Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Closed Thread

Old 13-08-2019, 02:15 PM
taminga16 (Greg)

Buz Aldrin....

Whist I do not condone violence I felt that it was just of Buz Aldrin to react in the manner that he did.

https://www.facebook.com/RonEngelman...85853698858693
Old 13-08-2019, 02:38 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Buzz has been harassed by these idiots for decades , he should have followed up with a left hook
The only reason why his crew mates rarely confronted these morons is that they were not seen in public all that often and if they were , it was an organised event and there was security
At least Buzz is not afraid to walk in public ( outside a hotel ) , he speaks his mind even at nearly 90 years of age
I don’t condone violence either but enough is enough !!
Old 13-08-2019, 02:48 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

That nutter had it coming to him.

Go Buzz!!
Old 13-08-2019, 03:16 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Last night was good viewing ..this EVEN BETTER..I ADMIRE BUZZ.
Bigjoe.
Old 13-08-2019, 03:47 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Well I think that someone of such fame perhaps should offer a better example of how to behave.

The popular religion of USA is Christianity which above all calls for a man to love his fellow man which I suspect means to extend respect to others who may have a different opinion and even those folk you may find annoying I think are included in the call to love your fellow man.

If he is a Christian he is also a hypocrite.

Also there is a direction to "turn the other cheek" which certainly suggests that even if provocked one should let it pass.

And irrespective of your beliefs in the teachings I find his action disturbing if for no other reason than he is a hero and a roll model to millions of children..so what are you going to say to Johnny when he punches another kid because he was being annoying.

Or I have a chap who is 1000 times more annoying ..do I have licence to kill him or should I use the legal system to seek a restraining order or injunction...

Nevertheless what is perhaps worse than his action is the typical predictable response to his deplorable behaviour with everyone passing judgement with out knowing the facts not that one should be passing judgement but perhaps it is the person throwing a strike who should be judged.... Old age or hero status demands more of us not less.

For those that disagree with me please in your response describe to me how you will talk about this event with your grandchildren and how it is ok to strike someone who is merely annoying.

Alex
Old 13-08-2019, 03:48 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

That gutless hippie couldn't have achieved admission into the USAF as a janitor, not to mention pilot, or later Astronaut Corps.

Thanks OP, you've made my day. Please tell me that punk didn't press charges - I'd say justice was served and they're even.
Old 13-08-2019, 04:03 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
That gutless hippie couldn't have achieved admission into the USAF as a janitor, not to mention pilot, or later Astronaut Corps.

Thanks OP, you've made my day. Please tell me that punk didn't press charges - I'd say justice was served and they're even.
I am curious to know how you determined the victim was a hippie and further what relevance that or the other qualifications you have introduced make it ok for someone to strike another because they find them annoying.
What if the victim had stumbled backwards and hit his head on the pavement and died like so many have died in the past from a punch out of the blue...and whilst considering the relevance or irrelevance of his being a hippie or ineligible for certain jobs perhaps you could tell me how you feel when you hear of someone being struck outside a pub..or hotel by someone who found them annoying and subsequently died... do you hope that no charges "are pressed".

Perhaps if you thought a little about exactly what is at stake here you would not react with such lack of thought...I love cage fighting and perhaps may be one of the more aggressive individuals here but striking someone for being annoying is just plain wrong and cowardly to boot..his hero status has been lost.
Alex
Old 13-08-2019, 04:06 PM
AndyG (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
For those that disagree with me please in your response describe to me how you will talk about this event with your grandchildren and how it is ok to strike someone who is merely annoying.
Alex
"Ok, little Johnny, you see that old man there? He worked hard at life, and through personal sacrifice and beneficial opportunity, managed to go to the Moon long before you and your Sister Jane could casually take the space bus. Now you see that individual winding him up? He is the diametric opposite, and shows little promise, unlike the old man. Now whilst it's far from ideal to resort to violence over a simple verbal slight... sometimes it's just the quickest way put things to bed. Especially if you've made sufficient effort to retreat, they remain in your face, and bystanders do little. Hopefully both parties learnt from the experience, and approach life in a different way tomorrow "
Old 13-08-2019, 04:11 PM
AndyG (Andy)

Quote:
Perhaps if you thought a little about exactly what is at stake here you would not react with such lack of thought...
Everyone's life experience is different Alex, which naturally shapes our judgement on things. My experience led my thoughts to what I wrote. I'm not going to ruin this honestly wonderful thread with sob-stories however
Old 13-08-2019, 04:14 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Well Andy there is one think I agree with..."far from ideal"... Sums it up rather well.
The man could not control his emotion and deserves no support whatsoever.
Punches out of the blue belong to cowards..young or old..famous or not...all cowards.
Alex
Old 13-08-2019, 04:18 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex
I totally agree with “turn the other cheek”, but in this instance when Buzz laid his life on the line for humanity ( he did have a choice not to board that Saturn 5 and be sent hurtling through the vacuum of space at 40,000 km /hr towards the moon ) and has been targeted most of his life by annoying pests like this individual who obviously seeks self gratification by doing this useless action in public , at nearly 90 years of age , how much patience or self restraint does Buzz have to endure. I think this idiot subconsciously was asking for it
Once again I don’t condone violence but in this instance I’m glad Buzz took the matter into his own hands.
Old 13-08-2019, 04:24 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

To stop Aldrin once and question his integrity was OK. To continue to harass him incessantly like shown in the video, the guy got what he deserved.

