless the weathers gets real bad in which case pack it up.

My system to polar align is quick and hopefully everything being small would make this idea manageable.

This also means I can develop the eq6 (belt drive) at my leisure and get by without building the observatory.

I feel at least the 80mm seems a good scope...maybe even get an electric focuser for it...

Alex
Old 06-08-2017, 11:58 AM
casstony

Here's an Esprit 80 on an EQ5 style mount (Celestron Advanced VX); great setup but it still needs guiding. I like the Celestron all star polar alignment routine (ASPA). The 50mm finder is used as the guidescope, with an appropriate adapter for the camera.
Belt drive is not a big factor in tracking - the accuracy of the worm and ring gear are more important.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSCN0002 (2).JPG)
181.2 KB34 views
Old 06-08-2017, 12:36 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you Tony that's what I have in mind.
I notice Bintel have a dual bracket so you can have a guide scope and finder scope.
Alex
Old 06-08-2017, 12:51 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Had a look at the vx ..they seem OK and that feature would be great ...once polar align was such a proceed.
My method is place scope in home position not tracking and take a time exposure and adjust, until the trails are centered...the Celestron system should be even faster.
Thanks Tony your input has been extremely helpful.
Alex
Old 06-08-2017, 01:09 PM
casstony

Some people like the HEQ5 mount better for AP since it has a ball bearing on the Dec axis rather than a plain bearing and you might like the HEQ5 since you're already familiar with Skywatcher. The HEQ5 might also be better if you're controlling the mount via computer.

I like the Advanced VX but I don't use a computer and have a stand alone guider. I also use StarSense to automate alignment. The only manual adjustment I have to make is when I do the all star polar alignment.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:17 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Tony
Its like making a choice at a Chinese restaurant too many dishes and they all sound great.
I read an older thread here discussing the two mounts and it seems an eq 6 won over both the celestron and the eq5..
Maybe I should think about a losmandy???
A static tripod and high iso???

Alex
Old 07-08-2017, 09:39 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I am contemplating selling my Esprit 80 with the DSLR adaptor and custom CCD adaptor to make way for another Tak FSQ85. Price with the adaptor but WITHOUT the travel case is $1600 posted
Old 07-08-2017, 10:20 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Or, alternatively, buy a new one including field flattener, DSLR adapter, finder scope and travel case (as standard with all the Esprit range) from Bintel for $2199
Old 07-08-2017, 10:21 AM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Thanks Tony
Its like making a choice at a Chinese restaurant too many dishes and they all sound great.
I read an older thread here discussing the two mounts and it seems an eq 6 won over both the celestron and the eq5..
Maybe I should think about a losmandy???
A static tripod and high iso???

Alex
It can be confusing, but I think you can narrow it down to the HEQ5 or Advanced VX, both of which are much more portable than the EQ6. Choosing between the HEQ5/AVX comes down to preferences in the way you like to operate them. eg. if you like using EQMOD then the Skywatcher HEQ5 becomes the obvious choice.

I don't use a computer and like to use StarSense Autoalign so the AVX is fine for me. StarSense can be purchased for the Skywatcher mounts too but it's more expensive.

Or you can go super portable and use a DSLR with lens and a simple tracking mount.

Perhaps what you really need is for someone to tell you want to buy and stop offering choices
Old 07-08-2017, 10:23 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Or, alternatively, buy a new one including field flattener, DSLR adapter, finder scope and travel case (as standard with all the Esprit range) from Bintel for $2199
Smarty bum of course the flattener is included and the finder and bracket - heck, an SW finder is only worth $1.50 anyway lol. I just want the case!

The CCD adaptor - that SW do NOT supply you - cost $150 alone. The DSLR adaptor and Canon EOS T Ring included as already mentioned.

And it's POSTED - there's another $50 saving.

So nar ne nar ne nar nar.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:24 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Yeah AVX and EQ5 are a LOT lighter and smaller than an EQ6.

You don't absolutely need a computer to do a drift alignment, for example...I use DARV, very easy, only need the camera and mount to nail it.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:26 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Smarty bum of course the flattener is included and the finder and bracket - heck, an SW finder is only worth $1.50 anyway lol. I just want the case!

The CCD adaptor - that SW do NOT supply you - cost $150 alone. The DSLR adaptor and Canon EOS T Ring included as already mentioned.

And it's POSTED - there's another $50 saving.

So nar ne nar ne nar nar.

What's the camera side thread off the back of the flattener, before you thread the Canon T-ring on?

Besides, if Alex is going to be in Sydney, he can pick up...

You were recently bleating about the poor build quality of your Esprit...you can't have it both ways
Old 07-08-2017, 10:35 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I can have it both ways thank you And at least I was bleating to the one considering buy it LOL

M66 off the back of the flattener. I designed it to have a screw off cap at the end with M48 threads, so you can stack 2" threads in there. Terminus is a standard T thread.

Heck, I'll even include the custom rings I had made in HK if Alex wants to use rings instead of the foot.

Or I'll keep it as a SXS guider with the A-P (was thinking of an FOA-60 for that)
Old 07-08-2017, 10:38 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

So having M42 as standard it DOES have a connection for CCD/cooled CMOS
Old 07-08-2017, 10:39 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Of course
Old 07-08-2017, 10:40 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Wanna buy it Dunk? For you, special price - $1700
Old 07-08-2017, 10:41 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Funnily enough, I'd love a little Esprit 80...my 100 is a cracker

For the price, I'd rather go for the fresh, all-white factory stock
Old 07-08-2017, 11:28 AM
casstony

The Esprit 100 can do full frame but the Esprit 80 is much lighter in weight. Both are very nice scopes and good value compared to Takahashi, especially once you start accessorising your Tak.

Dunk, you can use a Riccardi reducer with the Esprit 100.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:36 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Funnily enough, I'd love a little Esprit 80...my 100 is a cracker

For the price, I'd rather go for the fresh, all-white factory stock
You must be colour blind - they aren't all white (white, black, red, silver)....
Old 07-08-2017, 11:40 AM
glend (Glen)

I just bought a very nice Photoline TS80 APO, FPL-53, f7 reduces to f5.5 with my existing 3" Photoline reducer corrector screwing right on to the 2.5" rack and pinon focuser. Its the baby brother to my TS 115mm, giving me a range of focal lengths. And it was less than $1k delivered to my door. Dunk the tube is white with black rings.