Old 02-08-2012, 07:07 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeno View Post
Well.....
You talked me into it!
First major photographic purchase in over five years and first non Nikon in twenty.....

Maybe you should send Olympus an invoice...
Wow! Congratulations Deeno You're not alone, and are now the fifth friend to buy an OM-D in the last week. Have you picked it up already? I'm screaming for a free weekend to get out and give mine a real go. Have you ordered the Nikkor-MFT adaptor?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:57 AM
Deeno
“We are star-stuff”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaroo View Post
Wow! Congratulations Deeno You're not alone, and are now the fifth friend to buy an OM-D in the last week. Have you picked it up already? I'm screaming for a free weekend to get out and give mine a real go. Have you ordered the Nikkor-MFT adaptor?
Picked it up yesterday afternoon.
Feels good in the hand even though some of the buttons are a bit small for my larger than average digits.

First impressions is that the auto focus is super quick and quiet, looking forward to learning how to use it. Its going to take a while to be adept enough to take advantage of some of its features. Its like learning a new language, after speaking Nikon for so long....

Anyway, its early days yet and the instruction booklet (why can't they print one) is vague at best. And I think its a bit tight that Olympus don't include hoods with the lenses.

I love the retro look and its small, I mean tiny! If it performs as well as the reviews I've read on it claim, it will be quite a jump in performance over the old D200....

Haven't worried about the Nikon adaptor yet (did order the T-adaptor though)

Yes I'm excited!!!
Thanks Chris
Old 02-08-2012, 08:14 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Feels good in the hand even though some of the buttons are a bit small for my larger than average digits.

First impressions is that the auto focus is super quick and quiet, looking forward to learning how to use it. Its going to take a while to be adept enough to take advantage of some of its features. Its like learning a new language, after speaking Nikon for so long....

Anyway, its early days yet and the instruction booklet (why can't they print one) is vague at best. And I think its a bit tight that Olympus don't include hoods with the lenses.

I love the retro look and its small, I mean tiny! If it performs as well as the reviews I've read on it claim, it will be quite a jump in performance over the old D200....

Yes I'm excited!!!
Thanks Chris
Congrats on the new camera.

It sounds like an awesome machine.

There are so many fantastic cameras on the market at the moment.

Greg.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:20 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Yep, hoods are a pain. The machined aluminium hood for my 75mm f/1.8 is damn-near $100.

The PDF manual is much better than the printed starter guide, and covers all features, some in detail. I have it downloaded to my iPad and aspect ratio is perfect to read like a book.

I have big mitts too, and while the buttons are small, I've learned to navigate them in a few days of use in the dark. The only one I would like to see a little better is the NSEW multi-function switch. The switch petals could be deeper, letting you feel individual ones more easily. The other thing that annoys the crap out of me is the position of the power switch. Right at the bottom where the 5D-II's was. I really dislike it here, and wish they'd moved it up top somewhere. I guess that the front of the shutter button is out of bounds because of the sub-dial surrounding it, and the fact that the grip would interfere when mounted. It's no bogie, and certainly not a deal breaker.

One thing I'm getting to love is the EVF. Having it display EV in real time is brilliant. It makes selecting appropriate aperture or shutter speed so quick in manual mode.

I've made up a rubylith filter which slides over the monitor and is gripped by folds around the side of the monitor pane. Works fantastically at the scope.

Are you looking at any other lenses?
Old 02-08-2012, 08:23 AM
gregbradley

Quote:

Yes I'm excited!!!
Thanks Chris
Its a minor point but I must say I love the Nikon D800's power switch wrapped around the shutter button. Always easy to find even in the dark.

In fact overall I find the D800 has pleasing ergonomics. The menus are well thought out although I still find it hard to find certain things at times I know are there!

