ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerg View Post
For what it's worth, my 2c worth ...

I have 8 IP power switches in my observatory and appreciate having them all, but could make do with less. It gives me great flexibility.
- Telescope
- Camera
- Computer
- Dew heater
- Focuser
- Second camera
- Cloud Watcher
- Light (to illuminate the observatory to see using a webcam)

I think the 9258W will suit you well as it has WiFi built in. The other functionality sounds very much the same as the other unit (probably the same chinglish firmware )

If you get the WiFi version you won't need Cat5/ethernet cable but if you don't get the wifi version you would either need cable or a WiFi access point in the obs to link to the house, which you then connect a cable to the IP power from.

Yes I can see why you would need 8. My dew heater, focusor and cameras operate from the Mount Hub Pro. I will certainly need one for the others you have and did not think of the light for the security camera. Food for thought.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Hey Fred that controller is no longer available. Is this one here, going to work exactly the same and can you give me any tips on how to use them? ie do I need to have a cat5 cable connection to the modem in the house or can I use it wirelessly with the wireless router? How many would you recommend, I am thinking just the one but I could be completely wrong here? My questions might indicate my complete blank about the use of this product. I know that you plug the camera, mount, roof and computer into it but that is all I know or think I know.
I used a cat5 cable to my router to set the wifi up 1st time, after that its wifi operation. I have 2 so I can reset everything seperately, its worth it (eg, I can turn off the rotator for a week to image one object without the stupid time consuming homeing routine everytime it powers up) and seperate outputs for dew heaters etc.. It has a built in web interface, so you can address it directly via yr router rather than the obs PC. The web interface is very easy to use and intuative and has powerful auto timing on-off features. Theres also a seperate simple desktop app just to turn stuff on and off.

Really, once its set up, its a no brainer to use. Instructions are provided for set up, its not hard. Its just a remotely controlable power board for anything with a 240v plug.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Paul Haese

Thanks Fred, I see your point about separate connections. I'll look more into it. Thanks for the tips.
Old 15-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Paul Haese

Bit of an update.

I purchased a roll off roof system from Scope Dome. They make great domes (one of which I have purchased for another automated observatory, yep two obs automated) but their gear is adaptable to roll off roof systems.

It comes complete with main board and a wireless board to handle control of thermometer, limit switches for the roof, hygrometer, Cloud sensor, park scope position and a range of other things which are useful for automated observatories.

I have one issue though and that is the inverter has a faulty command pin which Scope Dome are replacing. It should be here in a week or so.

I have a video of the roof opening, but not closing. When I have it closing I will post another video with it doing everything.

https://vimeo.com/70316652
Old 15-07-2013, 09:48 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Sounds like a great system being so well integrated.

Neat to see the video

I did embark on a great video exercise of my newly motorised roof, but make the task too big I think and so gave up and then broke my ankle and now can't be bothered But must do something.
Old 16-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Paul Haese

Roof works now. Link of the video below.

https://vimeo.com/70394311

Pretty happy with that. The screeching is just the rubber wheels rubbing up against the rails. The video makes it sound way louder than it actually is, however I will take a look at it to see if I can keep the noise low.

The software integration is next and I know the software will work with CCDautopilot.
Old 21-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Paul Haese

Software integration now complete. I had some trouble with getting the scope dome driver to connect with CCDAP. As it turned out it was Windoze user account settings stopping things. A friend suggested dropping the settings and it connected straight away.

The only real issue left with the roof automation now is to set up a reed switch to make sure the scope is at park before the roof closes. The scope dome software handles this and the hardware has the facility to connect a reed switch. Consequently I am waiting for an order from the States to arrive this coming week. Once this is installed I can do a few small runs to check if everything works as designed and ensure that the safe guards are working.
Old 21-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Sounds awesome Paul, look forward to seeing it work without you touching it..