Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-08-2020, 10:48 AM
Quopaz (Nick)

Jupiter 16/8

Jupiter last night. The red spot is a lot closer to that small circle below it than it was a couple months ago. Don't know if they can hit each other, but it would be interesting to see what would happen if they did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (004_pipp_lapl5_ap475 - Copy.jpg)
7.4 KB116 views
Old 16-08-2020, 12:17 PM
Tulloch (Andrew)

Nice one - as you say, the "Oval BA" (as it's called) is getting closer and closer to the GRS - it's the subject of quite a bit of discussion on the CN website as they get closer...

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/7...inkythicklepop
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/7...on-predictions

Andrew
Old 26-08-2020, 01:02 AM
Quopaz (Nick)

Jupiter tonight 25/8:
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (012_pipp_lapl5_ap397.jpg)
7.1 KB23 views
Old 26-08-2020, 09:40 PM
Quopaz (Nick)

Interesting one tonight, 26/8. Lots of colours and spots. The red spot is just disappearing off the right edge. Normally I'd stop filming before then if I was trying to get the red spot, so it's a bit of a different view. Just had a bit of good seeing for this video, the ones before and after weren't as good. (Telescope not properly cooled down before, then I had cloud and dew issues after).
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (004_pipp_lapl5_ap419.jpg)
6.2 KB11 views
Old 28-08-2020, 04:41 PM
Quopaz (Nick)

Jupiter last night, 27/8. With red spot and Io's shadow. Oval BA getting close to red spot, also looks like a big storm up the top. Wasn't a good night for seeing with 100% humidity. Heavy dew and everything fogged up quickly and got wet. By morning there was a thick fog till about 9am. As my primary mirror fogs up I notice the view on the camera get darker and darker, till I have to pack up. This seems to happen a lot in my area. Maybe I need a way to defog the mirror so I can keep going. But the seeing isn't real good anyway on these heavy dew nights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (003_pipp_lapl5_ap462.jpg)
5.9 KB10 views
Old 28-08-2020, 09:19 PM
Tulloch (Andrew)

Nice images Nick, but usually the dewy nights are sometimes the best ones (it usually means there's no wind and cold). To clear the dew off the corrector plate I use a portable fan heater, blowing gently onto the glass. Others use a hair dryer (but these can be quite loud in the middle of the night ). Warm the glass until it is clear, wait a few minutes for the warm air to dissipate and you are ready to go again! Repeat as necessary, some nights I need to use the heater after every capture.

Andrew
Old 28-08-2020, 09:51 PM
Quopaz (Nick)

Thanks Andrew, yes often no wind, cold and clear, but heavy dew. I will try with a hair dryer, I was a bit worried about the telescope having to cool down again. Even tonight (28/8, I just got back in from doing jupiter and saturn) seeing was very good but I fogged up again with dew and the camera view goes dark. Might need to get a longer extension cord so the hair dryer reaches outside. Oval BA is just about level with the red spot now, and there is something going on up above the top cloud belt. Jupiter about an hour ago:
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (021_pipp_lapl5_ap413.jpg)
6.9 KB10 views
Old 29-08-2020, 09:39 PM
Quopaz (Nick)

Callisto's shadow later on last night, after the seeing had gone bad. Got it anyway because it's the first time I've had a chance. Seems like it's been out of sync this year, doesn't come around very often and when it does it's in daytime.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (001_pipp_lapl5_ap395.jpg)
5.1 KB4 views