Old 10-04-2009, 10:18 AM
cucmbere (Bob)

Telescope views ISS

Hi,

With the week ahead of evening passes what can I expect to see through the scope tracking manually? What mag. and/or FOV do you recommend. I am doing some prep. to help with this inaugaural(for me) event.

Thanks,

Bob.
12" Newt/Dob.
Melbourne.

P.S. What would be angular dimensions(approx.) at close passes?
Old 13-04-2009, 07:12 PM
cucmbere (Bob)

RE: Telscope view of ISS

Ok, this is my obs. of the ISS just a few minutes ago using a 12" Newt/Dob
with 12mm Nagler e.p. yeilding 127X and 37 arcmin FOV.

Through the Telrad I saw the ISS was going to move through the bullseye exactly where the heavens-above website had predicted for my location, so I looked through the eyepiece and along it came, approximately center the FOV. It was moving slow enough (2-3 sec.) for me to see a bright pair of rectangular solar panels and a fainter long thin appendage. I had enough time to move the scope ahead so that it would pass again through the e.p`s FOV. The solar panels looked too bright and washed out the scene if there would be any more detail to be seen.

In hindsight, to use more magnification would require more precise placement in the ISS path and it well just be that there would be just one shot at it but it would also mean seeing more detail.

The Heavens-Above websites finder chart was spot on at placing the satellite path for my location! There will be 2 passes tomorrow evening and with the forecast for a sunny day I think I will try for more magnification.

Bob.