ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2019, 06:42 PM
E_ri_k (Erik)

Takahashi Focuser Slipping?

Hi all, I had a few autofocus issues of late and I thought it was software related, however just now while setting up I noticed that the focuser stops at a specific point (very close to if not exactly at the focal position) Moving the fine focus or the stepper motor won't budge it, it just turns the knob but not the draw tube. A coarse manual adjustment will push it past or forward from that point though and it operates normally.

I pulled the cover off underneath the focuser to expose the linear rack gear but I don't want to go much further yet. I assume the problem may lie in or around the reduction system in the fine/coarse focus gear.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Erik
Old 05-07-2019, 06:41 AM
rsbfoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_ri_k View Post
Hi all, I had a few autofocus issues of late and I thought it was software related, however just now while setting up I noticed that the focuser stops at a specific point (very close to if not exactly at the focal position) Moving the fine focus or the stepper motor won't budge it, it just turns the knob but not the draw tube. A coarse manual adjustment will push it past or forward from that point though and it operates normally.

I pulled the cover off underneath the focuser to expose the linear rack gear but I don't want to go much further yet. I assume the problem may lie in or around the reduction system in the fine/coarse focus gear.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Erik
Hi Erik,

You need more tension on the fine focusing device.

Here is an explanation how to adjust the tension of the MEF 10:1 gear.

https://www.buytelescopes.com/takaha...focuser-129196

regards Rainer