ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2015, 10:25 PM
britgc (Bret)

I performed both a Windows 10 upgrade and a clean install (after purchasing an SSD) on my desktop.

I had no problems with either process and haven't run into any problems to date in the month I've been using it.

Even prior to the SSD clean install, things ran at the very least just as well as they did before if not better.

Very happy overall.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:36 PM
Garbz (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgerdes View Post
If you click on your power settings icon, then right click the screen brightness, you can set in 1% increments via a slider.
The point of the button was to have easy access for a touchscreen tablet. Having to open the power settings is something that is absurd. It's quite a shame too since Microsoft is the standout here who implemented effectively what was a feature in every other mobile OS and then removed it and replaced it with something less functional.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:09 PM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

Same Old, Same Old

One Laptop, and One Desktop (Media Centre) upgraded successfully (2~3hrs each).
Then the Dell Desktop.
After 2~3hrs it is on 47% installed. After 10hrs, it is still on 47% installed and the HDD etc, have all gone to sleep mode.
So, not wanting to reformat, and no way to go backwards to Win7 (because rebooting just bought up the Win10 start graphic and sat there indefinitely). I loaded Puppy Linux from a CD drive and copied the Bootmanager, and bootmnger.efi, the autorun.ini and setup.exe from the Win10 install disk root directory into the root directory of my C;/ drive and rebooted the computer.
this was all wishful thinking, and it worked. The PC removed Win10 and re-installed Win 7 with the option to go back to the last restore point.
So glad because that whole reformat, re-install software thing takes days.
So that's my experience and may help someone who has problems.
I recommend always having a copy of Puppy Linux on a CD/DVD for such emergencies. It has been helpful on more than one occasion to boot a Linux OS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2015-11-08 07.01.32.jpg)
94.5 KB11 views
Click for full-size image (2015-11-08 11.28.46.jpg)
122.1 KB13 views
Old 10-11-2015, 08:46 AM
frolinmod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbz View Post
- The control panel replacement is still quite poor and doesn't include all the features. Worse still they've removed a link to the control panel so the only way I've figured out how to start it is to type "Control Panel" into the search.
Right click on the window icon and select "Control Panel." Yup, it's the Windows 7 control panel.
Old 16-11-2015, 03:42 PM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

Upgraded a little Lenovo last night and opted out of the 'Check For Upgrades' to speed up the initial install.
When it got to the Checking Computer for Final install bit it sat for 45mins doing this, and downloaded over 300MB. Sneaky.
Old 16-11-2015, 04:31 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
Upgraded a little Lenovo last night and opted out of the 'Check For Upgrades' to speed up the initial install.
When it got to the Checking Computer for Final install bit it sat for 45mins doing this, and downloaded over 300MB. Sneaky.
It wasn't checking, it already *knew* what you needed.
Old 18-11-2015, 06:52 PM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

Apparently so. All i wanted was a quick install. Foolish Trev.
Still it's way better than the 'good old days' when i had to sit through 43 floppy disks to install MS Office :-)
Old 18-11-2015, 08:24 PM
uwahl (Ulrich)
Mr Avalot To'Learn

Unloaded Win 10 after one week. It crashed Flight Sim X every time . For someone who likes to fly 747's in his office that's a no no.

Ulrich