Old 11-07-2019, 10:24 PM
Gavin1234

Tri-band filter for OSC?

Wondering what you guys think about these?https://optcorp.com/products/radian-...d-ultra-filter

I’ve been really impressed with some of the images I’ve seen using NB filters on one shot colour cameras. Chris V’s in particular.

I love the look of NB coloured images.

These ones are pretty expensive but I haven’t bought any new gear for a while so I’m thinking about getting one of them.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:03 PM
casstony

Its going to be about $1800 imported; it should work well but I'm guessing there will be cheaper options in future.
Also regardless of the filter the end result is more reliant on the person behind the keyboard (ie. processing).

Last edited by casstony; 11-07-2019 at 11:24 PM.
Old 13-07-2019, 04:56 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

This filter looks interesting, but its going to cost heaps. There's also the triad filter. They might have an advantage of narrow bands around OIII. But otherwise their end use will be the same as the Duo filters when you split the R and B/G channels on an OSC camera

I'm using the STC duo. I like it and was about $450-500?
There's also the more recent optolong L-enhance which I understand might be cheaper? And it looks like the Duo. A few people on cloudynights have just got it, so might be worth keeping an eye on the threads there.

I find the Duo works really well on objects that easily split Halpha and OIII. If its doesn't the Halpha just swamps the OIII - you'll see that on a lot of shots over ob cloudynights. I've found for these objects you have to split the channels and follow a narrowband workflow - and I'm still trying to figure this out

Edit: just noticed Tomy's response. Ouch $1800!!
Old 13-07-2019, 05:23 PM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
I find the Duo works really well on objects that easily split Halpha and OIII. If its doesn't the Halpha just swamps the OIII -
I'm curious to try the L-Enhance on 6188 that you used the STC on Chris, to see what happens with the colours.

I noticed that OIII and Ha both showed up really well on the Pencil neb so I'm keen to give it go on the whole Vela SNR with a Redcat I've got inbound.

The L-Enhance cost me AU$306 posted from Cyclops Optics when they had an introductory special.
Old 13-07-2019, 05:26 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

I found the pencil didn't need any special processing. It came out really well. So did Vela with my rokinon135mm.

But I had to split the dragon and do a narrowband type job. I've put up both somewhere here
Old 13-07-2019, 08:05 PM
Gavin1234

Yeah I’ll keep reading about these, the tri-band and duo’s.

I really like the look of the quad one even at $1800 but on the other hand that’s halfway to an asi1600mm and filter wheel with a full set of filters
Old 13-07-2019, 09:15 PM
RyanJones

Hi Gavin,

Chris V’s efforts sealed the deal with me buying the STC Duo and he’s producing beautiful images that are the benchmark id like to achieve. I had a look at the Triad and also the L-enhance after buying my filter and both seem to offer more in the O3 end of the spectrum. For me I had the same thoughts as you, once you get up in price you start to get towards the price of a much better camera than the one I’m using. One thing to bare in mind is the significantly longer subs required with NB imaging..... but it’s worth it !
Old 13-07-2019, 11:50 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Ryan makes a good point. Spend that much on one filter and you might as well think about a mono camera and filters