Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 16-11-2020, 09:46 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Only just saw this one. Wow, what a stunner. Such amazing resolution. Look at that blue ring around the core of the smaller galaxy. Is that all new star formation going on?

Greg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Impressive details in that bright core. Nicely done.
Thanks men I assume Greg, lots of blue stars? I can't make out any HII but that could just be a resolution issue?..generally speaking we would assume blue stars are likely to be rather cosmically young...unless, like is hypothesised in globular clusters (think Blue Stragglers), they have resulted from the merger of two big old stars...?

Mike
Old 16-11-2020, 01:50 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Wow Mike, that is awesome! Love the galaxy structure!
Old 16-11-2020, 03:03 PM
h0ughy (David)

What can I say, still trying to comprehend what you gathered but it looks cool
Old 16-11-2020, 06:46 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
Wow Mike, that is awesome! Love the galaxy structure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
What can I say, still trying to comprehend what you gathered but it looks cool
Thanks guys, it's a rather unique galaxy (dance) huh?...and not imaged that often really either

Mike
Old 16-11-2020, 06:49 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

That's awesome, astonishing, and wonderful Mike. I'm amazed that you could pull all that out in only 14 hours. The F/3.8 helped I guess.

Helps one to visualize the process of interaction between the two galaxies.

Very best,
MBJ
Old 16-11-2020, 07:13 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Awesome job, Mike! Doesn't get any better than that. Wasn't sure on the composition until I saw the enhanced luminance with the faint tidal tail and then it all made sense... I don't remember that tail from when I imaged it. Again, awesome job!
Old 16-11-2020, 08:13 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
That's awesome, astonishing, and wonderful Mike. I'm amazed that you could pull all that out in only 14 hours. The F/3.8 helped I guess.

Helps one to visualize the process of interaction between the two galaxies.

Very best,
MBJ
Thanks Mikey and Trishy ...certainly a mess has been created

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
Awesome job, Mike! Doesn't get any better than that. Wasn't sure on the composition until I saw the enhanced luminance with the faint tidal tail and then it all made sense... I don't remember that tail from when I imaged it. Again, awesome job!
If you can't see that tail-loop in the main colour image, you ain't got yer monitor calibrated properly for brightness/contrast mate , it stands out nicely on both my monitors and the ones at work, particularly if the room isn't too bright

No, there are very few images out there that show this faint tail/loop actually

Mike
Old 16-11-2020, 08:48 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Definitely stunning in many aspects. Technically very informative and a visual extravaganza
Old 16-11-2020, 08:59 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
If you can't see that tail-loop in the main colour image, you ain't got yer monitor calibrated properly for brightness/contrast mate , it stands out nicely on both my monitors and the ones at work, particularly if the room isn't too bright
I'm less convinced of that than you are. I suspect you run your monitors way brighter than I find comfortable. I don't need my monitor frying my retinas every time I look at it.

If I turn my monitor up to its brightest setting, I can see a hint of that tail loop in the "main colour image", I definitely wouldn't say it stands out nicely. My monitor is calibrated with a Spyder.

I think the key is how bright our monitors are. I find it most comfortable when "white" is about as bright as a piece of standard printer paper is under the current lighting conditions; I thus adjust my monitor accordingly throughout the day. You may say I run it too dark. I think I would find yours uncomfortably bright. I have the feeling when you get prints done they probably seem way too dark too.
Old 16-11-2020, 09:13 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderscope View Post
Definitely stunning in many aspects. Technically very informative and a visual extravaganza
Thanks a lot Rod , there aren't too many galaxy tangos like this up there, certainly not many as close as 60 Million Lyrs anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
I'm less convinced of that than you are. I suspect you run your monitors way brighter than I find comfortable. I don't need my monitor frying my retinas every time I look at it.

If I turn my monitor up to its brightest setting, I can see a hint of that tail loop in the "main colour image", I definitely wouldn't say it stands out nicely. My monitor is calibrated with a Spyder.

I think the key is how bright our monitors are. I find it most comfortable when "white" is about as bright as a piece of standard printer paper is under the current lighting conditions; I thus adjust my monitor accordingly throughout the day. You may say I run it too dark. I think I would find yours uncomfortably bright. I have the feeling when you get prints done they probably seem way too dark too.
He he, easy solution then, when you are looking at one of my images, hey, turn your screen brightness up so you can see it more how I see it ...you can then turn it back down again, call it Mike setting

Mike
Old 19-11-2020, 02:30 PM
topheart

Well done Mike!
Very illustrative.... would have been a shame to remove the background thinking it was a gradient in the image!!

