Old 07-04-2008, 04:04 PM
desler

First post for ages.

It seems like ages since I've had the chance to post or even get the 12 inch out and have a relax, with work, school holidays and the rest of it, oh and not to mention the cloud and sometimes unbelievable wind. Obs from about midnight 6/04 to about 3.30am.

Got a look at M65 and 66 of the famed Leo triplet, unable to make out NGC 3268. Found them following the line of Subra, Regulus, Saturn, 52 Leo, and Chort and then going up halfway to 78 Lot Leo.

Checked out M104 again and always enjoy finding the shark.

Worked my way through Scorpius. Looked at M4, M80, NGC 6242, NGC 6281, 6231, 6322, M7, M6, Nash in Sagittarius, M8, here's the question is M8 the Lagoon and Hourglass nebula or are they different?, M20 Trifid Nebula, M21 and finally Omega Centauri and Jewel Box were just stunning in abou the clearest, still night I've spent in the back yard.

Take it easy

Darren
Old 07-04-2008, 09:29 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Sounds good to me, Darren. I haven't had a clear night out in ages! Soon, I hope.

The Hourglass Nebula (as distinct from the Hourglass Planetary Nebula) is a bright bit in the Lagoon Nebula (M8), according to what I read here:-

http://seds.org/Messier/more/m008_det.html

Maybe someone can point it out to us on Bert's image?

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=30426
Old 08-04-2008, 12:14 AM
desler

Your research abilities are, as usual, humbling!

Thanks Eric.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Rob_K

Nice report Darren, sounds like you had fun!

The Hourglass, a planetary nebula, is often burnt out in photos because of the relative brightness of that area of the Lagoon Nebula. Didn't check Bert's image, but here's a link to a fairly fuzzy image which nonetheless shows the Hourglass pretty well. It's down in the bottom right corner in the brightest bit. Right next to a star, you can see the tiny white 'hourglass' shape.

http://www.calvin.edu/academic/phys/...-Hourglass.jpg

Cheers -
Old 08-04-2008, 04:50 PM
desler

Thanks

Thanks Rob,

Now I just have to sit up and find the hourglass for myself. The one really great thing about getting into astronomy is the help I've received in figuring out what to buy, what to look at and then explaining what I'm actually seeing!!!!

Clear skies to all

Darren