ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2015, 07:12 PM
RobC (Rob)

SkyWatcher Esprit 150 ED - First Light

My Esprit 150 turned up last week after ordering it three months ago. Its big , bold and beautiful. From my preliminary testing it lives up to the aberration free review claims that I have read.

I still have to test it with a full frame camera but I am getting round stars to the image edge with an APS-C sized DSLR sensor . I can not detect any colour , spherical or coma aberration in the images and I am blown away with the image resolution I am seeing.

I was a bit concerned that the AZ-EQ6 may not handle the all up weight of 20 kg plus but I encountered no problems with test image guides of 1 minute to 60 minutes. These guiding tests were performed during the full moon last Friday night.

The three inch focuser is very smooth and I was easily able to achieve focus with a bahtinov mask. Over a 2 hour time period it did not require refocusing. My next step is to motorize the focuser.

On Tuesday night I was able to get a few hours of imaging before the moon rose. The attached M8 image was captured then. Most of my imaging has been done at F10 and the different ISO and exposure times required for F7 quite surprised me. Need to experiment a bit.

I will post further information on the Esprit 150 after I have completed more imaging and gained more experience with its use.

Overall I am very excited with the scope and its performance and consider the Esprit 150 exceptional value.

I have attached four images :

1. The Esorit 150 travel case. Note the wheels on the case.
2. The Esprit 150 rigged up for imaging on the AZ-EQ6 mount.
3. The Esprit 150 and its little sister an Esprit 100.
4. M8 - First Light for the Esprit 150 . 10 * 2 minute 1600 iso lights and 10 * 2 minute 1600 iso darks stacked an enhanced in PixInSight

Cheers

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Esprit150-000.jpg)
199.5 KB286 views
Click for full-size image (Esprit150-002.JPG)
131.2 KB290 views
Click for full-size image (Esprit150-001.JPG)
159.8 KB378 views
Click for full-size image (Esprit150-003.jpg)
160.7 KB381 views
Old 03-09-2015, 07:32 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Looking really nice!
When I was looking at getting a refractor it kinda came down to getting one of these or the 130 triplet. One of the main reasons I went smaller was for exactly the same reason you were worried about, weight with an EQ6 Pro/variant.

It looks like a beautiful scope though
Old 03-09-2015, 07:40 PM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

great stuff, looks like it is performing well, keep the pics and reviews coming !
Old 03-09-2015, 07:45 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Time to get the SXVR-M25C on that baby and stop mucking around with the DSLR
Old 03-09-2015, 07:46 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Stars in the corners look nice and round at the IIS image scale. Nice one! The EQ6 handles the weight ok?
Old 03-09-2015, 07:54 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Looking good!
Old 03-09-2015, 08:31 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

That's a beast of a telescope! Great to hear the scope is living up to your expectations Rob.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:48 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Looks beautiful Rob. I should be right for Friday night. Will let you know.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:48 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Nice one, Rob!

Interesting that you didn't feel the need to refocus over 2hrs. Did you measure the resulting images (FWHM or other) at all, or was this by eye?

I think I can make out a flattener in one of the images; did yours come with it?
Old 03-09-2015, 09:34 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Looks like a very promising rig Rob. Hope you score plenty more clear blue skies like the ones in those pics!
Old 03-09-2015, 10:01 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Nice scope, Rob!
Old 03-09-2015, 11:27 PM
h0ughy (David)

you need a bigger mount - just to hold that smile up
Old 04-09-2015, 08:37 AM
RobC (Rob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Looking really nice!
When I was looking at getting a refractor it kinda came down to getting one of these or the 130 triplet. One of the main reasons I went smaller was for exactly the same reason you were worried about, weight with an EQ6 Pro/variant.

It looks like a beautiful scope though
Thanks Atmos . The AZ-EQ6 never fails to amaze me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Time to get the SXVR-M25C on that baby and stop mucking around with the DSLR
I am saving it for you Lewis. The DSLR is just so much easier to use when experimenting with new gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonH View Post
Looking good!
Thanks Morton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
That's a beast of a telescope! Great to hear the scope is living up to your expectations Rob.
You are correct it is a beast. Nearly fell over backwards when I first opened the case. Thanks Slaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
Looks beautiful Rob. I should be right for Friday night. Will let you know.
Thanks Alex. Hope you can make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
Nice one, Rob!

Interesting that you didn't feel the need to refocus over 2hrs. Did you measure the resulting images (FWHM or other) at all, or was this by eye?