What kind of a moron thinks it is OK to harass a 90 year old person who is going about his own business peacefully.
Old 13-08-2019, 04:32 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Whilst doing a Diploma of Justice in the 90's I became aware of the concept of ' Provocation ' under the Queensland Criminal Code.

It roughly stated ... if it was proved that the ' victim ' ( Buzz ) was sufficiently provoked by the ' offending party ', to act upon that provocation ( as Buzz did ) ...Buzz is not ' held ' criminally responsible for his actions.

Buzz was walking away , but the individual pursued Buzz to the point of ' Provocation ' whereby Buzz acted as his did... !!

If that ' idiot ' pressed charges .... it is very likely indeed to be thrown out of Court .....!!

There is such a thing as ' Provocation ' under the Queensland Criminal Code

One would hope it would apply to American Law also ...!!

Col...

Last edited by FlashDrive; 13-08-2019 at 06:32 PM. Reason: q
Old 13-08-2019, 04:50 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

In the USofA Aldrin's actions are likely to be deemed self defence as he was subjected to what amounts to harassment and could rightly claim that he held a fear of being physically harmed either directly (actual physical assault) or indirectly ( a fall while trying to evade the person so harassing him)

"Harassment is governed by state laws, which vary by state, but is generally defined as a course of conduct which annoys, threatens, intimidates, alarms, or puts a person in fear of their safety. Harassment is unwanted, unwelcomed and uninvited behavior that demeans, threatens or offends the victim and results in a hostile environment for the victim. Harassing behavior may include, but is not limited to, epithets, derogatory comments or slurs and lewd propositions, assault, impeding or blocking movement, offensive touching or any physical interference with normal work or movement..."
Old 13-08-2019, 04:51 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
To stop Aldrin once and question his integrity was OK. To continue to harass him incessantly like shown in the video, the guy got what he deserved.
Hi Matt
What kind of a moron thinks it is OK to harass a 90 year old person who is going about his own business peacefully.
Well I certainly do not think it is ok to harass a 90 year old or anyone for that matter so we won't have to waste time trying to work out what kind of a moron that I may be...your adhomium approach fails I am afraid...punches out of the blue are not heroic and there will be never be a justification and attacking the person who states that as decent behaviour will not allow you to avoid that fact.
lex
Old 13-08-2019, 05:00 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
I disagree..... see my post above
You disagree with what??? You are not clear on that ...
You do know the law is decided by judges on a case by case basis in effect because although statutes seem to be written clearly it bolos down to fitting the individual facts with the law.
So it is for the court to decide and I suspect it will find in Buzzes favour no doubt about it that.
Alex
Old 13-08-2019, 05:03 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Anyways I have to go and as much as I would like to answer stuff I won't be able to...so have a field day folks.
Good night
Alex
Old 13-08-2019, 05:10 PM
JA

Irrespective of whatever his religion may be he was being verbally assaulted at close quarters. One would have to be a fool to not expect a response at a conscious as well as sub/unconscious level via the sympathetic nervous system. It is not OK to put an aged person under such obvious strain, irrespective of what you think of his efforts on the moon or his religion.

A verbal assault of that kind will easily cause a flight/flight response, increase in heart rate, increase in blood pressure, release of stress hormones (cortisol etc..), raise the risk of stroke and heart attack, etc, so in actuality the "reporter's" actions, close quarter aggressive questioning and highly emotive /insulting language was not only unprofessional (if he is indeed some sort of reporter) but he is putting the sympathetic nervous system of a 90 year old under considerable stress. To me that is an assault, which he is entitled to defend himself against. I suspect the best thing was to end it immediately, which Buzz did.

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 13-08-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 13-08-2019, 05:17 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Well I think that someone of such fame perhaps should offer a better example of how to behave.

The popular religion of USA is Christianity which above all calls for a man to love his fellow man which I suspect means to extend respect to others who may have a different opinion and even those folk you may find annoying I think are included in the call to love your fellow man.

If he is a Christian he is also a hypocrite.

Also there is a direction to "turn the other cheek" which certainly suggests that even if provocked one should let it pass.

And irrespective of your beliefs in the teachings I find his action disturbing if for no other reason than he is a hero and a roll model to millions of children..so what are you going to say to Johnny when he punches another kid because he was being annoying.

Or I have a chap who is 1000 times more annoying ..do I have licence to kill him or should I use the legal system to seek a restraining order or injunction...

Nevertheless what is perhaps worse than his action is the typical predictable response to his deplorable behaviour with everyone passing judgement with out knowing the facts not that one should be passing judgement but perhaps it is the person throwing a strike who should be judged.... Old age or hero status demands more of us not less.

Alex
He could have just gone back inside I suppose
Old 13-08-2019, 06:18 PM
Multiverse (Grant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
He could have just gone back inside I suppose
What kind of world would that lead to? Letting the delusional forcing you to go 'back inside', maybe Buzz should have cowered under a desk - problem solved then?
Buzz has been putting up with these mentality challenged aggravaters for decades. This coward was banking on a 90 year old man not responding - well a surprise came so bad luck.
Closed Thread