ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-07-2019, 01:22 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Another anniversary - The Bird Strike

With all the interest in the moon landing anniversary it's easy to forget that today is also the tenth anniversary of the discovery of an impact event on Jupiter by Anthony 'Bird' Wesley. Unlike Comet Shoemaker–Levy 9 where the impactor was visible and the event was predicted in advance this imactor was only about mag. 25 and was not seen before the event - it just happened that Anthony was taking high-resolution images at the right time. Isn't it great when such amazing, and scientifically important, discoveries are made by an amateur?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Jupiter_impact_event

Old 20-07-2019, 08:06 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
With all the interest in the moon landing anniversary it's easy to forget that today is also the tenth anniversary of the discovery of an impact event on Jupiter by Anthony 'Bird' Wesley. Unlike Comet Shoemaker–Levy 9 where the impactor was visible and the event was predicted in advance this imactor was only about mag. 25 and was not seen before the event - it just happened that Anthony was taking high-resolution images at the right time. Isn't it great when such amazing, and scientifically important, discoveries are made by an amateur?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Jupiter_impact_event

Wow - 10 years ago...

I think I must be travelling close to the speed of light in my own reference frame and suffering the consequences of temporal distortion as it seems like only yesterday.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 20-07-2019, 08:35 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Wow - 10 years ago...

I think I must be travelling close to the speed of light in my own reference frame and suffering the consequences of temporal distortion as it seems like only yesterday.

Cheers

Dennis

I was thinking the same thing. No way it's been 10 years already.