I think I can make out a flattener in one of the images; did yours come with it?
Thanks Lee. Measured by eye. I will run some FWHM tests on the images and get back to you. I was rushing to get some imagery before the moon rose. The flattener was included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Looks like a very promising rig Rob. Hope you score plenty more clear blue skies like the ones in those p
ics!
Thanks Rob. Praying for clear skies for the next two weeks. I will be out every night if there are clear skies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Nice scope, Ro
b!
Thanks Rick. Remember I chatted to you before ordering it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
you need a bigger mount - just to hold that smile up
You are correct David. I was worried I might have to purchase an EQ8 to mount it. However at the moment everything seems bloody wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnium View Post
great stuff, looks like it is performing well, keep the pics and reviews coming !
Thanks Somnium - It was a bit of a gamble outlaying the cash to purchase it. Now I wished I had purchased when I initially got into Astro

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
Stars in the corners look nice and round at the IIS image scale. Nice one! The EQ6 handles the weight ok?
Thanks Troy. Needs the flattener to get round stars in the corner. Next step is to test with a full frame camera.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:22 AM
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

Nice scope Rob, very tempting after pricing a Tak TOA-150B recently. It looks like the Esprit would be a close match to the Tak which costs $14,243 for the bare OTA (doesn't include rings, case, dovetail, diagonal or finder). The Esprit at around $6,500 is certainly a good price. Mind you, while not in the same class, I bought a brand new SkyWatcher Black Diamond D150mm/F1200mm doublet refractor on special earlier in the year at $645 and it is great visually, sharp, light, very little CA (further reduced with a fringe filter) and great for star parties.

Good luck with your new scope.

Cheers, Steve
Old 04-09-2015, 10:29 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

I might be wrong, but given the seeing conditions in our corner of Australia, all else being equal, I doubt that the difference between Tak and Esprit would be sufficient to justify extra $8000-9000 AUD (after adding the cost of the rings etc...). Unless perhaps someone has a very large CCD?

Last edited by Slawomir; 04-09-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:23 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Looks a beauty mate, congrats on your new scope
Old 04-09-2015, 02:33 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC View Post
Thanks Troy. Needs the flattener to get round stars in the corner. Next step is to test with a full frame camera.
Thanks mate. Interesting - the product website mentions that it has inbuilt flattener at the focuser end for round stars, implying you don't need one. That's why I asked.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:40 AM
RobC (Rob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniPol View Post
Nice scope Rob, very tempting after pricing a Tak TOA-150B recently. It looks like the Esprit would be a close match to the Tak which costs $14,243 for the bare OTA (doesn't include rings, case, dovetail, diagonal or finder). The Esprit at around $6,500 is certainly a good price. Mind you, while not in the same class, I bought a brand new SkyWatcher Black Diamond D150mm/F1200mm doublet refractor on special earlier in the year at $645 and it is great visually, sharp, light, very little CA (further reduced with a fringe filter) and great for star parties.

Good luck with your new scope.

Cheers, Steve
Steve , my sentiments exactly . All of the overseas reviews have equated the Esprit to its higher priced competitors. I communicated with a few Canadians who are experienced with the higher end competitors and they strongly advised me to purchase the Esprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
I might be wrong, but given the seeing conditions in our corner of Australia, all else being equal, I doubt that the difference between Tak and Esprit would be sufficient to justify extra $8000-9000 AUD (after adding the cost of the rings etc...). Unless perhaps someone has a very large CCD?
I think you are spot on the mark Slaw. Even with better seeing conditions I doubt whether the Esprit would be outperformed. Any comparison would require some very objective testing on very expensive mounts. The flat image circle quoted for the Esprit is 44 mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
Thanks mate. Interesting - the product website mentions that it has inbuilt flattener at the focuser end for round stars, implying you don't need one. That's why I asked.
Troy. The country dealers decide what items are provided with the Esprits. The flattener came with my Esprit and screws onto the back of the focuser. They did manufacture some Esprits with built in flatteners. I am not sure whether they still manufacture these. My buddy Lewis said they had a few problems with these.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:52 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC View Post
The country dealers decide what items are provided with the Esprits. The flattener came with my Esprit and screws onto the back of the focuser. They did manufacture some Esprits with built in flatteners. I am not sure whether they still manufacture these. My buddy Lewis said they had a few problems with these.
In Europe for example, the Esprits come without the flattener but include an eyepiece

Regarding the in-built, according to a chap at SW the 100 originally came in two versions, one with 5 elements (built-in flattener) at f/5 and a conventional triplet at f/5.5 with thread-on 2 element flattener...the latter is the only one that survived
Old 05-09-2015, 11:35 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

That's interesting; my 120 came with an eyepiece, and I think Rob's one did too; if I'm not mistaken there's one in the third slot from the left.

I wonder what the US ones are shipping with.

I saw on SGL (primarily UK forum) some unhappiness about the Esprits no longer shipping with the flattener, supposedly due to sourcing issues.

Maybe we're actually getting the best of both worlds.