Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2019, 08:55 PM
John K

M8 Lagoon from LMDSS in Vic

Another image from last weekend at the ASV's LMDSS site.

M8 taken over 6 hours in LRGB. All images stacked were 180 seconds long. AP900 mount; CDK 9.5" f/7; ASI1600mm camera.

Could spend days processing M8 as the data was very good and I am fascinated by this object. Would like to try a far sharper version to see more detail in the nebular.

A higher res version image is here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnka...blic/lightbox/

Clear skies.

John K.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (FinalM8 copy.jpg)
198.4 KB71 views

Last edited by John K; 10-07-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:28 AM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Hi, John,

The image seems very soft, and the brighter stars bloated, compared with your recent magnificent Omega Centauri, where the stars were very sharp and resolved down to the core.

You mentioned that the underlying data seemed good. Perhaps you could reprocess being careful not to clip the brighter stars to white, deconvolve, and use a star mask to protect them while you wavelet sharpen the background ?

The depth is looking good already, so you can be very spartan with the noise reduction.

Best,
MnT
Old 11-07-2019, 07:36 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Details look quite sharp John but I would suggest that the colour needs a little tweaking.
I took the same FOV and resolution two weeks ago can ended up with a near identical colour in the Lagoon. I tried using some Hubble data of the Hourglass region and ours is a bit red biased and found I had to increase the blue for some of the bluer whisps to slow up around the central region.
Old 30-07-2019, 10:02 AM
John K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Details look quite sharp John but I would suggest that the colour needs a little tweaking.
I took the same FOV and resolution two weeks ago can ended up with a near identical colour in the Lagoon. I tried using some Hubble data of the Hourglass region and ours is a bit red biased and found I had to increase the blue for some of the bluer whisps to slow up around the central region.
Thanks Colin - getting the blue wisps out on this object I have found challenging.

In any case, here is a re-processed version, still not a sharp as I would like, so perhaps I would need to Ha data to overlay.

High Res here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnka...blic/lightbox/
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NewRGBCombo_PixInsightPhotometric_withLumCS3_ForPixInsight4_StarReduced_B_Web.jpg)
177.7 KB13 views
Old 30-07-2019, 10:06 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

It is looking more contrasty now
Old 30-07-2019, 09:24 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Solid effort John :-)

As Colin points out, it is quite red. My data looked very similar when I used PhotometricColorCalibration in PixInsight as I have been lately. That may indicate that it's more technically correct, but I prefer to have less monochromatic looking images.

I ended up just finding a dark spot and using BackgroundNeutralization on my data... that gave me more range in colour, but was too blue... I bumped the red and dropped the blue a bit from there... might still be too blue, I dunno. Nebulae are hard :p