Greg.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:35 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Its a minor point but I must say I love the Nikon D800's power switch wrapped around the shutter button. Always easy to find even in the dark.
Hi Greg

It can't go there on the OM-D. The shutter button is surrounded by the aperture control sub-dial (if you've left it at its default dial assignment - you can swap them and even dial direction). With the front grip mounted, it's still easy enough to turn on the power one-handed, which is all I ask of a design.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:50 AM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

Chris, here is a little bargain...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AWkiZjHmmM

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fujian-35...item3cc951974e
Old 02-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidU View Post
LOL... Funny you mention this David - one was on its way Tuesday. Not bad value, and from what I've read, a top notch performer.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:08 AM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

Awesome, can't wait to see the piccies.
Quote:
LOL... Funny you mention this David - one was on its way Tuesday. Not bad value, and from what I've read, a top notch performer.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Here's an excellent blog on the OM-D at Cosplay. Most are taken with the 75mm f/1.8. Stunning lens. I love it even more now.

http://networkedblogs.com/AvrjP

Image 1 - full size: http://www.f8photography.com.hk/wp-c...fullsize-1.jpg
Old 02-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

And another from the same guy: http://www.f8photography.com.hk/blog...7/omdcambodia/

Old 02-08-2012, 02:27 PM
Deeno
“We are star-stuff”

Quote:
Yep, hoods are a pain. The machined aluminium hood for my 75mm f/1.8 is damn-near $100.

The PDF manual is much better than the printed starter guide, and covers all features, some in detail. I have it downloaded to my iPad and aspect ratio is perfect to read like a book.

I have big mitts too, and while the buttons are small, I've learned to navigate them in a few days of use in the dark. The only one I would like to see a little better is the NSEW multi-function switch. The switch petals could be deeper, letting you feel individual ones more easily. The other thing that annoys the crap out of me is the position of the power switch. Right at the bottom where the 5D-II's was. I really dislike it here, and wish they'd moved it up top somewhere. I guess that the front of the shutter button is out of bounds because of the sub-dial surrounding it, and the fact that the grip would interfere when mounted. It's no bogie, and certainly not a deal breaker.

One thing I'm getting to love is the EVF. Having it display EV in real time is brilliant. It makes selecting appropriate aperture or shutter speed so quick in manual mode.

I've made up a rubylith filter which slides over the monitor and is gripped by folds around the side of the monitor pane. Works fantastically at the scope.

Are you looking at any other lenses?

Not even thinking about lenses as yet. Don't know much about them. Plenty to choose from though! Even some of the Panasonic 4/3 have a good reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post

In fact overall I find the D800 has pleasing ergonomics. The menus are well thought out although I still find it hard to find certain things at times I know are there!

Greg.
Yes.
The D200 is the same. A flick to the right and the LCD display lights up as well to quickly check settings in the dark.

Didn't realise how used to the D200 I am. Make all sorts of changes on the fly while pressed up to the eyepiece.
Had a little play with the OM-D today while with my Daughter. Spent quite a bit of time wondering how to change settings....really need to read the instructions....and....practise,pra ctise practise.
The whole kit went into an old camera bag I had thats barely 200mm long, 100mm wide and maybe 100mm deep.

I'd love a D800 but, if I came home with that my wife would kill me...and then she would get really mad!

The Olympus isn't meant to replace the D200, its something I hope Amanda will use as well and to be able to easily cart it around when were out and about with the baby is a bonus.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:56 PM
Deeno
“We are star-stuff”

Wouldn't believe it.....dropped mine today!

At the playground with my favourite test subject (20 month old daughter) when it fell from a park bench to the concrete.

Apart from cracking the UV filter (never leave home without one).....not a mark.
Tough little camera!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Wouldn't believe it.....dropped mine today!

At the playground with my favourite test subject (20 month old daughter) when it fell from a park bench to the concrete.

Apart from cracking the UV filter (never leave home without one).....not a mark.
Tough little camera!
WHAT? You've only had it for a day or two...

It should be tough - it has a full magnesium body. It's sold as a pro camera, and people have reported that they take lots of punishment.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Deeno
“We are star-stuff”

Couldn't believe it. After all the abuse the Nikon has endured over the years, (mostly motorcycle related) I had never managed to actually drop it! And I've barely had the Olympus a week........