Cheers,
Tim
Old 19-11-2020, 03:38 PM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

Amazing image Mike!

Haven't had a chance to look at everything yet but will have a good long on the big monitor when I get home.
Old 19-11-2020, 05:38 PM
John Hothersall

Comparison with 2.2m scope shows pretty similar dust contrast although the big scope shows smaller stars as expected - the comparison is a great benchmark to how well you have done - always love these side by side. Enhanced luminance is superb.

John.
Old 19-11-2020, 10:26 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by topheart View Post
Well done Mike!
Very illustrative.... would have been a shame to remove the background thinking it was a gradient in the image!!

Cheers,
Tim
Thanks Timbo, ha ha yeah, I am sure plenty have done this before when processing this baby

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post
Amazing image Mike!

Haven't had a chance to look at everything yet but will have a good long on the big monitor when I get home.
Cheers Pete and remember to have your screen brightness up and view in a darkened surrounds if possible, the faint outer tidal tails should be more obvious then

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hothersall View Post
Comparison with 2.2m scope shows pretty similar dust contrast although the big scope shows smaller stars as expected - the comparison is a great benchmark to how well you have done - always love these side by side. Enhanced luminance is superb.

John.
Thanks John, was happy with the capture overall
How's your big 350 going? Still shooting any deep sky?

Mike
Old 20-11-2020, 07:15 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I can see I am eventually going to have to replace my old SCT (And the camera that is attached to it) I shot the same target with that combo for 11 and a bit hours of 300 second subs (The ASI294 does not reward longer subs than that) and it just lacks that final bit of sharpness.

I can't complain too much having pressed pretty marginally suitable gear in to service, but my image is certainly not a patch on yours!
Old 20-11-2020, 02:14 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
I can see I am eventually going to have to replace my old SCT (And the camera that is attached to it) I shot the same target with that combo for 11 and a bit hours of 300 second subs (The ASI294 does not reward longer subs than that) and it just lacks that final bit of sharpness.

I can't complain too much having pressed pretty marginally suitable gear in to service, but my image is certainly not a patch on yours!
Generally speaking, SCT's seem quite good for lucky imaging for planets but seem to deliver slightly under par for deep sky, with the resolution suffering and the stars tending to look somewhat blobby. Of course, like you have demonstrated, there are still many fine images taken with a SCT, they just never seem quite as crisp as those taken using their RC/Newt brethren

Mike
Old 20-11-2020, 03:03 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Yeah, at the limits it just seems to be a bit soft, I know it was in focus as Voyager really nails focus from what I can see, and lacking a temperature sensor I have it set up to burn a bit of imaging time and do focus runs quite often (The SCT shifts focus dramatically with temperature changes)

I really can't complain, I bought it as a visual scope and that was ten years ago! Maybe time for it to retire back to putting light into squishy eyeballs again and get/make something more suitable.
Old 21-11-2020, 05:10 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
Yeah, at the limits it just seems to be a bit soft, I know it was in focus as Voyager really nails focus from what I can see, and lacking a temperature sensor I have it set up to burn a bit of imaging time and do focus runs quite often (The SCT shifts focus dramatically with temperature changes)

I really can't complain, I bought it as a visual scope and that was ten years ago! Maybe time for it to retire back to putting light into squishy eyeballs again and get/make something more suitable.
Just enjoy the process (pardon the pun) the challenge and most importantly the fun this game brings, there are enough imagers whose pursuit of absolute perfection in imaging consumes them to a point of losing touch with what they are actualy doing and that's capturing scenes and portraits of amazing celestial and cosmic intrigue, a half decent image can be very satisfying...it doesn't need to be perfect or a prize winner ...amen

Mike

Last edited by strongmanmike; 21-11-2020 at 07:23 AM.
Old 21-11-2020, 07:51 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Just enjoy the process (pardon the pun) the challenge and most importantly the fun this game brings, there are enough imagers whose pursuit of absolute perfection in imaging consumes them to a point of losing touch with what they are actualy doing and that's capturing scenes and portraits of amazing celestial and cosmic intrigue, a half decent image can be very satisfying...it doesn't need to be perfect or a prize winner ...amen

Mike
Good point Mike. The whole activity is a lot of fun plus it gets you out in the environment looking at the night sky. The environment takes on its own beauty at night. After all we are in Australia where a lot of life only comes out at night.

Greg.
Old 21-11-2020, 07:59 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Good point Mike. The whole activity is a lot of fun plus it gets you out in the environment looking at the night sky. The environment takes on its own beauty at night. After all we are in Australia where a lot of life only comes out at night.

Greg.
+ + + + + + + ..?...yeah + more = (of course, be careful, cause all that = )