Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System

Old 01-07-2019, 04:17 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Jupiter, Brisbane, Sunday 30th Jun 2019

I decided to join the Jupiter party.

A little bit rusty, I had a bit of a struggle with both equipment and seeing last night (Sun), but managed to grab a decent 90 sec AVI of Jupiter, with other imaging runs a little soft due to the variable seeing and intermittent cloud bands that rolled through.

Not too sure what to make of FireCapture reporting an effective focal length of 5,800mm vs a calculated 6,037mm.

Cheers

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Jupiter M210_Tv2x5_ASI224MC 214529 Crop 800 Rev A Text.jpg)
92.1 KB74 views
Old 03-07-2019, 04:08 PM
andyc (Andy)

Super detail for a 210mm scope and only 90s data! Clearly the Mewlons do very well, Jean-Luc Dauvergne shows stunning images with similar kit from Paris.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:14 PM
John Hothersall

That's really not bad considering the terrible seeing we are having - you have not missed much as JStream wont leave SE QLD. You are using a really long Fl, although Mewlons are pretty capable. Meteoblue predicted good seeing on July 2nd - no show!

John.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:22 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Thanks Andy and John, I appreciate your comments.

After fixing my crashing PC problems, I initially tried the Tak x1.6 Extender then decided the seeing could tolerate a higher magnification, so I fitted a TeleVue x3 Barlow but the final image was bad, even when I stacked 1,000 frames.

I reverted to a TeleVue x2.5 PowerMate and blasted away to find that the seeing was gradually deteriorating, so I grabbed what I could.

Here is a link to an animation from the 10 best imaging runs. It is a link to my DropBox Account and I believe that you can by-pass all the “Please Join” or “Please Sign In” stuff and just click "Continue to view" the animation. It is 600Kb.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mztoa7l0je...-Norm.gif?dl=0

@John: I judged the seeing to be mostly between 5-6/10, based on Damian Peaches animations on his “Pickering Seeing” webpage, although often it was closer to 4-5/10.

http://www.damianpeach.com/pickering.htm

Cheers

Dennis