Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2006, 12:25 AM
janoskiss (Steve H)

pinholes in Baader solar film

Finished my solar filter for tomorrow. Then shock horror, on close inspection at a halogen desk lamp: pinholes!! Not just one or two either, but quite a few! Now I'm looking up Baaders info, and their instructions actually state:

Quote:
...inspect the cell for light leaks prior to using it on your telescope or binoculars. You must be sure that absolutely no unfiltered light gets through. Use a black felt-tip marker on the inside of the filter (for esthetic appearance) to cover tiny pinholes in the filter material. Now
your “do-it -yourself” filter is ready. Enjoy!
So they are actually expecting you to find pinholes in the stuff! .. and a black marker to save you from blindness! okay I know I'm exaggerating, few small pinholes will not cause blindness, but still, I appreciate why some dealers refuse to stock the stuff and insist on solid glass filters.

So it's a stop off at the newsagent's for a permanent marker before work tomorrow. (although the forecast is not looking too good)
Old 09-11-2006, 12:36 AM
rogerg (Roger)

I haven't found any in my film yet but I have been waiting for them to appear, it feels like such flimsy stuff. I decided not too long after buying mine that I'd only use it for photographic work, I simply don't like risking my eyeball. The webcam I don't care about, it's cheap and replaceable.

Scary that you found so many. How old is your sheet of it?

Roger.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:48 AM
casstony

Doesn't sound too flash at all. I've used Baader solar film for a few years and haven't had any pinholes - I just now checked it again after your post Steve. I've mostly given up using it in favor of the PST; the solar film shows sunspots better but I just like the added safety of the PST. I gave myself quite a shock once by almost looking through my scope before attaching the filter.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:26 AM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Roger, you're right that it feels very flimsy.

This is brand new stuff I have here. The pinholes are indeed very tiny (except for one that is not very tiny, just tiny). You need to hold the film right up to a bright lightsource to see the pinholes easily. They are not all over the whole sheet but in several relatively localised areas.

I'll give the filter a go tomorrow if the clouds clear, but I'll invest in a solid glass filter after that. Astro-optical tell me that they can have them custom made for any scope (to fit OTA to the mm), so it's a snug fit. Costs about the same as ready-made ones in fixed sizes.

I think I'll go the custom fit job for the Mak. A 6" scope should be a nice aperture for solar observing... no? I'm thinking the Sun must be plagued by thermal noise more than any other celestial target, so any more resolution than a 6" scope has is not needed...
Old 09-11-2006, 07:51 AM
spudrick

I have the Baader film as well and this morning watching the Transit i noticed the pinholes you describe. When changing eyepieces i looked through the back and could clearly see some very tiny pinholes.
Must be in the manufacturing process as the Film is brand new and used for the first time.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:01 AM
OneOfOne (Trevor)
Meteor & fossil collector

I have read similar instructions my self. Rather than use a "texta" I would put a dob of white out on the hole, just to be sure!
Old 09-11-2006, 08:34 AM
acropolite (Phil)

I bought the thousand oaks film, Zero pinholes and a pleasant orange colour when viewing as well.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:40 AM
stephenmcnelley

Janoskiss i have had similar issues with the film, but having kept lots off small off-cuts i cover the occasional pinhole by gluing a tiny patch over the fault using something inoquous like a water based gluestick.
It works well and doesnt effect image quality providing you use a minimum size patch.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:43 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite
I bought the thousand oaks film, Zero pinholes and a pleasant orange colour when viewing as well.
Phil - I agree with you. I've been fortunate enough to get Ving's offcuts - large enough still for full aperture on my ETX-60 refractor. The Thousand Oaks film is totally devoid of any pin holes, and is actually thicker, I think, than the Baader film. It's more like x-ray sheet film in it's feel. I have absolutely no wrinkles or holes over the 60 mm or so that I'm covering.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:04 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

and from the original sheet my 8" full aperture thousand islands... i mean oaks has not a single pinhole in it and gives a nice natural orangey colour.

if only the clouds would go away.