Old 11-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Kirkus (Kirk)
Beginner-ish

Matty P, my new hero (ISS Photography)

I love watching ISS passes! Don't know why, but they really knock my socks off. I've been following Matty P's adventures in photographing it. And although I've thought about trying myself, I always figured it was too difficult. Well, I decided to give it a go tonight.

It passed at 70 degrees and about -2.0 or so. I'd downloaded tracking info from the Meade website and installed it on my Autostar. I figured I'd let the mount at least give me a head start...

What I got from the Autostar was "No Pass Soon." And then, there it was right on time, with me manually controlling the mount. I'm sure I looked like a goof ball. I was freaking out! I hit record on the laptop, did a bizarre sort of contortion so I could see through the view finder, and chased the thing across the sky. Through the FOV and out the other end. Through the FOV and out the end. I actually got the giggles imaging what this must look like should a neighbor be spying on me.

Anyway, in the end, I have over 5,000 of the most beautiful empty black frames. LOL.

For Matty P ---->

You're a better man than I am.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Hi Kirkus,

Sounds like you had a fun time trying to capture the ISS. It is definitely not for the faint hearted. I get a real buzz when I watch an ISS passing.

I can still remember the first time I attempted to capture the ISS. I was set up ready for the passing. A minute passed and still no ISS. Luckily I spotted it rising in the opposite direction behind me. I had to pick up the scope and reposition it. The adrenalin really started to pump.

All in all, it is definitely a difficult task but as you get more and more comfortable following a small dot across that darts across the sky, I'm sure you will be able to capture the ISS.

Keep at it and good luck for next time.

What camera were you using?
Old 11-06-2008, 06:15 PM
madtuna (Steve)
an overactive imagination

yeppers...he got me hooked on chasing the ISS.

bugger the IIS beanies...I want a Matty P T-shirt
Old 11-06-2008, 06:48 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
What I got from the Autostar was "No Pass Soon." And then, there it was right on time, with me manually controlling the mount. I'm sure I looked like a goof ball. I was freaking out! I hit record on the laptop, did a bizarre sort of contortion so I could see through the view finder, and chased the thing across the sky. Through the FOV and out the other end. Through the FOV and out the end. I actually got the giggles imaging what this must look like should a neighbor be spying on me.

Anyway, in the end, I have over 5,000 of the most beautiful empty black frames. LOL.

For Matty P ---->

You're a better man than I am.
I can relate to that! I've felt the wind in my hair and the bugs in my teeth just watching it pass in the 20x80's (let alone through a scope!).

It's a totally different type of imaging... time pressured!

Keep it up! Those 5000 black frames make 1 capture all the more precious! (and fun!)

Al.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:52 PM
madtuna (Steve)

hehe..yep I remember chasing it for close on 2 minutes in the telrad when I happened to glance down at the lappy and saw I hadn't turned the capture on.
Damn thing was -5 with the shuttle hanging off and dirrectly overhead
Old 11-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

It feels like forever since I have imaged the ISS.

I must check the Heavens Above website for the next bright passing.

Hey Steve, Have you given up at imaging the ISS?
Old 11-06-2008, 08:10 PM
madtuna (Steve)

hell no! I'm only just starting...the damn clouds just won't cooperate!
Old 12-06-2008, 02:33 AM
Kirkus (Kirk)
Beginner-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty P View Post
Hi Kirkus,

Sounds like you had a fun time trying to capture the ISS. It is definitely not for the faint hearted. I get a real buzz when I watch an ISS passing.

I can still remember the first time I attempted to capture the ISS. I was set up ready for the passing. A minute passed and still no ISS. Luckily I spotted it rising in the opposite direction behind me. I had to pick up the scope and reposition it. The adrenalin really started to pump.

All in all, it is definitely a difficult task but as you get more and more comfortable following a small dot across that darts across the sky, I'm sure you will be able to capture the ISS.

Keep at it and good luck for next time.

What camera were you using?
It's 480x600 firewire webcam conected to my laptop. I had it set up to record 30 fps. I used the moon as a focusing aid. I focused on it then backed the focuser off a bit. I'm sure I'd have had something had the settings been correct in the capture software. I'll need to learn the same way you did... adjust the camera settings from last time.

I'm pretty sure my gain was way too low this time around, so I'll open it up a bit next time.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:08 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
It's 480x600 firewire webcam conected to my laptop. I had it set up to record 30 fps. I used the moon as a focusing aid. I focused on it then backed the focuser off a bit. I'm sure I'd have had something had the settings been correct in the capture software. I'll need to learn the same way you did... adjust the camera settings from last time.

I'm pretty sure my gain was way too low this time around, so I'll open it up a bit next time.
Good luck.

I am looking forward to seeing some ISS images from you.